• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB General Thread for 2022-23

One of the most lax performances in Towson athletics history in a meaningful game. We're not in a position to decline a WNIT invitation considering where we were as a program just about six years ago. Nobody got back tonight on defense and despite a pretty good start, they completely gave up from the mid-way through the second quarter to the rest of the game. Like a Towson sap, I watched most of the game and heard the sideline reporter at the half paraphrase Laura Harper by saying that her team basically went rogue in the second quarter and that's not a good sign for the future. Some players who could return maybe shouldn't. 

The funny thing was that I thought we should press and it worked for about 30 seconds. You can't press if you are not intense or into the game. They also need more length and athleticism though Harvard was super athletic, but they literally ran a layup line against us. I don't think I've seen more layups given up by a Towson team unless you count games against the likes of UConn.

I guess the Monmouth loss hurt more than I thought. Didn't expect a win tonight because of that, but didn't expect to lose by 40.

So when looking at the team objectively as I can, if they bring everyone back who is eligible, they desperately need more size. I like the way Patrica Agnumba played but I think the problem is that we have four players who are basically the same size in Agunmba, Alexia Nelson, Skye Williams (if she returns) and India Johnston. All around 5-6, 5-7. Not really explosive. Johnston can shoot it though I like that they were running her at the point. Staff has to make some decisions on some returning players because three newcomers are not enough. Will need at least two transfers including a power forward and a long and athletic wing. Kornegay-Lucas is a very good player who needs more size and talent around her. She's not a primary scorer though she can shoot the mid-range shot. She's better when she creates for others though I'd like to see the other guards move the ball a bit more. It stuck too often and I think there's wasn't enough ball movement. 

I guess I'm also a Towson sap, because I watched a good chunk of the game. Harvard shot the three extremely well, but our defense was non-existent during the time I was tuned in. This was a chance to wash the bad taste of the CAA final out of our mouths, but we only added to it. Very disappointing way to end the season.

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

So when looking at the team objectively as I can, if they bring everyone back who is eligible, they desperately need more size. I like the way Patrica Agnumba played but I think the problem is that we have four players who are basically the same size in Agunmba, Alexia Nelson, Skye Williams (if she returns) and India Johnston. All around 5-6, 5-7. Not really explosive. Johnston can shoot it though I like that they were running her at the point. Staff has to make some decisions on some returning players because three newcomers are not enough. Will need at least two transfers including a power forward and a long and athletic wing. Kornegay-Lucas is a very good player who needs more size and talent around her. She's not a primary scorer though she can shoot the mid-range shot. She's better when she creates for others though I'd like to see the other guards move the ball a bit more. It stuck too often and I think there's wasn't enough ball movement. 

Good point on the size. It felt like in the Monmouth game their center and in general their entire interior defense disrupted everything in that game and we were just hoping for points. I didn't see last night's game, but very disappointing ending to an otherwise positive season as many on here have already said. Also disappointing, that after beating Towson in the finals Monmouth couldn't even make it out of the play-in game against Tennessee Tech.

I did not see the Harvard game, but was in attendance at he CAA championship vs Monmouth. The team simply stopped playing with about 4 minutes to go in the game. There was no rotating back on defense, in fact there was no defense at all. I defy anyone to go back and watch the last few minutes in that game and tell me there was any effort on the defensive end put forth.  In short they simply quit.  I am not surprised in the least some girls went rogue vs Harvard. 

10 minutes ago, TUvet said:

I did not see the Harvard game, but was in attendance at he CAA championship vs Monmouth. The team simply stopped playing with about 4 minutes to go in the game. There was no rotating back on defense, in fact there was no defense at all. I defy anyone to go back and watch the last few minutes in that game and tell me there was any effort on the defensive end put forth.  In short they simply quit.  I am not surprised in the least some girls went rogue vs Harvard. 

I'll never get why she didn't unload the bench when the starters or key players were quitting late in the fourth against Monmouth. They still might have lost by 25, but leaving them in probably had a carryover effect to the next game (yet we had an early DD lead). Last night, looked as though they were all going one-on-one and didn't trust each other. For some reason, Kornegay-Lucas was the only player getting back early and she looked at her teammates like "are you effing kidding me?. Why am I the only one getting back?". I don't want to single out certain player, but when I see a player jog or walk back on transition and just stand there when there is a rebound instead of going after it, I'm playing Jamie Napolean and Alina Sendar, two players who never got off the bench this season. Napolean could at least rebound. Maybe she should have played her earlier.