• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Final Scrimmage update

Thanks for the report, Mat. I was there for about an hour and, like you, thought TJ was putting a nice touch on the ball. It'll be a real shame if he's done, but it would create an opportunity for someone else. I suspect RA goes with Piggy because of his experience. If he starts throwing INTs or otherwise failing in clutch situations, then Scott Smith probably gets his chance. (Despite the impressive comparison to Schaeffer, I believe you have to have a mobile QB to be successful at this level.)

I wasn't impressed by the placekicking, and kickoffs weren't deep. 

26 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Thanks for the report, Mat. I was there for about an hour and, like you, thought TJ was putting a nice touch on the ball. It'll be a real shame if he's done, but it would create an opportunity for someone else. I suspect RA goes with Piggy because of his experience. If he starts throwing INTs or otherwise failing in clutch situations, then Scott Smith probably gets his chance. (Despite the impressive comparison to Schaeffer, I believe you have to have a mobile QB to be successful at this level.)

I wasn't impressed by the placekicking, and kickoffs weren't deep. 

Cupitt was there last season on kickoffs. He'll be fine. Regular place kicks could be an issue, but we've had 100 other issues, so I didn't focus on kicks. We did have about four kicks blocked in the last two weeks. To me, the big concern is making short field goals and extra points. If they can do that, they'll be fine. If we're relying on a ton of field goal attempts, then we're in trouble.

As for TJ, hopefully it wasn't serious. Personally, even though I like Zach Jackson, I'd rather have an experienced guy behind Piggy and Scott Smith. Hopefully, we will not need to go to a third quarterback for injuries or performance-related reasons.

• Like 1