• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022-23 General MBB Thread

50 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Personally, I think Gibson is better suited to be a 6th man/instant offense guy off the bench. I don’t see him as a PG, and I think his lack of size and quickness can be a defensive liability. I’m hoping Hicks or Conway step up and 1 of them becomes the starter, rather than Gibson. 

Agree. Some three point shooting off the bench

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Personally, I think Gibson is better suited to be a 6th man/instant offense guy off the bench. I don’t see him as a PG, and I think his lack of size and quickness can be a defensive liability. I’m hoping Hicks or Conway step up and 1 of them becomes the starter, rather than Gibson. 

He's a 2. I saw a lot of Hicks at the point and Gibson at the 2 during the summer. Now, if Conway is more of a 2, they do need a backup 1. The bottom line is that when Cam is on the court, he's the point forward. Hicks can at least defend and Gibby can stretch the floor. You can start Russell at the 3 and Timberlake at the 2. There are a lot of different options they can go with.

All the back issues Gibson previously had..   is that in the past for him now or do you we still need to watch his load management etc?  I forget if the surgery he had corrected the issue?

Love him off the bench firing away!

19 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

All the back issues Gibson previously had..   is that in the past for him now or do you we still need to watch his load management etc?  I forget if the surgery he had corrected the issue?

Love him off the bench firing away!

I don’t know if surgery ever corrects a back issue but Gibby was fine physically last year. This off-season, he was finally able to lift, which means he’ll be stronger. But I don’t see him all of a sudden becoming a slasher. He’s a shooter. Conway has that ability to finish off the bounce and he’s a great shooter. But like Gibby, he might be a detriment on D at least early on.

• Like 1

I don’t think the starting lineup on opening night will be the same in conference play. Also, the bigger issue is who will be in the game in the last five minutes with. CT, Nic and Cam. Could be Sylla, Russell, Hicks, Conway or Gibby. Might depend on the matchups. You might even want to play offense-defense depending on time and score. I think that’s where you need Russell to be your defensive stopper and be serviceable from three.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I don’t think the starting lineup on opening night will be the same in conference play. Also, the bigger issue is who will be in the game in the last five minutes with. CT, Nic and Cam. Could be Sylla, Russell, Hicks, Conway or Gibby. Might depend on the matchups. You might even want to play offense-defense depending on time and score. I think that’s where you need Russell to be your defensive stopper and be serviceable from three.

Charles got to the charity stripe 86 times last season as opposed to Cam who got there 187 times.  Cam shot around 70% and CT shot around 63%.  We know Timberlake and Gibson are both very solid from the line.  
If CT can get up to 70% this season then we really could be a tough team to beat in the last 2-3 minutes when it becomes a fouling game.  
And I really think this season CT will get to the line well over 125 times+.   

55 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Charles got to the charity stripe 86 times last season as opposed to Cam who got there 187 times.  Cam shot around 70% and CT shot around 63%.  We know Timberlake and Gibson are both very solid from the line.  
If CT can get up to 70% this season then we really could be a tough team to beat in the last 2-3 minutes when it becomes a fouling game.  

I don’t think CT will ever be a 70% ft shooter with that form.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

He was on the floor at the end of games last year and his ft shooting was a non issue. College teams don’t hack a player or usually foul a poor shooter.  We typically do a good job getting the ball into who we want to. 

Big man’s gonna have to give us 13-7.5 1.5 blocks and stay healthy so he can play 30 minutes a game. His defense, screen setting and hedging (ugh) is integral . 

9 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Schedule for Savannah Invitational posted on the tournament's website.  Tickets now on sale.  We've got South Dakota State Friday, South Alabama Saturday, and Mercer Sunday.

https://enmarketarena.com/HHCClassic/

Very nice.  Glad we got the likely best team in that tournament.  Woulda liked to have Jmu there too for another beatdown