• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Top 10 Offensive Guards/Centers

Yes, this is never easy. Top interior offensive linemen. These guys get very little respect and accolades. I tend to favor the better offenses in 1992-94, the Schaefer years and the championship years, though there were really good ones who played on average-to-bad teams. Kudos to late HOFer Terrance Brooks who played from 1981-84. This was a tough one. I also could have put Adam Nepp here since he played guard and tackle.

1)Doug Shaw (2010-13). Undersized at 6-0, 260. Very strong and athletic. Made second-team All-CAA in 2012 and third-team in 2013. Anchored one of the great O-lines in school history. 

2)Jason Gunning (1999-03). Powerful guard at 6-2, 300. Earned first-team All-PL in 2003 and in 2002.

3)Aaron Grzymkowski (2016-21). Very highly-decorated left guard. Was named second-team All-CAA in 2021 and 2019 and third-team in 2018. Good size (6-3, 300) and strong pass and run blocker.

4)Greg Lohr (1989-92). Probably should be in HOF. Didn't play for a good O-line or offense until 1992. Was named HM All-American in 1992. But was considered top lineman in most years he played. Very smart and athletic. Played at just 245 pounds, which was light even 30 years ago.

5)John Gaburick (1985-88). Yes, "Big" formerly of the WWE, played partially in D2 and also in 1-AA. A rare four-year starter at center. An honorable mention All-American as a sophomore, Gaburick was named first team All-ECAC and he helped the Tigers earn a berth in the NCAA Division II playoffs.  

6)Joe Ripple (2002-05). Solid guard at 6-2, 275 who was named third-team All-A10 in 2005. 

7)Anthony Davis (2010-13). Powerhouse at left guard and center. Strong run blocker who was a steady influence on a great O-line.

8)Andy Rehkemper (1990-93). Gotta shout out to Andy because he's been a long-time poster and was a damn good player on a great line. That line allowed nine sacks in 1992 and four sacks in 1993.

9)Konstantinos "Gus" Kosmakos (2002-05). Versatile linemen who eventually became long time assistant. Very good lineman who could played guard or center. Earned Offensive Player of the Year in his last two seasons.

10)Mike Gunthrop (1989-92). Went from starting right guard to starting center in final two years. Blocked for Tony Vinson in his final season. Long-time assistant coach.

I can't remember the name of our center on the '93 team, but I think he transferred from Hopkins. A bit undersized, he was nonetheless a big part of the line that opened holes for Vinson and McCarty and gave Crowley plenty of time to throw.

2 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

I can't remember the name of our center on the '93 team, but I think he transferred from Hopkins. A bit undersized, he was nonetheless a big part of the line that opened holes for Vinson and McCarty and gave Crowley plenty of time to throw.

Was that Jeff Law?