• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022-23 General MBB Thread

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Tournament or bust.  Players, coaches and fans all on same page.  We can do this!

That game against Bryant is going to be good!

• Like 1

Three Man Weave did a quick-hitting Mid-Major podcast (episode 270). Along the lines of what TuTigers2012 said a little while back they ripped the new additions to the conference and probably overrated the departure of James Madison in hoops (although I had forgotten they beat Virginia, as did Navy).

They also mentioned Towson as finishing 45 spots higher than anyone in our conference last year in Ken Pom (we were 75 and Hofstra was 120), and that we were part of a rare group of teams that had the best offensive and defensive efficiency in our conference. Much like us they talked about it being a big disappointment that we didn't win the conference tournament and said this year should be our year.

They mentioned Hofstra and Delaware being in the mix again, and were wondering how lucky UNC-Wilmington was last year and if they could replicate what they did. For me, leaving out College of Charleston in that conversation seemed a little odd because I am frightened of what Pat Kelsey can do with this team in year two, but it was a 2-3 minute quick conversation. I also still believe that Stony Brook and Monmouth are better hoops programs than they are getting credit for. Of course, they both seem like they lost enough that they might be regrouping this year. Personally, I just have a hard time believing they won't at least be tough road opponents (we have to go to Long Island to face Stony Brook).

Finally, at the end of the podcast they were going over their list of top 5-6 mid-major teams in the nation. They named other teams, and towards the very end one of them chimed in informally "I might put Towson somewhere on that list". That is all. I just figured I would share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Three Man Weave did a quick-hitting Mid-Major podcast (episode 270). Along the lines of what TuTigers2012 said a little while back they ripped the new additions to the conference and probably overrated the departure of James Madison in hoops (although I had forgotten they beat Virginia, as did Navy).

They also mentioned Towson as finishing 45 spots higher than anyone in our conference last year in Ken Pom (we were 75 and Hofstra was 120), and that we were part of a rare group of teams that had the best offensive and defensive efficiency in our conference. Much like us they talked about it being a big disappointment that we didn't win the conference tournament and said this year should be our year.

They mentioned Hofstra and Delaware being in the mix again, and were wondering how lucky UNC-Wilmington was last year and if they could replicate what they did. For me, leaving out College of Charleston in that conversation seemed a little odd because I am frightened of what Pat Kelsey can do with this team in year two, but it was a 2-3 minute quick conversation. I also still believe that Stony Brook and Monmouth are better hoops programs than they are getting credit for. Of course, they both seem like they lost enough that they might be regrouping this year. Personally, I just have a hard time believing they won't at least be tough road opponents (we have to go to Long Island to face Stony Brook).

Finally, at the end of the podcast they were going over their list of top 5-6 mid-major teams in the nation. They named other teams, and towards the very end one of them chimed in informally "I might put Towson somewhere on that list". That is all. I just figured I would share.

Charleston, Hofstra, Delaware uncw in that order after Towson.  Charleston loaded up and Kelsey is a great coach. Hofstra if they could play defense would be up there too

Charleston wasn't even very good last year and they were still a handful when we played them both times. I completely agree on Kelsey. Hofstra was good last year, but I felt like their style played right into the hands of our time (probably a long way of saying we could light up their defense). I always worry about Delaware, and obviously for good reason based on last year.

It sounds like Monmouth lost almost everything from last year, but King Rice has done a solid job at times with that program. I still view Stony Brook as a solid program too. I think one of those two teams (likely Stony Brook) will be right around that UNC-Wilmington mix area you predicted. However, I am prepared to be completely wrong since I am basing most of my thoughts on overall program quality and not what they actually on the roster this year. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Charleston wasn't even very good last year and they were still a handful when we played them both times. I completely agree on Kelsey. Hofstra was good last year, but I felt like their style played right into the hands of our time (probably a long way of saying we could light up their defense). I always worry about Delaware, and obviously for good reason based on last year.

It sounds like Monmouth lost almost everything from last year, but King Rice has done a solid job at times with that program. I still view Stony Brook as a solid program too. I think one of those two teams (likely Stony Brook) will be right around that UNC-Wilmington mix area you predicted. However, I am prepared to be completely wrong since I am basing most of my thoughts on overall program quality and not what they actually on the roster this year. 

Not disrespecting stony or Monmouth.  Both have been good programs and lost a lot. Monmouth kicked our asses last year but lost 5 starters and 1 or 2 off their bench.  King rice has won at Monmouth but makes skerry look like a clutch coach in March in comparison. 

If Charles can do what he did last year plus a bit more like 13.5 and 7.0, cam should be as good or better playing without the mask, Gibson should be his 8-9 ppg and stretch the floor. Nick developed nicely last year and his shooting from three will be crucial this year. 

Im thinking nygal can give us what Rizzuto did last year (plus some better rebounding). If Conway and hicks can give us something like nolan and hicks last year, we should be good. Nolan was injured a good bit (hicks too) and sometimes got into hero ball. Parr will give us something more this year too hopefully. Even if it’s 10 minutes and 4 and 4. the X factor is sekou. 

biggest questions are:

how does sekous game translate to d1 level/fit in?

who will fill in for grays leadership and versatility?

Can we defend as well as we did last year?

is Conway the missing piece?

can we finally win in March?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2022/09/16/secu-naming-rights-um-terps.html

SECU partnership ends next season but looks like they want it to continue.

Just read the article. Didn’t see any mentioning of TU. Is your statement about SECU wanting to extend its naming rights partnership with TU based on something you’ve heard from someone in the athletic department? Not asking you to divulge anything confidential. Also I’m curious, to the extent you know, how much SECU pays us for the naming rights?

Edited by TSU88

54 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Just read the article. Didn’t see any mentioning of TU. Is your statement about SECU wanting to extend its naming rights partnership with TU based on something you’ve heard from someone in the athletic department? Not asking you to divulge anything confidential. Also I’m curious, to the extent you know, how much SECU pays us for the naming rights?

4.75 mill over 10 years.  I’m good with them naming it whatever as long as it it’s the best deal out there