• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2022 Post-Spring Depth Chart (all speculation)

Might be the toughest depth chart I've ever put together. We still need a RB, CB, an experienced ILB. And of course, a QB. But the talent should be there. None of that matters if there is not a strong QB1

QB Sr. Tyler Johnston III (6-2, 215) (UAB transfer)/R-FR Scott Smith III (6-4, 210) 

RB R-Soph Devin Matthews (5-9, 195), R-Soph Sabias Folley (5-11, 235), Sr. D'Ago Hunter (5-6, 160)

TE R-soph Malik Jackson (6-3, 230) (Md transfer), Soph Devin Gill (6-4, 240) (Ventura College), R-Jr. Brockman Wallace (6-0, 275)

FB/TE Sr. Luke Hamilton (6-0, 245)

LT Sr. Josh Roberts (6-7, 325) (Lafayette), R-fresh Florian Staehler (6-8, 280)

LG R-Jr. Jean German (6-6, 355), Sr. Cole Cheripko (6-4, 300)

C Sr. Cole Cheipko (6-4, 300), R-soph. Ralph Paige Sr. (6-3, 305) (Merrimack)

RG Sr. Alex Desire (6-4, 310), Germain, Fr. Joden Nelson (6-4, 280)

RT Jr. Julian Singh (6-3, 325) (LIU transfer) Sr. Roman Warheit (6-6, 335)

WR Sr. Jabari Allen (6-4, 205), Fr. Isaiah Perkins (6-2, 210)

WR Sr. Darian Street (6-2, 190), R-Jr. Daniel Thompson (6-3, 210), R-Jr. Matthew Akuchie (6-2, 200) (FAU transfer)

Defense

NG SR. Vinny Shaffer (5-11, 305) (D2 Transfer), R-Fr. Kenjuan Manuel (6-1, 300)

DE R-Jr. Jesus Gibbs (6-4, 290) (So Carolina), R-Jr. Oly Okombi (6-1, 265) (Kent St.), Tramar Reece

DE Gr. Mason Cholewa (6-7, 305) (JMU/UCF), R-Jr. Bryce Lauer (6-3, 275)

OLB/EDGE Gr. Tramar Reece (6-4, 270) (Indiana), Sr. Damir Faison (6-2, 262) (Kent St/ECU), Gr. Makye Smith (6-1, 240) (Stony Brook)

OLB/Bandit R-Jr. Jamal Gay (6-1, 210), R-Soph Daniel Raymond (6-0, 200)

MLB R-Jr. Ryan Kearney (6-1, 230), R-Jr. Sam Alsheimer (6-2, 225)

MLB R-Fr Mason Woods (6-1, 230), Sr. Amir Murray (5-11, 225)

CB Sr. Charles Peoples (6-0, 180), R-Jr. Robert Javier (6-1, 195)

CB R-Jr. Makai Self (5-9, 170) (Penn State), R-Fr. Shafeek Smith (5-10, 170)

S Sr. Robert Topps (6-3, 205) (Kansas), R-Soph. Quincy Barber (5-11, 190) (Maine)

S Jr. Dorian Davis (6-0, 200) (W. Carolina), R-Soph. Ubayd Steed (5-11, 180), R-Fr. Evan Rutkowski (6-2, 200)

K Keegan Vaughn, Josh Cupitt

P Fr Riley Williams (6-3, 210), Josh Cupitt

Should we infer from the “none of that matters if there is not a strong QB1” comment that Johnston, the UAB transfer, did not separate himself from the pack during spring practice? I was underwhelmed with his signing when it was announced. Sincerely hope he makes me eat crow. For the life of me, I don’t understand why RA is seemingly incapable of bringing in a quality transfer QB, with the exception of Flacco

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Should we infer from the “none of that matters if there is not a strong QB1” comment that Johnston, the UAB transfer, did not separate himself from the pack during spring practice? I was underwhelmed with his signing when it was announced. Sincerely hope he makes me eat crow. For the life of me, I don’t understand why RA is seemingly incapable of bringing in a quality transfer QB, with the exception of Flacco

My reports that I posted in the spring were not overwhelming and RA said that it's him and Smith, who has never played a down. That's not a good sign, but if he shows up and wins the job in the summer, great. I don't think they will take a chance by relying on him.

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

My reports that I posted in the spring were not overwhelming and RA said that it's him and Smith, who has never played a down. That's not a good sign, but if he shows up and wins the job in the summer, great. I don't think they will take a chance by relying on him.

Assuming, as you say, he even shows up for summer camp. Last year the Louisville transfer QB never made it to summer camp. Another swing & a miss 

Edited by TSU88

Start Smith if he has talent.  There are a lot things that are better about a program that can have a guy for an extended period of time.  Athens is RA's only high school recruit.  QB is the most sought after position throughout the country.  If you are in the transfer portal it is usually not for a good reason.  I would think for a starting QB to get to Towson from the portal we just have to get lucky or some type of irrational decision by the QB (family, local connection) that drives the player here.  Absent that I just don't have confidence regardless of the resume. 

Matt, you forgot the following players on your depth chart:

Deion Crew-Harris at FB. He will play this year!

Robert Schwob at TE (MD transfer) he will play this year. Probly #2 on depth behind Malik Jackson

MATHIAS ADJINGBARUK at OL. He is a walk-on, but has really improved. He will be in the two deep at both guard spots

LUKKAS LONDONO at WR/KR - He is a redshirt Fr. He had a very good spring at both WR and KR. He will be in the rotation

VMI transfer DE Kandler Martin

STEFAN HACKSHAW at LB. He had a good spring and should be in your two. three deep chart

I don’t remember if I had Kandler Martin as an official commit and even if I had, he’s probably three deep. I only went two deep. Even though some of those guys had good springs, doesn’t mean they will play much, it all. A lot of guys got opportunities due to injuries, graduation and transfers. There will probably be at least a handful of more transfers that we don’t know about who will come in and play right away.

I should have had Crews-Harris on there, but in modern football, the fullback position isn’t that important. 

10 hours ago, omniland said:

Start Smith if he has talent.  There are a lot things that are better about a program that can have a guy for an extended period of time.  Athens is RA's only high school recruit.  QB is the most sought after position throughout the country.  If you are in the transfer portal it is usually not for a good reason.  I would think for a starting QB to get to Towson from the portal we just have to get lucky or some type of irrational decision by the QB (family, local connection) that drives the player here.  Absent that I just don't have confidence regardless of the resume. 

I think sometimes guys fall behind the depth chart for whatever reason. A lot of guys in the transfer portal because they don't want to wait another year and they want to play right away. You aren't picking up a current starter on an FBS team. But to get a former FBS starter can be a good thing (or bad). Flacco was a talented guy who was just never given a chance and had very little experience. We got lucky there.

I do like the fact that we went after a lot of EDGE rushers in Martin, Faison and Makye Smith. It's up to the DC to put them in the right position. No pass rush pressure in this league is going to get you killed. We can't just rely on Gibbs, coming off an Achilles' injury, to get pressure.

Now as for what we need in the next two months? At least ONE Cornerback (not a fan of Peoples), Safety (we do have a pretty good one coming in but not official), experienced linebacker, Right tackle, TWO running backs, a quarterback (hopefully dual-threat). Fortunately, we have a good amount of scholarships available. 

I'm not against having Smith play if he wins the job over the summer. Rob has to be with the best option for the team now and for the future, not just a band-aid. Smith is just not going to give you that dual-threat ability, but he can run some.