• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022-23 General MBB Thread

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Very exciting.   My only frustration with this team assembled is SECU is only a decade old and not that fans show up but we only have “3” non conference home games. 
Veteran group you’d love to see have more home games.  
Albany/Coppin/Navy 😔

Saint Mary’s and their crappy gym in Moraga California home schedule goes…

Oral Roberts/Vermont/North Texas/Southern/Hofstra/New Mexico/Missouri State/Nee Mexico State/Colorado State 

The fact that you’re putting Towson in the same breath as St. Mary’s is blasphemous. They are a perennial top 25 program and that league isn’t even considered a mid-major but most at this point 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Very exciting.   My only frustration with this team assembled is SECU is only a decade old and not that fans show up but we only have “3” non conference home games. 
Veteran group you’d love to see have more home games.  
Albany/Coppin/Navy 😔

Saint Mary’s and their crappy gym in Moraga California home schedule goes…

Oral Roberts/Vermont/North Texas/Southern/Hofstra/New Mexico/Missouri State/Nee Mexico State/Colorado State 

St. Mary's definitely has a more successful history, better leverage and more desirable geography than we do when it comes to their home schedule. Part of why I think it is more important to build a sustainable program than just purely focusing on the NCAA Tournament is the more people get used to us having a strong program, the more things like scheduling, attendance and recruiting take care of themselves. St. Mary's has built up their reputation over the last 15-20 years. It would be nice to string together 5-6 straight years of high NET rankings, top three conference finishes, some strong non-conference wins, and yes, most importantly, NCAA Tournament appearances so we can be viewed in a positive way reputationally in college hoops circles moving forward.

I have noticed the last 3-5 year the College Basketball Weave guys (who I reference quite a big because I am impressed with the depth and breadth of their knowledge) have mentioned us more. A lot of this because of some of the transfer recruiting that Skerry has done (which has obviously been a mixed bag). They have taken notice seem to always mention Towson in passing when they talk about mid-major transfer updates. It also feels like Skerry has a pretty decent relationship with Jon Rothstein who seems to go out of his way to mention Towson 3-4 times a year. 

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

The fact that you’re putting Towson in the same breath as St. Mary’s is blasphemous. They are a perennial top 25 program and that league isn’t even considered a mid-major but most at this point 

McKeon Pavilion opened in 1978 and seats 3500.  
Yes the Gaels have had success due to their Australian pipeline of players. 
My point is why did we build a new arena if we weren’t gonna bring in more home games and better quality teams.  

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

My point is why did we build a new arena if we weren’t gonna bring in more home games and better quality teams.  

Who the hell is going to come play in an empty arena against what should be a very good team?? No one. Road games against good teams, which we have, are better 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Wasn't the 1992-93 squad the one that dominated the whole Big South season and got knocked off by Winthrop in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament? My freshman year was 1993-94 when we dominated Big South play and lost to Liberty in the semifinals. We have a few of these years sprinkled in with many other mediorce and bad ones. Hopefully, we can exorcise those demons this year. 

I would definitely agree there is a lot of room for optimism. Let's enjoy the ride from day one, and hopefully we can get where we need to go. 

Exactly, DOMINANT in regular season behind Devon Boyd & Scooter Alexander, but couldn't BUY a rebound from Matt Campbell or Larry Brown against lowly Winthrop - the very 1st failure of many in post-season play to come..

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I agree, but I think they have an easier time getting opponents to come there because it is a part of the country where teams want to travel around that time of year for a tournament/game. St. Mary's is always a win-win opportunity in terms of being a high quality team that you can't damage your RPI/NET playing, and they have better leverage then we do when it comes to scheduling home-and-home.

I agree with your goals that we all want, but I don't think the program factors are an apples to apples comparison right now. It would be great if they were someday.

Skerry has to mindful of playing quality teams. The Penn, UNC-Greensboro, LIU and Bryant matchups are all part of one-for-one contracts that just happen to be away this year. The neutral site tournament is part of most teams schedules and takes away three more non-conferences games. Clemson, Northern Iowa and UMass are all pretty solid matchups and teams that would not come here unless we did two-for-ones or a neutral site game and one at their place.

That leaves us with local matchups (Coppin State) and two one-for-ones (Navy and Albany) at home. If we wanted to trade Northern Iowa, Clemson and UMass for worse games against local teams, non D-1 opponents or low quality D-1 teams at home that was probably the only other option unfortunately. We could also play really good teams on the road with no return of games to Towson. I think UMass and Northern Iowa are good examples of teams that would probably do one-for-ones with a St. Mary's type program but not us.

I do agree with you and most that I am a little disappointed that Skerry has never leveraged one of his previous coaching connections into at a minimum a two-for-one visit from a high major. TCU or Pittsburgh feel like teams we should be able to get to do that, but that is all easier said then done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Wasn't the 1992-93 squad the one that dominated the whole Big South season and got knocked off by Winthrop in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament? My freshman year was 1993-94 when we dominated Big South play and lost to Liberty in the semifinals. We have a few of these years sprinkled in with many other mediorce and bad ones. Hopefully, we can exorcise those demons this year. 

I would definitely agree there is a lot of room for optimism. Let's enjoy the ride from day one, and hopefully we can get where we need to go. 

Yes

17 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I agree, but I think they have an easier time getting opponents to come there because it is a part of the country where teams want to travel around that time of year for a tournament/game. St. Mary's is always a win-win opportunity in terms of being a high quality team that you can't damage your RPI/NET playing, and they have better leverage then we do when it comes to scheduling home-and-home.

I agree with your goals that we all want, but I don't think the program factors are an apples to apples comparison right now. It would be great if they were someday.

Skerry has to mindful of playing quality teams. The Penn, UNC-Greensboro, LIU and Bryant matchups are all part of one-for-one contracts that just happen to be away this year. The neutral site tournament is part of most teams schedules and takes away three more non-conferences games. Clemson, Northern Iowa and UMass are all pretty solid matchups and teams that would not come here unless we did two-for-ones or a neutral site game and one at their place.

That leaves us with local matchups (Coppin State) and two one-for-ones (Navy and Albany) at home. If we wanted to trade Northern Iowa, Clemson and UMass for worse games against local teams, non D-1 opponents or low quality D-1 teams at home that was probably the only other option unfortunately. We could also play really good teams on the road with no return of games to Towson. I think UMass and Northern Iowa are good examples of teams that would probably do one-for-ones with a St. Mary's type program but not us.

I do agree with you and most that I am a little disappointed that Skerry has never leveraged one of his previous coaching connections into at a minimum a two-for-one visit from a high major. TCU or Pittsburgh feel like teams we should be able to get to do that, but that is all easier said then done. 

The mid major madness twitter account did a CAA preview and had skerry on. On a Twitter space. Skerry talks about how he went to his guys gibson, NT, Charles and asked if they wanted non d1 games at home or go on the road for some tougher matchups, they chose the latter. 

• Like 2