• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tyrrell Pigrome transfers to Towson

He can't throw.  He is a terrible QB.  What a waste and stop gap ploy.  Start Smith and try and build a program.  Piggy was awful at Maryland and no reasonable person watching Maryland football would think they were watching a division 1 QB.  Maryland sucks.  Stop fooling yourselves.  You have to eventually throw to be a QB.  He can't throw.  Stop taking lame Maryland players.  Maryland sucks.  They get blown out for a reason.  They never improve regardless of the coach for a reason.  You are getting players no one wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omniland said:

He can't throw.  He is a terrible QB.  What a waste and stop gap ploy.  Start Smith and try and build a program.  Piggy was awful at Maryland and no reasonable person watching Maryland football would think they were watching a division 1 QB.  Maryland sucks.  Stop fooling yourselves.  You have to eventually throw to be a QB.  He can't throw.  Stop taking lame Maryland players.  Maryland sucks.  They get blown out for a reason.  They never improve regardless of the coach for a reason.  You are getting players no one wants.

As someone who has watched Maryland football for over 45 years, I pretty much had the same opinion when I first heard about him possibly coming. Then I started checking out his stats and videos at Western Kentucky. He was better and he took care of the football (9 TDs, 2 INTs). Colorado State did offer him though maybe more as a backup or gimmicky Swiss Army knife type of player. He was at Ole Miss last season so some FBS teams wanted him.

They needed another QB just for numbers sake with Miller and Ferguson gone. My issue is that it was late in the game, but he’s been on campus for a bit so hopefully is learning the offense, which I assume will be RPO-based. You can do some of that with Tyler Johnston. Smith is the future and he can spin it, but they’d have to change the offense again with him there at QB. I also don’t think Rob is starting a redshirt freshman with no experience in the last year of his contract. But if he has a great camp and the veterans struggle, then he has a decision to make and Piggy is back to a gimmicky QB.

Of course, this is a stop gap. Most transfer QBs are. They needed a dual threat QB. That’s what most are in the CAA and FCS. Same with Enders and Flacco. The running game will certainly be better and I think that will open up the passing game. I think this offense improves tremendously after a terrible year. Is that enough for the ultimate goal? Nobody knows.

I agree with you Matt.  RA is on a short leash which may lead to a gimmick squeak out as many wins season as you can with an easier schedule than we have had in a while.  QB is just hard to recruit obviously, and RA is no exception.  Athens was his best high school recruit and you could see it when he played as a freshman.  That was a bad team but you could see that he was a really good athlete and he could throw.  Enders was his best QB that just got ripped off by the NCAA with eligibility (especially when we see how many years some of these guys are around).  Those two guys are worlds better than Piggy.  I hope Smith lights it up this summer and RA gets a hunch that he is special and takes a chance.  Put the ball in Piggy's hands out of the back field or other ways.    

May I inquire why anyone would want a young man who has quit on three different programs? Then go into a must win situation and bet your contract on a three time quitter? 

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

May I inquire why anyone would want a young man who has quit on three different programs? Then go into a must win situation and bet your contract on a three time quitter? 

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say RA is desperate. Unless he makes the playoffs this season (which I believe triggers an automatic 1 year contract rollover) he’s likely out the door. So, realizing that the UAB transfer isn’t the solution (reports on this board were that he didn’t separate himself in spring practice) he resorts to a bit of a Hail Mary, by bringing in Pigrome. It’s doubtful, with his job hanging in the balance, that RA is going to hitch his wagon to the redshirt freshman QB (I think his name is Smith). 

I’m not sure I would tag Pigrome a quitter necessarily. A program jumper for sure, but he’s hardly alone in that regard. I’ve never understood why RA has never been able to recruit a dual threat RPO QB. Pigrome is obviously a stop gap, at best, but he’s probably a million times better than last year’s QB, the completely immobile and completely forgettable Ferguson.   Truth be told, the QB carousel, in my mind, is an indictment of RA’s inability to recruit a quality QB. I’ll take it 1 step farther and call into question his ability to bring in a quality transfer QB other than Flacco. Look at Mahalik, Olson, Pass and Ferguson. All flamed out for different reasons, but the common denominator is the coach who brought them in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Not sure what you mean by quit on three programs. That's absurd when you realize he wasn't really the starter in all three He had no future at Maryland as a QB. Maybe you can say that about Western Kentucky, but not sure what the situation was there. Did he really quit on Ole Miss after one season where he didn't play? There are dozens of players who have so-called quit on programs.

It's July, don't be so Doom and gloom. This is the time of year we can feel good about the program. Has the potential to be a fun year

The one thing I think Piggy coming to Towson means is that we're talking about it. He generates conversation. Everyone who has a Marylander and has watched the Terps the last six seasons (as a fan or not), knows that Piggy struggled in most games. But in the first game of 2017 against Texas, he completed 9 of 12 for 175 yards for two TDs and one pick and rushed for 64 yards and one TD. In that same game, he tore his ACL and was done for the season. He never had the same impact at Maryland in 2018 and 2019 and then transferred out.

Not sure what happened at Ole Miss, but he wasn't going to play over Matt Corral.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/tyrrell-pigrome-reportedly-back-in-ncaa-transfer-portal-after-season-at-ole-miss/

In an Aug. 31, 2021, press conference, Lane Kiffin acknowledged Pigrome’s transfer to Ole Miss:

“We’d like to have depth and competition all the time, so we’re always looking. It’s kind of turned into the NFL with transfers and things. (Pigrome) did a good job and caused people problems at Western (Kentucky). To be able to add him was good, and that competition with the other two guys is still going.”

15 hours ago, Brian said:

This in the industry (transfer portal) that the NCAA has created.   He did not quit on UMD, WKU or Ole Miss… it’s part of the game that the NCAA has created.  Very different landscape than it was in 1995.

Edited by RundaPower

Everyone knows my opinion on Rob but transfers don’t work out all the time. Or even half, especially in football.  Success rate is maybe 20 %? That’s what we usually are around so..?