• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Top 10 Running Backs of all Time

I know this will be somewhat controversial before I even write it. When I graduated Towson in early 1992, the only running back who would be on this list was David Megett. Even if I included D2/3 players, which I'm not, TSU didn't have great running backs in the 70s and 80s because they were a passing team (Air Albert). Gordy Combs changed that when he took over in 1992 and we went from being a quarterback school (Dullea, Richards, Beathard to Crowley) to a running back school. Won Jerry Rice Award for Top Rookie in FCS in 2011.

1)Terrance West (2011-13). Ran for 4,849 yards with 84 TDs and had 23 100-yard game. Did that in three seasons and nobody is even close. Best running back and best player in school history. Or you can say most impactful player. Mediocre NFL career, but at least was drafted and started 23 times for Ravens and Browns. Did have 774 yards in 2016 to lead Ravens and wound up with 11 TDs and 1,816 yards.

2)Tony Vinson (1992-93). Purdue transfer who started out as a receiver and then went 1-AA and took over. At 6-2, 225, was big and fast. Ran for 3,058 yards and 29 TDs in two seasons. Still has record for most yards (364 vs. Bucknell) in a game and tied with T-West for most TD in a game with 5. HOFer. Brief NFL career with Ravens and Chargers as a fullback. 

3)Darius Victor (2013-16). Bowling ball disguised as a running back at 5-7, 225. Ran for 3,309 yards with 41 TDs (2nd all time). Also had 14 100-yard games. 

4)David Meggett (1987-88). Transfer from Morgan State where he played DB. Won Walter Payton Award in 1988 for top FCS player. More of an all-purpose back because he caught passes and returned punts and kicks. Was named first-team All-American in 1988 as a RB. Had four 100-yard games in his career.

5)Brian McCarty (1991-94). Had Tony Vinson not been the starting RB for two seasons, McCarty would have been the all-time leading rusher until West arrived. He ran for 2,594 yards with 32 TDs (4th). Not a burner but was a good receiver. HOFer.

6)Shane Simpson (2015-19). This is where you could say, "why is Shane not in the top five"? But I'm going for production over talent. He ran for 1,925 yards in five injury-plagued seasons. Was more of an all-purpose back who was named first-team All-American in 2018 (All-Purpose) and first-team All-CAA as a RB. Great hands, terrific receiver and return man. If not for injuries, we're talking top 2 or 3.

7)Jason Corle (1996-99). When it comes to production, Corle is top 2-3. He rushed for 3,601 yards in four seasons and amassed 33 TDs. He also ranks third-all-time with 188 receptions. But played against weaker competition when Towson went non-scholarship and then to the Patriot League later in his career. HOFer.

8)Noah Read (1998-2001). Towson's top back in the early PL years. He ran for 2,577 yards to rank sixth all-time. Ran for 14 TDs in 2000 and ended with 21 for his career. Had 13 100-yard games. Only around 5-9, 190 pounds but strong back.

9)Jerry Howard Jr. (2021). Just one year after transferring from Georgia Tech, but could have been all-time great had he played for four years. Was third-team All-CAA in 2021. Ran for 932 yards with three TDs and an impressive 4.9ypc considering teams stacked the box to stop him because Towson had almost no passing game.

10)Nick Williams (2004-07). Transfer from Navy prep. Also played lacrosse. Ran for 1,985 yards to rank 7th, but nagging injuries slowed him down. 

HM: Larry Washington played just one year against non-scholarship players, but had 1,082 yards and 12 TDs in 1995. Transfer from Maryland and one of the all-time great Maryland HS running backs. 

• Like 1

Good list. I might flip 6 and 7, but it is pretty close. I was looking back at best single seasons every by a Towson running back and clearly Terrance West's 2013 season was the gold standard. West's 2011 season vs. Vinson's 1993 season is an interesting conversation, but I think West would probably have to get the edge with the 29 touchdowns and playoff appearance (although I still think the 1993 team got robbed of a bid because they were independent, after beating Delaware head-to-head and watching them make it). 

One thing that stood out like a sore thumb is that we haven't had a 1,000-yard back since 2015 and running the ball has been our team identity when we did it well. Jerry Howard came the closes last year at 932 yards. 

I am just judging by pure numbers, but there are some fun conversations about next best seasons. Here is the list I put together, but it just takes into account the stats and not the season's results, receiving stats or anything else. I am sure I am missing some aspects, but tried to capture as much as I could. Thank you Mat for provoking these conversations. It is fun to look at this stuff. 

