• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Top 10 Quarterbacks of All-Time

Once again, it's time for some lists and I'll be sticking to D-1 (FCS). There were some very good players in D2 and D3 like Dan Dullea, Kurt Beathard, Theron Richards, Bret Rogers, and Ron Meehan. This list is easy for the first five but gets tougher after that. Remember, we've only been D1(AA) for about 35 years.

1)Dan Crowley (1991-94). I'm biased because I went to school with him, but DC had it all:rocket arm, good mobility and decent accuracy. He had a poor first season so that takes away the completion percentage. Towson's offense was run-first from 1992-93 because they had Tony Vinson and Brian McCarty. Helped the team go from 1-2 wins to 6 and then 8. Threw for 8,900 yards (2nd all-time) and still has the record for most TDs at 81. HOFer and played many years in the CFL in the 90s and early 2000s. Helped the program through a very difficult phase.

2)Sean Schaefer (2005-08). Schaef played in basically a run-and-shoot offense when Coach Phil Albert returned as OC. He is the all-time leader in yards (11,644), attempts (1,621), completions (1,044) and is a recent HOFer. Poised and very accurate. Gave the program a big boost in the Patriot League years.

3)Tom Flacco (2018-19). Transfer from Rutgers and Western Michigan who threw for 6,082 yards in two seasons. Threw for 3,251 yards in 2018, which is fourth all-time. Led the team in rushing with 742 yards in 2018, when the team made the playoffs (but lost to Duquesne). Very athletic and one of the fastest QBs at Towson, who also played baseball.

4)Grant Enders (2011-12). Transfer from Holy Cross and Lackawanna JC. who played two seasons, but should have been eligible for three. Threw for 4,423 yards (10th all-time), but also had the ability to run. Led CAA with a 153.7 pass efficiency rating in 2011. Ran for 1,002 yards and 11 TDs. Powerful runner that gave the team a ton of options on the ground along with Terrence West and Dom Booker.

5)Chris Goetz (1987-90). Got the team started through the 1-AA era. Is third all-time in passing yards with 7,882, third in completions, sixth in touchdowns (42) and third in attempts. Played with David Meggett for two seasons, but after that, the Tigers were limited in weapons and the line struggled. 

6)Peter Athens (2009-13). Started six games as a freshman in 2009 before suffering a torn ACL against Delaware. Wound up playing lacrosse after sitting out 2019 as a medical redshirt. Sat behind Grant Enders from 2011-12 and then started the 2013 season. Threw for 3,461 yards with 19 TDs and 13 picks. Ran for 162 yards and two TDs and helped lead the team to a National Title appearance. 

7)Joe Lee (1996-99). Lee only started in the 1999 season and boy what year it was. He threw for a school-record 4,168 yards with 20 touchdowns. Still ninth on the all-time list with 4,453 yards, but many wonder how many yards he could have thrown for had he started earlier. Wasn't very mobile, but was accurate and helped the Tigers compete in the early days of the Patriot League.

8)Kevin Smith (1995-98). Smith is fourth all-time with 7,746 yards and fifth in touchdowns with 45. Tough to judge those years because he came after Crowley when the program was going non-scholarship, so the competition was not great. He had some pretty good receivers with him in Shaun Ward and had a great receiver at running back in Jason Corle.

9)Connor Frazier (2012-15). Another athletic quarterback who stepped in for an injured Peter Athens in the FCS playoffs. Also played receiver. Took over as the starter in 2014 and 2015. Threw for 1,499 yards with nine passing TDs and ran for 475 yards with two TDs in 2014.  Threw for 1,883 yards with 7 TDs in 2015 and ran for 387 yards with three TDs.

10)Jay Amer (2000-2003).  This is a pick where I felt like I should have added D2s or shortened it to 8 or 9. Tough one here because he left the program in September of 2003 after starting 15 straight games. Did throw for 16 TDs in 2002 and had a rocket arm.

• Haha 1

Dan Dullea needs to be on this list. First All-American at TU. Lead the team to the D-III National Championship game in 1976. Threw for 6006 yards.

3 hours ago, etiger said:

Kurt Beathard and/or Ron Meehan would be on my list somewhere

Ed, I mentioned at the beginning only D1 players. Same with hoops.

Similar QBs, but Tom was faster and had a bit better arm. He had some talent at receiver, but when Shane Simpson went down, he was the best running back. Getting a look at the XFL tryouts.

I would put Enders at No. 1, slightly ahead of Crowley (less mobility) and Flacco (less size). Schaeffer (not mobile at all) would be fourth, but I would put Beathard (small but BIG arm and quick -- able to avoid the rush) and Dullea (VERY clutch; when you needed a third-down conversion, he'd find the open receiver) ahead of the rest.

I liked Grant but Dan had the stronger arm and threw the better deep ball. He was also very mobile, but didn’t have to run because that line gave him all day to throw. He’s the only QB who played in the CFL or NFL and had a long career.  That, to me, puts him over the top.