• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Top 10 Tight ends/Fullbacks/H-backs of all time

Once again, kudos to Hernando Mejia (1979-82) who is still the greatest tight end in school history. But we're sticking to D-1AA/FCS and also going to favor fullbacks because there were not many tight ends who caught passes at Towson. Since I started covering the team in 1989, I don't think there has been a TE who has received all-conference accolades.

1)FB Emmanuel Holder (2012-16). Big fullback at 5-11, 266 who made third-team All-CAA in 2015 and first-team in 2013. Second-team All-American in 2013. Had great hands. Caught 35 passes for 8 TDs in his career. 

2)FBTyler Wharton (2008-11). Named first-team All-American in 2011 and third-team All-CAA that year. Was second-team All-CAA in 2010. Good hands. Caught two TDs in his career.

3)TE James Oboh (2010-13).  Caught 53 passes for 830 yards with 10 TDs. Transfer from FAU. Big (6-4, 240) and could run.

4)FB John Swigart (1991-94). Hard to find stats, but believe me, the guy who blocked for Tony Vinson and Brian McCarty was outstanding. Good hands and could also run.

5)TE Chris Clark (2018-19). A 6-6 transfer from Pitt, one of the most talented players to ever played TD at Towson. Caught 35 passes for 415 yards and six TDs. Became a big red-zone target for Tom Flacco.

6)FB Dreon Johnson (2012-16). If Towson needed a big yard or a TD, Johnson was usually there to block. Arguably the best blocking FB ever at Towson. Also, outstanding special teams player who recorded 16 tackles.

7)FB Gene Liebel (1998-2001). Second-team All-PL in 2000. Listed as 5-6, 200. Few players got as much out of his body as Liebel did.

8)TE Sean Patterson (1990-1993). Son Griffin is now on the team playing tight end. Solid receiver with good size and quality blocker.

9)FB Bill Hughes (1994-97). Another smallish FB at 5-7, 195, but very tough. Three-year starter. Had five TDs.

10)Mike McGlinchey (1996-99). Son of legendary coach Mike who coached at Salisbury State. Now coach at William Jewell. Longtime assistant at Towson. Also played guard. Strong blocker. 

1 hour ago, etiger said:

Sean Patterson and Milke Mazur during the Dan Croqley era. Great blocking anbd receiving TE

I added Patterson and McGlinchey. Also Bill Hughes. I thought about Jon Grubb as well. I could have had Mazur at 10. It's all subjective after you get past the stats and accolades.

8 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Swigart was a beast, did he also play some LB during his career?

Yes, good point. 

44 minutes ago, JBC123 said:

Speaking of Dan Crowley, he has left Towson.

True, not official yet, but he left for a better business opportunity. 

Sorry to hear about DC leaving; I hope he maintains his ties with the school.

As for FBs, yes, Holder was tops, but I loved Tyler Wharton in 2011. He was hard-nosed and tough, but he looked like a tailback on a long TD catch and run against (I think) Colgate.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:40 PM, TigerFan54 said:

Sorry to hear about DC leaving; I hope he maintains his ties with the school.

As for FBs, yes, Holder was tops, but I loved Tyler Wharton in 2011. He was hard-nosed and tough, but he looked like a tailback on a long TD catch and run against (I think) Colgate.

Tyler Wharton has six kids now! Look at his Facebook