• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigersTigers

Volleyball 2022

On 11/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, TigersTigers said:

Serial winners. in their biggest match of the year, Towson came through with a monstrous attacking performance, and delivered a 3-0 no-doubter to head back to the big show yet again. This team was a clear class above the rest of the CAA, and assuming they return most of their players, they could very well be just as dominant next year. 

Moving on to the NCAA tournament, there has been a big rule change that will greatly impact our placement. The committee now seeds 32 teams instead of 16, and then sends the bottom 32 to locations that they are close to. In the past, only the top 16 teams were seeded, so we were never even in contention for a seed. This is why we were always sent somewhere nearby, and it mostly benefitted us because the conferences/teams in our area are not as strong as those in the midwest and west. Now, we could get a seed, but it would be a low one. This would mean we would be sent to our first weekend location based on competitive placement and NOT proximity. As a result, the whole country is open, and we would be destined to play one of the best teams in the country in the second round. It'll be a big challenge, but that's what it takes to be a top program. Bring it on, I say.

I was going to say that I actually thought the new system would benefit Towson's seeding because the committee wouldn't default and just send the Tigers to Penn State. However, your analysis proved correct with the match up we ended up having against Texas. Still, pretty cool that Towson was a top 32 national seed. Great accomplishment by the program. Hopefully they can take out Georgia and get the matchup against the Longhorns. 

• Like 1

Personally I think this is a very fun draw. Getting the recognition of earning a seed is very nice to see, as well as a first round matchup against Georgia that is exciting because Georgia is a big name, it’s a team that Towson can beat, and it’s a team they don’t normally get a chance to play. On top of that, Gregory Gym is one of the cathedrals of American volleyball. Should they win their first round match, they will get the experience of playing against the #1 team in the country and one of the sport’s cultural giants in front of 4,500 fans. I just hope they give themselves that chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TigersTigers said:

Personally I think this is a very fun draw. Getting the recognition of earning a seed is very nice to see, as well as a first round matchup against Georgia that is exciting because Georgia is a big name, it’s a team that Towson can beat, and it’s a team they don’t normally get a chance to play. On top of that, Gregory Gym is one of the cathedrals of American volleyball. Should they win their first round match, they will get the experience of playing against the #1 team in the country and one of the sport’s cultural giants in front of 4,500 fans. I just hope they give themselves that chance.

I agree it is definitely fun, but my main point is that it was about as difficult a draw as could have gotten if we wanted to try to pull a second-round upset. My original point is that always sending us to a program like Penn State that is one of the best in the history of the sport was a regional quirk and it would possible produce a better opportunity. However, Texas is probably the most difficult second round draw possible. Of course, Georgia is an extremely challenging first round draw that can be overlooked. Still, I think this team showed what is capable of against Pittsburgh earlier this year and I look forward to seeing what they do in the Texas Regional. 

2 hours ago, TigersTigers said:

Game day!!! Let’s go ladies, get it done. 6pm eastern time (4pm my time), ESPN+. It’s the best time of the year!

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be watching.

Disappointing. A season's worth of good work was undone by one serve receive meltdown in Austin. They tried their best but it's just too difficult to beat good teams when you're routinely digging yourself a 5-point hole to start every set. If it was this group's first crack at the tournament, some of the poor decisions and ball control shakiness would be understandable. But it was a frustratingly naïve performance for a team that should be past that by now.

17 minutes ago, TigersTigers said:

Disappointing. A season's worth of good work was undone by one serve receive meltdown in Austin. They tried their best but it's just too difficult to beat good teams when you're routinely digging yourself a 5-point hole to start every set. If it was this group's first crack at the tournament, some of the poor decisions and ball control shakiness would be understandable. But it was a frustratingly naïve performance for a team that should be past that by now.

The last line is Towson athletics in a nutshell. Hey! We have a program and a good one!

what went wrong tonight?  Had it on but don’t know much about volleyball. Announcers seemed very pro dogs