• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First summer workout report

This might be my only report, because I really got to see what I wanted. All the newcomers were there unlike last year when half the team was hurt. Also had a nice talk with PS but it will take a bit to put together since not everything was on the record.

The main guy I wanted to see was Ryan Conway. The 6-1 point guard looked good, well built and has a nice shot. But the key is his ability to attack off the dribble. That's something we lacked last season when the outside shots weren't dropping. His handle and ability to get to the rim and finish is going to help a ton. Can he defend at this level? Can he run the team? Who knows. It's way too early to tell and he hasn't played competitively in two years. 

The good thing is that we're stacked at the point guard position with four or even five guys that can play it. Radhir Hicks looks like a different player than what I saw last season in the summer and overall. And when I first saw him, I was really impressed with his D. Now, he has the body (around 180 pounds) to get in the lane and fight through screens. It's why you hope you find a few quality freshmen each season and play them sparingly due to talented players ahead of them, so they become hungrier the following season. Hicks looks like his shot is better, which I know wasn't very good last season outside of the paint. 

Sekou Sylla looks the part. He's around 6-5ish with long arms and is around 220. I wasn't overwhelmed by him, because I think he looked a little out of place. It was probably just his second or third practice against DI players and he probably played with his back to the basket most of the time in D2. He was trying to play on the perimeter and his lefty shot looked ok, but he also looked a little awkward trying to shoot off the dribble. Again, just first look and he needs to get established with the team. Not sure if he's quick enough to play the wing. I think he's mainly a 4-5, a bit of a longer John Davis, who also loved to play with his back to the basket.

Nygal Russell is a little like Antonio Rizzuto. Apparently added about 10 pounds of muscle already within a month of working out with the strength coach. Big time rebounder for a 6-4 wing (at 210) and solid defender. Can shoot it from deep pretty well and is unselfish. I would start him at the 3 next to Holden at the 4. 

As for the freshmen, Dylan Williamson (6-1, 175) is on the slender side. He doesn't have play this season with Conway and Hicks ahead of him. But he has a nice shot (a little flat but goes in) and some quickness. He played a lot of two in HS so needs to learn how to handle the position, but he's going to be a player down the road.

Christian May (6-5, 205) has legitimate small forward skills and when he grows a little more, he might be able to play some 4. He's very athletic (had a nice flying put-back slam at the end of practice) and shoots is well from 3. From what I watched in HS, he can put the ball on the floor, but just kind of stood on the perimeter and did his job. Just arrived Sunday, but he might be ready to get some minutes in the rotation this year. He's that good.

As for the rest, Charles Thompson (6-7, 252) added a few more pounds of muscle. He doesn't need to prove much other than add a perimeter shot (he didn't). But he'll be a beast in the CAA and non-conference play with his left and right-handed hooks. Added size will only help him dominate the boards.

Cam is Cam. You know what he's capable of. I'd like to see him a little more consistent on the perimeter, though it looks better than it was in conference play. Having a power forward that can move the ball like Cam is so important. Another point guard and coach on the floor. Best player in the league? 

I know. Estrada is back in Hofstra. Maybe second-best is Charles or Cam. But there's one player that I've watched now for five years and I certainly didn't see him becoming this good. That's Nick Timberlake. I just thought of a 6-4 athletic freshman who had a hitch in his mid-range shot and wasn't that confident -yet. The confidence is there and so is that three-point shot. He looked like the best player on the floor today at least on the offensive end. His shot is amazing from beyond the arc. He just shoots it quickly with no hitch and when he misses, it goes in and out. Now, I didn't see much of a dribble-drive or a left-hand drive. I would suggest that he and Cam work on that left hand all summer, because those guys can make money next season. It's nice to see guys get the most out of their athletic ability.

The rest? Gibby is a little bit bigger in the upper body. Still needs to finish better as I think he'll play a lot of two next season. When you put him and Timberlake in the lineup, you have two of the best three-point shooters in the league.

Tyler Coleman looks good after losing about 20 or so pounds. Not sure where he fits in though at power forward. Lack of athletic ability doesn't help. The addition of Sylla also means he won't be playing much. Chris Biekeu just keeps getting bigger and stronger. I like him on the defensive end at center. If he can rebound and finish inside, he can backup CT. Paar was out with an injury. His brother Cole is about 6-9, 230 and has a nice three-point shot (though flat-footer). Is a little more athletic, but not likely to see much time as the backup center. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some comments. Had to edit and can't really put out there about the schedule other than PS is still working on things.

