• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigersTigers

Volleyball 2022

The first NCAA RPI was released today Towson is ranked No. 43.

It is worth noting that Pittsburgh is No. 4 and was ranked No. 5 by the committee in the top 10 seedings they released this weekend. Delaware is the only other team in our conference under 100. The next best conference team is Northeastern at 156.

Other notable teams we have played are Princeton at 92, Rutgers at 152, Bowling Green at 30 (which surprised me) and American at 103.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

• Like 1

Bowling Green is actually a very strong team, and it says something that we absolutely steamrolled them and didn't really even care. 43 is about what I expected, we finished last season at #66 (11 spots behind JMU), and spent most of 2019 in the 40s (although we finished it at #30). Before that, it was mostly 65-100 from 2014-2018. 

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Sounds like Steve will be looking for a new volleyball coach at years end. So is life as a mid major but it’s always good when coaches move up from here as it means they had a level of success!  
maybe our resident volleyball poster would know but how much door big schools pay volleyball coaches?  Any potential big Jobs out there?

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Sounds like Steve will be looking for a new volleyball coach at years end. So is life as a mid major but it’s always good when coaches move up from here as it means they had a level of success!  
maybe our resident volleyball poster would know but how much door big schools pay volleyball coaches?  Any potential big Jobs out there?

Currently, Don's base compensation is $85,000 a year. With performance bonuses and camps (A huge moneymaker for all college vb coaches), he probably ends up making between $100-120k. Meanwhile, basically every Power-5 coach is paid 6 figures for their base compensation. For P5 teams that are not traditionally strong, coaches are usually making between $120-$200k. For good teams, you can generally expect about $250-400k. The highest earner in the sport is John Cook of Nebraska, who is paid $675,000 per year. With camps and other income, he is a millionaire. 

There's no question that he'll be gone soon. The highest Towson would probably ever be willing to go for him would be about $100k, and he can make more than that in his first season even at a bad P5 school.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TigersTigers said:

Currently, Don's base compensation is $85,000 a year. With performance bonuses and camps (A huge moneymaker for all college vb coaches), he probably ends up making between $100-120k. Meanwhile, basically every Power-5 coach is paid 6 figures for their base compensation. For P5 teams that are not traditionally strong, coaches are usually making between $120-$200k. For good teams, you can generally expect about $250-400k. The highest earner in the sport is John Cook of Nebraska, who is paid $675,000 per year. With camps and other income, he is a millionaire. 

There's no question that he'll be gone soon. The highest Towson would probably ever be willing to go for him would be about $100k, and he can make more than that in his first season even at a bad P5 school.

I thought that his new contract raised his base to the “J” grade.  That would mean that hes over $100k base . He could have left for multiple jobs  over the past 5 years.  I hope that he stays.

2 hours ago, RundaPower said:

I thought that his new contract raised his base to the “J” grade.  That would mean that hes over $100k base . He could have left for multiple jobs  over the past 5 years.  I hope that he stays.

Yep, it looks like his base pay actually got bumped to $102k. Looks like they're making more of an effort to keep him than I would have expected. 

Well, shows what I know. I thought this weekend was going to be one of the most difficult of the whole season. I certainly did not expect two stone-cold ass-kickings.

Day 1 was a somewhat sloppy and defensive affair. Several of Towson's players did not have good offensive performances, but it didn't particularly matter since Delaware couldn't score on them to save their lives. What really tipped the scales in Towson's favor was their ability to not just contain Lani Mason, but to completely shut her down. She did lead her team with 10 kills, but it took her 12 errors to do it. In fact, Delaware's entire team hit a combined -.019. It is a very rare occurrence for a team (let alone a Top 100 team) to hit negative in a match. That just illustrates how thoroughly Delaware's offense was outclassed by Towson's defense on Saturday.

Day 2 was tactically not at all the same as Day 1, but the result was the same: a 3-0 slaughter. Instead of stifling the Blue Hens, Towson blew right by them with a monstrous attacking performance. The Tigers hit .400 as a team, with every single offensive player in the lineup having a good game. Very quickly, this match turned into a straight-up highlight reel, with every player taking huge swings, almost as if they were in a competition to see who could hit the ball the hardest. It still is true that Delaware is good enough to catch Towson out and beat them on a bad day. But Sunday's match was proof that when Towson is playing well, nobody in this conference can touch them. 

One final note on Nina Cajic: She raised her hitting percentage againto finish the weekend at .445. This should move her up to 2nd in the nation, only behind a middle. As previously stated, middles should always have higher percentages than pin hitters, as they attack the ball less often and in more advantageous circumstances. Basically, Michigan's Jess Robinson is leading the nation with a percentage of .483, but due to their positions, Cajic's .445 is actually more impressive.

• Like 1