• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB General Thread for 2022-23

34 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So you should just forget that they ever had a successful season because they stunk on Sunday? Of course, they deserve the criticism but if you watched the game, Monmouth couldn't f-ing miss. They played a perfect game and deserve all the kudos. My only criticism was that we didn't press earlier. Ten years ago this program was irrelevant. What Coach Richardson and Harper have done has been fantastic. I'm not going to call them chokers because I never thought they were that good to begin with, but you guys do you. Keep adding the SOT moniker for successful teams. SOT was good for when every (major) program stunk.

I typed my statement and do not recall using the word "chokers".  I reread it again numerous times after your response and still do not see the word "chokers" in my response.  I am the one that suggested we start calling our program the Teasing Tigers, I didn't mention that.  I am also in team SOT, but I do not recall typing or seeing that in my response either.  All I was eluding to was that if you were reading this thread about the game without knowing the score you would have thought that it was a relatively close game but kudos to Monmouth.  I gave my flowers of praise to a good season and what they overcame and hope for more, but they still lost by TWENTY FIVE POINTS at home to let me check UCONN, no, Iowa, no, Maryland, no, MONMOUTH, yes.    

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

I typed my statement and do not recall using the word "chokers".  I reread it again numerous times after your response and still do not see the word "chokers" in my response.  I am the one that suggested we start calling our program the Teasing Tigers, I didn't mention that.  I am also in team SOT, but I do not recall typing or seeing that in my response either.  All I was eluding to was that if you were reading this thread about the game without knowing the score you would have thought that it was a relatively close game but kudos to Monmouth.  I gave my flowers of praise to a good season and what they overcame and hope for more, but they still lost by TWENTY FIVE POINTS at home to let me check UCONN, no, Iowa, no, Maryland, no, MONMOUTH, yes.    

Yeah, they also lost to Morgan State by 28 earlier in the year and beat Willam & Mary 32 (when they easily could have lost to them in the semis). They beat Monmouth by six on the road earlier this year. Guess what, sometimes teams play great, sometimes they lay eggs, and sometimes your opponent just kicks your ass and there is very little you can do it about it. It is not always down to one team choking and playing horribly as we often attribute (although Towson also couldn't buy a bucket in close yesterday). Granted, you rarely play well when you lose by 25, but as was stated Monmouth played extremely well and you know what they did the same against Drexel and Northeastern who also were good in the regular-season. 

My point, stop judging everything on one game. They played 32 games this season and they played well enough to win 21 of them. They didn't play well enough to win yesterday by a mile and that sucks. This program is just starting to grow into itself. Everyone deserves criticism when they don't deliver, but this team deserves far more praise than criticism and I expect more to come for as long as we can keep Laura Harper. 

nah facts I watched the second half and Monmouth LITERALLY couldn't not miss. just got hot, wasn't really an away game for them they got comfortable on our court. 

They had a nice year but lost at home in the championship to a 7 seed.  Two things can happen, and be good then bad.  Exceeded expectations but didn’t win the big one. End of story. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

They had a nice year but lost at home in the championship to a 7 seed.  Two things can happen, and be good then bad.  Exceeded expectations but didn’t win the big one. End of story. 

Fair, but overall it was a successful season. Not everything is defined by one game. The loss to a No. 7 seed in the title game at home, definitely lessens the level of that success quite a bit. However, it does not make the season completely unsuccessful. If they were 11-21 and went the NCAA Tournament it would not be a complete success either. We will probably have this argument for an eternity even though we are looking for a similar level of success out of these teams, as I am sure they all are out of themselves. 

4 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Fair, but overall it was a successful season. Not everything is defined by one game. The loss to a No. 7 seed in the title game at home, definitely lessens the level of that success quite a bit. However, it does not make the season completely unsuccessful. If they were 11-21 and went the NCAA Tournament it would not be a complete success either. We will probably have this argument for an eternity even though we are looking for a similar level of success out of these teams, as I am sure they all are out of themselves. 

The goal for any mid major player and coach is to win the conference and make the dance. Keep living in pure joy of 20-12 seasons and losing in the CAAt… sheesh 

4 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The goal for any mid major player and coach is to win the conference and make the dance. Keep living in pure joy of 20-12 seasons and losing in the CAAt… sheesh 

Agree to disagree. The major goal is making the NCAA Tournament, but you have to field a team for the other 30 games of the year. We may as well just not play December-March and just show up and roll the dice with your logic. There is no joy when you miss the tournament, but according to you every aspect of the season is a failure if you don't make the tournament and that is complete nonsense. Of course getting knocked out by a seven seed makes it more disappointing, but this is year one for the coach and it was a pretty good season overall.

You always make fun of the parade for 20 wins and no NCAA Tournament, but there is an equal if not higher level of mediocrity to those who would prefer 10 wins, an NCAA Tournament appearance and a 50-point loss. There are a lot of in-betweens and the regular-season does have to matter for something other than seeding. At least that is my opinion. Respectfully, you won't change mine and I likely won't change yours.