• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB Transfer thread for 2022-23

5 minutes ago, TUvet said:

I really don't want to head down that road again, because I think Harper was a good choice if they weren't going to hire Kancher. However, they are probably taking a step back for a year or so, because they had all the elements to compete for a title before Coach Rich left (needed more size). It will be more difficult for a male assistant to become a head coach for a women's program moving on. That's just the way it is. Better find the right female coach. Do we know if he would have kept the key transfers in Nelson, Kubek, Gary and Tucker? Not sure. He probably would have kept some. The Kubek thing makes little sense to me because while she's a good player, I don't see as a Big 10 player due to the athleticism part. Maybe I'm wrong because I don't watch a lot of B10 WBB.

I wish Coach Harper and her staff the best of luck. Yes if they were going to go outside it was a good hire, but Towson had it going and could have kept a person that was integral to their success, and from what I have been told from someone close to the situation would have kept the roster largely in tact. Like I said, I wish Coach Harper the best of luck. Coppin is a brutal job and she did a great job turning that program around. However, the way I was told this entire situation was handled with not only the candidate on the staff, but the entire departing coaching staff, is extremely disappointing and told me a lot about this current administration.

I am not sure what you mean regarding it being "more difficult for a male coach moving on." Five of the eight coaches in the women's basketball Elite 8 were male. A male coaching a female sport can succeed. Especially if they hire the right staff. Just like I feel a female can succeed coach a male sport. Given two candidates (a male and a female) with equal credentials for a female sport then you absolutely hire the female. In Towson's case you had a coach that worked his ass off for five years.  Towson had a chance for continuity and a coach that had built positive relationships in the mid-atlantic region with basketball coaches and players, and could have had the team going into next season as unquestioned favorites to win the CAA. Like I said, I wish Coach Harper the best of luck, I will be rooting for her and the team, but the Towson administration has really made things difficult for her.  

28 minutes ago, TUvet said:

I wish Coach Harper and her staff the best of luck. Yes if they were going to go outside it was a good hire, but Towson had it going and could have kept a person that was integral to their success, and from what I have been told from someone close to the situation would have kept the roster largely in tact. Like I said, I wish Coach Harper the best of luck. Coppin is a brutal job and she did a great job turning that program around. However, the way I was told this entire situation was handled with not only the candidate on the staff, but the entire departing coaching staff, is extremely disappointing and told me a lot about this current administration.

I am not sure what you mean regarding it being "more difficult for a male coach moving on." Five of the eight coaches in the women's basketball Elite 8 were male. A male coaching a female sport can succeed. Especially if they hire the right staff. Just like I feel a female can succeed coach a male sport. Given two candidates (a male and a female) with equal credentials for a female sport then you absolutely hire the female. In Towson's case you had a coach that worked his ass off for five years.  Towson had a chance for continuity and a coach that had built positive relationships in the mid-atlantic region with basketball coaches and players, and could have had the team going into next season as unquestioned favorites to win the CAA. Like I said, I wish Coach Harper the best of luck, I will be rooting for her and the team, but the Towson administration has really made things difficult for her.  

I'm talking about in our case, where a new AD was hired and he wants to put his mark on this hire. Zach was probably the best choice, but not for Steve.  I didn't say a male coach can't coach a women's team, but in our situation, with a first-time AD also dealing with some Title IX issues of the past, he wasn't going to go with a male. 

I don't know how you are supposed to handle this situation and with Steve being brand new, maybe he has a lot to learn in terms of hiring. But he did not fire Diane Richardson. She left. She took all the assistants before Zach was told he wasn't a finalist. She was upset at a corny video that made reference to her height and Coach Harper's height. I would think she got her revenge already.

I think she will be ok in the future. I'm not an expert on our transfers, but I see the stats and hopefully, she can figure out a way to get next year's team competitive.

17 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'm talking about in our case, where a new AD was hired and he wants to put his mark on this hire. Zach was probably the best choice, but not for Steve.  I didn't say a male coach can't coach a women's team, but in our situation, with a first-time AD also dealing with some Title IX issues of the past, he wasn't going to go with a male. 

I don't know how you are supposed to handle this situation and with Steve being brand new, maybe he has a lot to learn in terms of hiring. But he did not fire Diane Richardson. She left. She took all the assistants before Zach was told he wasn't a finalist. She was upset at a corny video that made reference to her height and Coach Harper's height. I would think she got her revenge already.

I think she will be ok in the future. I'm not an expert on our transfers, but I see the stats and hopefully, she can figure out a way to get next year's team competitive.

A video, what?  Richardson was mad??

Some players may have stayed with Red but think we dodged a bullet on that one. Especially after the caa tournament. 
women’s program needs to rebuild but if there’s something the new AD knows and comes from is a women’s basketball school so he probably had a few people in mind 

Wait, she’s mad about the chair being adjusted???

to me this hire isn’t about keeping a core of players for the short term but building a program for the long term, like the mens program with PS (Right 2012). I get we could’ve kept this current core but that’s thinking short term and a risk for a new AD who doesn’t get to put his thumb on his athletic department, as Mat stated. 

I think keeping Zach wouldve been a mistake. 

When I said I was disappointed in how the administration handled Diane and the entire staff leaving has absolutely nothing to do with a video.  

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Wait, she’s mad about the chair being adjusted???

to me this hire isn’t about keeping a core of players for the short term but building a program for the long term, like the mens program with PS (Right 2012). I get we could’ve kept this current core but that’s thinking short term and a risk for a new AD who doesn’t get to put his thumb on his athletic department, as Mat stated. 

I think keeping Zach wouldve been a mistake. 

Really? The ex coach is mad at that?! Come on.

sure. We’ve been building for 10+ Years on the men’s side 

1 hour ago, TUvet said:

When I said I was disappointed in how the administration handled Diane and the entire staff leaving has absolutely nothing to do with a video.  

are you privy to additional information??

I stand by what I said. I got things that I have debated posting for a couple of weeks off of my chest. I even debated whether I should hit the submit reply button yesterday.  My angst is entirely directed at the Towson University administration. There is no ill will towards Coach Harper whom I am told is a very nice person. I wish the womens' basketball program the best of luck. I will be rooting for them. Go Tigers

• Like 1