• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Opening depth chart

I know I obsess on the depth chart sometimes because it ain't going to be exact. But after watching three scrimmages and trying to figure out if they were experimenting or not, I’m still not sure what we’ll be seeing at Bucknell.

Here's what the official Media Depth Chart has and I'll comment on it. I'm also going to add some weight to some of these guys since a lof of them are from their first year here and you know they hit the weight room:

LT freshman Dan Volpe (6-6, 305). Shocker if this is true. Had an exceptional camp. But Josh Roberts was the starter at Lafayette who has played RT the last two scrimmages. I see Roberts starting, but maybe Volpe is that good.

Backup: R-soph Florian Staheler (6-8, 290). Very tall German recruit who has added some size since he got here. Mabe a year away.

LG Senior Alex Desire (6-4, 315). Pretty much a lock to start with Jean Germain getting a late start to camp. One of the few returners with experience.

Backup: Senior Mason Cholewa (6-7, 305). Defensive lineman switching to offense, but also playing D. If somebody goes down, he's probably playing offense, but I can't see him playing both at the same time.

C Senior Cole Cheripko (6-4, 310). The leader of the line and the offense

Backup: Mathias Adjinbaruk (6-3, 325). Played all over the place in the spring and summer from center to tackle. Versatility helps and has good size. However, he'll move to backup guard when Ralph Paige (6-3, 305), the Merrimack transfer returns from a minor knee injury. 

RG Grad student Julian Singh (6-3, 310). Could also play right tackle. Could move there if Paige comes back and plays guard.

Backup: Freshman Joden Nelson (6-4, 285). Highly-regarded player who improved as camp went on and should be future starter at one of the guard spots.

RT: Senior Roman Warheit (6-6, 335). Pretty experienced player and one of the first European players to come over and start along with Tibo Debaile. Was nicked up in the last scrimmage so will be interesting if he plays.

Backup: Josh Roberts (6-7, 325). Would be surprised if he doesn't start at one of the tackle spots especially against a team and program he knows well. Started seven games last season at Lafayette.

WR Grad student Darian Street (6-2, 195). Obvious starter. Most experienced receiver outside of Jabari Allen, who is not listed on the depth chart due to an ankle injury.

Backups or slot WR: Soph Brady McElhany (6-0, 170). Had solid camp. Pushed by r-Freshman Sam Reynolds (5-8, 185), a speedy South Carolina transfer and r-freshman Lukkas Londono, who is listed as the backup to....

WR Junior Da'Kendall James (6-1, 190). Norfolk State transfer who can fly. Had some productive seasons there.

Backup: Londono (5-10, 185) is listed there, but hmmm. Let me think who they left out. He's 6-2, 205 out of Palotti HS. Initials I.P.

TE Grad student Robert Schwob (6-7, 245). Former HS volleyball player and Maryland transfer who played sparingly last season. Haven’t seen him do much in passing game, but can block.

Backup: Redshirt sophomore Malik Jackson (6-3, 235). Maryland transfer with some potential. Three-star recruit who didn't play at College Park.

QB Grad student Tyler Johnston III (6-2, 215). UAB transfer listed as starter. Was injured in the last scrimmage so do the math.

Backup: Grad student Tyrell Pigrome (5-10, 205). Maryland/Western Ky/Ole Miss transfer. Hasn't played since 2020. Best runner since Tom Flacco and probably faster. Can sling it on the run. Will run some RPO with him in the game (whole world knows that).

OR: R-freshman Scott Smith (6-4, 210). One of the top players in the spring and summer. Can really sling it in the pocket. Has some ability to run, but probably not worth running the RPO with him in the game.

FB Senior Luke  Hamilton (6-0, 245). One of the top fullbacks in the CAA. How much will the Tigers use the fullback? Maybe 50% of the time? Depends on how effective the running game is.

Backup: Junior Dion Crews-Harris (6-0, 240). Strong blocker and can catch. 

TB Junior Devin Matthews (5-9, 210). Powerful back who lost some weight from last season. Is quicker and more explosive. Has to be if he is going to start, because last year was mainly a short-yardage and goal line back.

Or: R-Senior D'Ago Hunter (5-8, 160) or (5-5, 170). Also nicked up in the scrimmage. He will play, but he's not big enough to be every-down back.

Or: Junior Joachim Bangda (5-10, 230). Hard to believe Kent State rarely used him. Big, strong and fast. Be prepared.

