• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB Transfer thread for 2022-23

Very cool to see Maryland recognize the caliber of Kubek and bring her into the program. Unfortunately, it is yet another reminder that everything Diane Richardson built up has to start from square one.

I think Laura Harper seems like a solid hire, and I will be interested to see how she builds off some the positive program momentum Richardson built. Everyone has to hit reset with the portal these days, but it is important that everyone knows what can be accomplished at Towson in women's hoops and that Harper builds off that. Richardson showed we can be a tournament team, and that should continue to be a goal moving forward.

Like the men's team, the women's squad built up a Net ranking that sat in the 60s to 80s because of the early season win over Florida and a strong non-conference performance. I don't expect that this year with a brand new start, but the years that both the men's and women's programs had should be what we strive for in the regular-season, and as has been mentioned repetitively being ready to win in the conference tournament. 

• Like 1

At least they added size. But was a backup center at Radford. Can't say I'm incredibly impressed with the transfer so far. I guess it's late in the game and she just got her staff together so it's tough. But you look at all the players lost and some were very impressive transfers (Nelson, Tucker) and others were strong recruits (Kubek, Gary). I just think they need a program-changer or even just an all-conference player. Maybe Kornegay-Lucas becomes that next season or one of the new freshmen and they do apparently have Skye Williams back as a grad student after averaging 7.4ppg two years ago as a starter. Both point guards coming in at least have experience and played at UMBC. But I don't see an Aleah Nelson in terms of a lead guard who can take over a game. I think Jordan Wakefield has the potential with consistent playing time, though her shooting numbers are not good (31%FG, 26% 3pt). Anissa Rivera will probably have to lead the team next season in scoring. The good thing is that they'll have more size in the post with Johnson (6-5) and sophomore Quinzia Fulmore (6-3).

https://radfordathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/taiye-johnson/6988

On 5/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, mat1992 said:

Ugh. Brenda poached her former player 

Towson in large part has themselves to blame for this.  I am not talking about Diane leaving. That is not Towson's fault. Diane had a better job opportunity. Good for her.  However, after years of being a substandard womens' basketball program, they finally have the pieces in place to still succeed.  The person that developed all of the practice plans, ran the practices, told the head coach whom she should look at when recruiting on the recruiting trail, contact the recruits, built relationships with the local coaches right down into middle school level,  and wanted the job when Diane left,  but for reasons we know having nothing to do with anything regarding basketball,  was denied the job.

Harper may be a good choice. She did a nice job at Coppin, albeit in a very small sample size. However, when you have a coach that was largely responsible for getting the players on last year's roster to Towson, dedicated countless hours to the program, and was going to keep the roster in large part in tact, you have to think that Towson's school and athletic administration have set-up Coach Harper to fail.