Pat Skerry
"Can we be elite again. Elite ball movement team. What we didn't do well enough other than CT is have to finish at the rim. This is our first week of having everyone, but Conway, Sylla and Russell. This is their fourth week. They came up right away to work out with a strength coach. Ryan clearly has offensive talent and a body that doesn't look like a freshman. He could be our best one-on-one player and other than Cam, we need that. He has to learn defense and ball security. He can put the ball in the basket. Russell can rebound and make enough shots. He can defend like Rizzuto. Sekou reminds me of Johnny (Davis). He's just around the ball. Not sure where we're going to play him. Better shot. Played center last year. He's not going to be like Cam, but he really rebounds along with Russell.

"I expect all three of those guys in the rotation. Radhir Hicks has taken a big jump. He looks strong and his shot is better. Was already an elite ballhandler and defender. Guys love playing with him. He helped us last year and then he got sick. I think Christian May has some upside. Very athletic. Body. Just got here on Sunday night. Has a little bit of an edge to him like Nick."

On Timberlake
"Is getting better with the ball. His handle. Playing off two screens. Charles is like 252 with no fat on him. He has an NBA body. Cam's shot is better. The more we go full court, the more valuable Cam is going to be. He can rebound, handle, post it, shoot it. Sell tickets. Just like Jarrell. Cam has a better supporting cast. "

I am very excited. We have a really good group of guys. We've had some good players. These guys are really good kids. Dylan has to change his body. Has to get stronger. Ball security and defense. Has a knack for the ball. "

The big question is who plays behind Charles. Chase or Chris B. Can Chris B. move from the four. We have to find the right combination, but we have flexibility."

On recruiting
"We might have a half-dozen scholarships. It's important to have a couple of good HS guys. Hopefully the new guys will contribute. At some point, Biekeu can help because he's a big dude. Might go big in the fall. Want a player from a strong academic program."

Questions about 2022-23

"Can we finish better at the rim? Do we have enough one-and-one play if needed? Can we take care of the ball? Put together a quality schedule. I want to schedule aggressively. South Alabama is gifted (from Savannah Trny). UNCG is tough and could win their league and Penn. No Iowa and Clemson won't be easy."

• Thanks 1

You can’t help but bring at least somewhat optimistic about the outlook for this fall. From my perspective at least, the biggest questions are: can Conway run the point at the level necessary to take us to where we want to go (both in terms of passing & scoring) and will we have an effective backup for CT, in the event of foul trouble, or, heaven forbid, injury? Also, I’ll throw in can Hicks step up, in the event we need him to.

Holden, Sylla, Russell, CT, Timberlake, Gibson, Conway and hopefully Hicks (assuming he’s made that freshman to sophomore improvement) is a pretty good core, and I’m intrigued by May and Williamson, though there biggest contributions will likely come not this season.  My expectations for Paar and Biekeu are more muted-just give us some competent minutes backing up CT. 

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Will Conway be a true pg? Meaning can he at least make the passes needed to run an offense?

Is sekou more athletic than JD?  

Too early to tell about Conway. But he's not just a scorer. He can pass.

Sekou probably is similar athletically to JD, but his length allows him to do more things like defend, block shots and finish around the rim. JD knew how to use his body in the low post. I didn't really see  Sekou in the low post. He was more on the perimeter. His lack of finishing was the disappointing thing about yesterday. Again, it's early.

Let's remember that if Gibson and Cam are on the floor, he doesn't have to be the only creator on the team. Cam is like having another point guard on the floor and Conway is a good enough shooter, where he can play the 2. But he also can break down defenses. Every young player has to realize what he can do and can't do at that level and if you see a 6-9 guy in the lane, you have to know when to shoot and when to dish. That will come with experience. But watching Gibson for several years, we know he struggles to finish and doesn't always set up guys. We've had very few point guards that drive and dish. Hicks and Conway have the quickness to break people down off the dribble and hopefully have the awareness to make the extra pass when needed.

Charles needs to get them foul shots up this summer and often.  62% last season and with a summer of work maybe he can get to 68% or better.  He’s gonna get way more than 86 attempts this season and needs to take advantage more of his 3 point plays as he’s one of the premier big men in the CAA and should be getting a few more calls going his way.   

JT & Gibby shot over 40% from 3 point land..  if they can sustain that then we should really be in great shape when the ball gets kicked out from Cam, CT & SS.

Cam is our Draymond Green aka Swiss Army Knife..  a whole season without the mask etc.    I can’t wait to see what he does for this team.  He had 107 assists to 86 turnovers last season which still blows me away.   

As always appreciate the report Mat.   Winter here in San Francisco and I truly miss summertime in Towson.