• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Tgr4life

College Football at this level

Wondering the thoughts of regarding the future of college football at this level....how long will it last. In my opinion, with the portal being what it is....the kids that play well think they are ready for "Bama and therefore enter the portal. The kids who play poorly think the coach hates them and enter the portal. The final result is 50 new kids on a team every year, which makes building a program nearly impossible. How long will universities pour large sums of money into these programs. Even if you win a national championship.....next to no one knows about it. 

Football is a sport that can bring excitement and camaraderie to a campus, but at this level and with the competition you are looking t within this conference., especially with the teams that have been recently added.....it becomes a little tougher to sell. 

Just wondering what others thoughts are.

Just an opinion.

I think the conference moves we're seeing in FBS are indicative of where CFB in general is headed. The truly big time schools will continue to separate themselves from the rest of the pack and a lot of schools will be left in a sort of no man's land. To the point made before, I think the kid who plays well at a "lesser" FBS school and then looks to transfer to the SEC/B1G/whatever other super conference pops up will happen more and more. FCS, in general, seems to be for the less heralded recruits or for FBS players who transfer "down" for one reason or another. Wouldn't be thrilled to be a fan of a team moving up to FBS right about now.

This may be the new normal. 50+ transfers per year all sold the same dream of “your life will be better here vs there” I was a naïve, easily tricked, money hungry 18 year old. These master manipulator coaches would have gotten me to play in the middle of nowhere if they promised me a little food and beer money each month.

The FCS may dissolve to the top 3 conferences / a realignment of top programs who are invested in football. The rest will drop to D2, D3, or do away with football entirely. Football is already a money loser for lots of schools, I can’t see how spending more money is sustainable. I read Rutgers has paid $450,000 in DoorDash orders because they promised the players unlimited food delivery if they played for their program. I can’t see how there is a viable ROI there. A losing team trying to keep up with bigger/richer programs and they are investing in….chicken wing delivery. Silly

College football as we once knew it has gone the way of Beta, VHS & rotary dialing. While some may say change is good, in this case I say phooey. SMU will begin paying each member of its football & MBB team 36K a year as NIL compensation. Presumably this is perfectly legal, but it makes a mockery, IMHO, of things. If SMU is paying 36K a year, what will the likes of Alabama and Ohio State soon be paying? I suspect it’ll become an arms race in terms of schools outbidding each other for mercenaries, er, I mean players.

I tend to agree that a handful of schools, say 30-50, will emerge from the rubble and form a super league of sorts. Those left behind will have hard decisions to make, such as to whether it is financially sustainable to continue pouring money into a football team. 

Given all this, I do believe the new normal for us, as long as we remain in the FCS, is dozens of new players every season. As someone posted earlier, if we bring in a recruit who performs well, chances are he’s going to use us as a lily pad to get paid by a bigger program. On his way out he’ll be passing the transfer coming in, who has grown disenchanted with his playing time at a larger program (unless he simply decides to stay at the larger program and collect his NIL checks). 

I fervently hope we keep football, but I’m highly skeptical we have a path to relevancy moving up, and I’m concerned, in a doomsday scenario, that the administration determines we’re pouring good money after bad and pulls the plug at some point 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's clear we are never going to be in the new college football Super League so for me I like us being good at this level; whatever that is. I see FCS (likely non-Super League FBS too ) just becoming like minor league baseball or hockey. Those teams turn over every year and most players don't make it to the show but the community gets excited when the team is good.  Every once in a while a kid clearly will become a star and you follow them and cheer for them as they move along. I never cared about UVA but when Shane went there for the covid season I followed them.

Super League = MLB/NHL
FBS Group of 5 = AAA/AHL
FCS = AA/ECHL

Who doesn't love a good Baysox game? Just be that and people will be happy.

Now Marketing, realizing, becoming that, and listening to fans, etc. - that's the achilles heel of Towson. We are always caught in the middle with endless higher education bureaucrats either 1) thinking we are going to be something to the greater Baltimore area or 2) will kill any sense of fun/school pride the second a drunk student sets foot in a parking lot.

If we can ever realize no one in Baltimore or even Towson city cares about Towson unless they went there and focus on building our alumni and student engagement we can have an avid fanbase without being on ESPN in with a 100,000 person stadium.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

It's clear we are never going to be in the new college football Super League so for me I like us being good at this level; whatever that is. I see FCS (likely non-Super League FBS too ) just becoming like minor league baseball or hockey. Those teams turn over every year and most players don't make it to the show but the community gets excited when the team is good.  Every once in a while a kid clearly will become a star and you follow them and cheer for them as they move along. I never cared about UVA but when Shane went there for the covid season I followed them.

Super League = MLB/NHL
FBS Group of 5 = AAA/AHL
FCS = AA/ECHL

Who doesn't love a good Baysox game? Just be that and people will be happy.

Now Marketing, realizing, becoming that, and listening to fans, etc. - that's the achilles heel of Towson. We are always caught in the middle with endless higher education bureaucrats either 1) thinking we are going to be something to the greater Baltimore area or 2) will kill any sense of fun/school pride the second a drunk student sets foot in a parking lot.

If we can ever realize no one in Baltimore or even Towson city cares about Towson unless they went there and focus on building our alumni and student engagement we can have an avid fanbase without being on ESPN in with a 100,000 person stadium.

Exactly, don’t focus on Baltimore/Towson residents. It’s gotta be Towson students first and foremost then alum. Campus keeps growing. There are 5,000 new students this year alone. Get them to Johnny U!

• Like 3