Backup: Junior Curtis Murray (5-10, 195). Maine transfer and local player who has some shiftiness and third-down back ability, esp. if Hunter doesn't play.

Defense

DL/E Senior Jesus Gibbs (6-4, 290). Time to dominate.

Backup: Grad student Damir Faison (6-2, 265). Kent State/ECU transfer who had a strong camp.

DL/NG Grad student Vinnie Shaffer (5-11, 305). One of the strongest players on the team. Last year, he rotated with Sam Gyeni, another strong nose guard with quickness. 

Backup: DL/NG Grad student Mason Cholewa (6-7, 305). I see Ernie Smith (6-2, 290) as the backup here, though Cholewa can play anywhere on the line.

DL/E Senior Bryce Lauer (6-3, 285) is in the mix. Played a lot last season. I would expect Cholewa to start at the other end spot assuming he's not playing on the O-line. 

Backup: Grad student Shaheem Haltiwanger (6-3, 275). Very talented transfer from SC State who could start here and play some EDGE.

OLB: Grad student Jamal Gay (6-1, 215). Former safety moved to linebacker or Bandit position. 

Backup: Sophomore Daniel Raymond (6-0, 215). Very fast and talented. If he doesn't start, he'll be playing a lot.  Star potential.

MLB Grad student Ryan Kearney (6-1, 235). Started six games last season. Question is whether he'll start when Oregon transfer MJ Cunningham (6-2, 240) is ready to start.

Backup: Junior Sam Alsheimer (6-2, 225). Solid reserve. Expecting to see Cunningham in a backup role at one of the ILB spots in this game.

ILB: R-freshman Mason Woods (6-0, 230). Talented redshirt freshman who was a star in the spring. Again, Cunningham will start at one of these spots, probably by the West Virginia game.

Backup: Senior Amir Murray (5-11, 230). Juco transfer who has had a solid summer.

OLB/EDGE Grad student Tramar Reece (6-4, 265). Big defensive end who was moved over last season to EDGE. Will need to set the Edge and get to the QB. 

Backup: Grad student Makye Smith (6-1, 240). Stony Brook transfer who had five sacks and two FF with a FR last season. Expect him to play a lot in passing situations.

CB Grad student Robert Javier (6-1, 190). I guess it's possible that he starts. One of the few non-transfers in the secondary. ECU transfer Sean Tucker (6-0, 180) not even listed in the two-deep. Ok.

Backup: Sophomore Dorian Davis (6-0, 190). So. Illinois transfer who should start somewhere.

CB R-freshman Shafeek Smith (5-10, 175). Very talented corner, but not sure he's ready. Didn't play last season. Again, it's the media depth chart.

Backup: Junior Makai Self (5-9, 170). Penn State transfer who saw a little time last season. Should play more.

S Grad student Robert Topps III (6-3, 210). Kansas transfer who finally gets his shot. More of a free safety with great range.

Backup: R-freshman Evan Rutkowski (6-2, 205). Ryan's brother who had a very good spring and summer.

S Ubayd Steed (5-11, 180). Played last season and showed some flashes

Backup: But come on. Grad student Juwan Burgess (6-1, 200) is not coming off the bench.

FG Keegan Vaughan (5-11, 160). Just needs to make 40 and under.

Backup: Clayton Harris (6-0, 170). UConn transfer.

KO Junior Josh Cupitt (6-0, 170). Strong leg

Backup: Soph. Riley Williams (6-2, 210)

P Cupitt

Backup: Williams, I would expect the Aussie to start, but what do I know?

LS R-freshman Patrick Coyle (5-11, 200),

Backup: Griffin Patterson (6-5, 235)

KR1: D'Ago Hunter 

Juwan Burgess (wouldn't want to risk him, but again, not in charge. He can fly).

KR2: Devin Matthews Not very speedy but powerful

Londono (has the extra gear)

PR: Hunter

Londono

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we put in all the big boys on the line 325 x 5 = 1,625lbs that’s a whole lots of weight to move around. Is this the norm nowadays for college lineman or are we particularly huge this year? Feels like the heights and weights keep going up to crazy levels 

49 minutes ago, Blounge said:

If we put in all the big boys on the line 325 x 5 = 1,625lbs that’s a whole lots of weight to move around. Is this the norm nowadays for college lineman or are we particularly huge this year? Feels like the heights and weights keep going up to crazy levels 

We were bigger last season with Germain at 350 and Gilmore about the same on the right side. If we’re any good up front, we should dominate the line of scrimmage tomorrow.