1. 2013 Terrance West - 413 carries, 2,509 yards, 41 TDS, 6.08 yards per carry, 157 yards per game
2. 2011 Terrance West - 194 carries, 1,294, 29 TDS, 6.67 yards per carry, 118 yards per game  (always strange to remember that the first couple games West was still being worked in as the top back)
3. 1993 Tony Vinson - 293 carries, 2,016 yards, 23 TDs, 6.88 yards per carry, 202 yards per game (this was the most yards per carry that I found of these seasons. I am biased because I watched this one with my own eyes while I was in college, but an awful weather/performance game at Hofstra derailed this season. As did the homecoming game to Howard, which is still one of the greatest college football games I have watched, despite the awful result)
4. 2014 Darius Victor - 250 carries, 1,305 yards, 12 TDS, 5.22 yards per carry, 109 yards per game (things started to get a little bunched starting at 4)
5. 1994 Brian McCarty - 188 carries, 1,005 yards, 16 TDs, 5.95 yards per carry, 100.5 yards per game (I only included 1,000 yard seasons and double-figure TDs, I know the yards are a little light, but the runs per carry and TDs were impressive, and again this is a season I watched as a student so I may be biased)
6. 2000 Noah Reed - 297 carries, 1,422 yards, 14 TDs, 4.79 yards per carry, 129 yards per game (this could very easily be No. 4, but as much as he is rewarded being an absolute bulldog and having third-most carries in school history, I dropped one or two spots for the yards per carry)
7. 2012 Terrance West - 195 carries, 1,046 yards, 14 TDs, 5.36 yards per carry, 105 yards per game (This is a tough season to judge, because we played two games FBS competition (LSU and Kent State), and West did well against LSU but no one showed up for the Kent State game)
8. 2015 Darius Victor - 207 carries, 1,021 yards, 15 TDs, 4.93 yards per carry, 93 yards per game (I put this eighth because of the 15 TDs, but every other metric would probably have it at 9th)
9. 1995 Larry Washington - 205 carries, 1,101 yards, 12 TDs, 5.37 yards per carry, 110 yards per game (I believe we played pretty weak competition during this transition year before we joined the Patriot League, but this list could shift around pretty dramatically if I took level of competition into account)
10. 1998 Jason Corle - 236 carries, 1,073 yards, 11 TD, 4.55 yards per carry, 98 yards per game (this was down lower because of the yards per carry)  

18 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

3. 1993 Tony Vinson - 293 carries, 2,016 yards, 23 TDs, 6.88 yards per carry, 202 yards per game (this was the most yards per carry that I found of these seasons. I am biased because I watched this one with my own eyes while I was in college, but an awful weather/performance game at Hofstra derailed this season. As did the homecoming game to Howard, which is still one of the greatest college football games I have watched, despite the awful result)

Tony Vinson was a beast obviously that year.  Hey Mat since Tiger93 mentioned the homecoming game vs. Howard, which was incredible even though a devastating loss, how about your next list be Top 10 all time games?  I am sure the I-AA quarterfinal and semifinal games will be 1 and 2 but this Howard game and the Miracle at Minnigan in 1992 are right up there.  Two of the best in person games I have seen.

25 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Tony Vinson was a beast obviously that year.  Hey Mat since Tiger93 mentioned the homecoming game vs. Howard, which was incredible even though a devastating loss, how about your next list be Top 10 all time games?  I am sure the I-AA quarterfinal and semifinal games will be 1 and 2 but this Howard game and the Miracle at Minnigan in 1992 are right up there.  Two of the best in person games I have seen.

Uconn. 4th-29 vs odu. 

• Like 3

I'll do that next week when I have the time to research because the memory is not quite what it once was. But I think it's easier with football because there are some great unforgettable moments (Schaefer Richmond comeback, Northeastern kickoff return in 1992, IUP onsides kicks in 1993 I believe, Tony Vinson TD against Delaware on the road, a couple of Delaware road wins were impressive, etc.)

• Like 2

Larry Jones was a powerhouse on our undefeated 1974 team. He transferred from Kansas, I think, to return home (he was a City or Poly grad). Yes, that was a D-III team, but he was a threat to score every time the ball was in his hands. (That was Dullea's sophomore year, so we were a pass-happy team; most coaches would have built their offense around Larry.)

I'm glad Noah Read is on your list. Though unheralded and not big, he rarely was stopped for less than 4-5 yards. Not much breakaway speed but steady and tough-nosed.

Tony Vinson's two 300-plus-yard games against Bucknell and Morgan were things of beauty. (Lesser competition than T-West's big game against Eastern Illinois, but Tony was a steam-roller with excellent speed.)

I just realized I put a top 50 Greatest Moments list in 2018 because it was the 50th Anniversary of the program. I don't there have been that many great moments since then. Maybe a Flacco leap or whatever, but here is the link.