• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022 Summer Camp Thread

Mat: No mention of TJIII among the QBs -- is he hurt or has he fallen down the depth chart?

Also, RA says, "Last year's group wasn't excited about being together. 
They are excited about playing together. These guys like hanging out together." But I recall him saying something much different this time last year, especially about the camaraderie of the quarterbacks. So it's hard to take his assessment at face value.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

Mat: No mention of TJIII among the QBs -- is he hurt or has he fallen down the depth chart?

They are excited about playing together. These guys like hanging out together." But I recall him saying something much different this time last year, especially about the camaraderie of the quarterbacks. So it's hard to take his assessment at face value.

Sure some of that is coachspeak. TJ3 wasn’t great but there was no time to throw for any QB.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, TigerFan54 said:

Thought that too... 

Been a minute for me....hope everyone on here is doing well.

I know he's probably a long shot to contribute this season but any word on if Lukkas Londono is getting any meaningful reps in camp at WR?  The kid is from around my way in NJ and would love to see a local kid make some noise for the Tigers.  Supposed to be a speedster.....maybe some kick return opportunities this year?

Looking forward to the upcoming season.....GO TIGERS!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Been a minute for me....hope everyone on here is doing well.

I know he's probably a long shot to contribute this season but any word on if Lukkas Londono is getting any meaningful reps in camp at WR?  The kid is from around my way in NJ and would love to see a local kid make some noise for the Tigers.  Supposed to be a speedster.....maybe some kick return opportunities this year?

Looking forward to the upcoming season.....GO TIGERS!!

He was returning kicks. The guy I really wanted to see was Sam Reynolds, the 4.4 speedster from South Carolina. Londono is also very fast and a former quarterback who can return kicks. He was returning them in the scrimmage, but I didn't seen anything unreal. I'll check him out more on Saturday along with many other things. Reynolds was held out last Saturday.

• Like 1

Second practice update. Saw a little bit more at the scrimmage today. Was trying to focus on the line play. The only issue is that they were experimenting at both tackle spots with Lafayette transfer and LT Josh Roberts moving over to the right side. Also true freshman Dan Volpe (6-6, 305) was playing a lot of left tackle with the ones. Fortunately, Cheripko was back at center and there was better overall blocking though the pass pro still needs work. Thought Jesus Gibbs was just unblockable. I like Makye Smith coming off the edge, maybe they'll use him in passing situations, because he can explode. He's a bit small (6-1, 240), so I see why they would use more Tramar Reece (6-4, 270) at the Edge. With no Mason Choleway (get to that in a second), Bryce Lauer was the starter on the inside next to Vinny, who continues to impress.

Cholewa (6-7, 310) is the JMU/UCF transfer who was banged up last season and was coming off playing in the spring with JMU. He's being moved to the offensive line. Honestly didn't notice him much out there, because I wasn't aware of his number (69). 

I think O-line will still be LT Josh Roberts, LG Alex Desire, C Cole Cheripko, RG Julian Singh, RT Roman Warheit. That would give them three holdovers and two transfers. Jean Germain should be in the picture at some point should be back. 

QB play was spotty but better than last week with better pass protection. I thought Piggy looked very good at the start of the scrimmage. He still tends to hold it too long and then looks for the rush and then takes over. Some of that, I'm sure is cohesion with his receivers. Scott Smith threw another tremendous pass, this one to Isaiah Perkins about 55 yards right over the shoulder. I've seen him throw about 2-3 darts each time I see him. I guess he needs to be more consistent, though I'm not seeing really bad passes. I think the line will be better as the season goes on, but right now, a running QB is probably the best bet. Give kudos also to Nathan Kent, the dual-threat sophomore who had a very nice day running and throwing.

At RB, I see Devin Matthews and Joachim Bangda as the two top guys with D'Ago Huner and Curtis Murray as the shifty backs. Banga was given the ball at the three yard line in that Wildcat format and just ran over poor LB Sam Alsheimer. He's just a beast. It will be interesting to see how much RPO they run with Piggy and that should help the running game. But we do have a plethora of receivers led by Jabari Allen, Darian Street, Perkins. Daniel Thompson. Seems like they are searching for the quick slot guy and that could be Sam Reynolds (4.4 40 kid from SC), Brady McElhany or Londono, the former HS qb. More later with comments from RA.