• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson beats Bucknell 14-13 in overtime, but....The ship be sinking

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/9/3/towson-football-wins-season-opener-in-overtime-at-bucknell.aspx

That was a comment made by Michael Ray Richardson about 40 years ago. The former NBA player was a character, but it's not a funny situation. Yes, Towson beat Bucknell 14-13 in overtime tonight, but it almost felt like a loss.

Since the 2020 Covid season that was lost, we went to going for mostly FBS transfers on both sides of the ball. I know it's only been 12 games, but the results have been disastrous on offense and defense. The defense played great in the first half, but in the second half, they were not good. There were guys open in the secondary, but the Bucknell QB was not good. The lack of pass rush, as usual, is glaring. We also get there, but too late.

Tonight, Towson played a Bucknell team that went 1-10 last season. Towson went 4-7 last season, but the hope was that a new QB, whether it was Scott Smith or Tyrell Pigrome, that offense would be much sharper and more explosive. Instead, Game 1 was an absolute disaster on the offensive end. No flow, bad penalties, and play-calling that made little sense. When you are running the football in between the tackles and they can't stop you, why throw it? 

The entire problem aside from play-calling against the Bison was rhythm on offense. The offensive line had four new starters and to expect a true freshman in Dan Volpe to be great as a pass blocker, is asking a lot. He ended up not finishing the game with RG Julian Singh moving over to LT. 

But all the variables in the world don't matter. If the head coach can't have this team ready to play on opening game, then how are they going to fare in the CAA? Beating a terrible Bucknell team in OT only because their kicker missed an XP is not going to fly. This is on him and his staff, but mainly him. 

Is Piggy the answer the rest of the season? I don't think so but he's the best option at the moment until Smith can show he's ready to go.

Not a good performance. Not a good sign for the rest of the season. Morgan State next week. But they need to start showing something and it starts with the head coach having this team prepared mentally for this game, but also getting the rock to Matthews and Bangda (he'll be back next week).

• Like 1

totally agree.  the team was unwatchable.  Bucknell QB was really bad, yet we could not separate ourselves from a 1-10 patriot league team, and if we don't convert that long 4th down in OT, it's likely we lose.  

I think the team will get better on offense. I mean they can't get worse. But they have a long ways to go to become average offensively. I just don't see a win outside of Morgan State after tonight's performance. And that's not a given. Whether the defense is better and it looks it will be, you can't rely on defense to win games anymore. If we don't play a lot better at home next week, this will look like 2009 again.

I didn't even mention Keegan Vaughan's issues on field goals. Saw that in camp that he struggled to make field goals. Had some low kicks that we blocked. He makes one or two and they win in regulation. 

On the bright side, Isaiah Perkins with 6 catches for 81 yards in his first game. DK James with 7 for 51. Not bad. Matthews with 26 carries for 112 yards and two TDs. That kid just busts his ass every time he carries the ball. He and Bangda should be a good duo, but I still think for the second straight season, we needed a shifty back.

The O-line is a total work-in progress. I get it. At some point, they need to figure if the LT is Singh or Volpe. If Germain returns, where does he fit? Several missed blocks as well by backs and tight ends. This was just a brutal performance all-around on offense.

Also, I don't want to destroy Scott Smith. The kid looked terrific in camp and in the spring. I was shocked, though, when he started him and Volpe, a true freshman at left tackle. Smith will be good one day. Maybe it will be this season. Maybe next. He has the arm and showed some legs tonight. But looked as though he didn't want to make mistakes. He short-armed that first pass and then hesitated to get the ball downfield. I would say the pass protection was pretty good when he was in there. 

But is Piggy the answer? There were some good things tonight, but he threw a terrible pick early. We do need that running ability though the RPO was definitely off in terms of timing. Bottom line? It's not enough.

Great Michael “Sugar” Ray Richardson reference. Personally, tonight feels like a L rather than a W. Folks, this game was against an opponent that was 1-10 last season …in the Patriot League. 

The offense was, well, offensive. It was so impotent that it had me yearning for a return to the halcyon days of Chris Ferguson. Granted it’s a very small sample size, but this kid Smith at QB was a complete deer in the headlights. Pigrome isn’t much of a passer, but at least he can scramble, which is helpful, given the porous pass blocking we saw tonight. It’s not just that the offense is allergic to scoring, but it’s boring as hell. Maybe this RB Bangara will provide a spark when he plays, though it never ceases to amaze me how it seems like we always seem to run out of RB’s

The D? Meh. They didn’t force a single TO. I suspect more talented offenses will be far more productive than the offensive juggernaut we played tonight 

We don’t seem to have a FG kicker, but hey, we may have a good punter, though his leg might fall off from overuse 

Then there’s the coaching. Baffling play calling, exceeded only by its unimaginative nature. 

How many days until basketball season starts?

I agree the D looked good in the first half but the offense all game was hard to watch. The thing about Smith is, he has the hardest part down which is the passing (it seems like). If he can clean up his technique in other areas he could be good for us. Pigrome was definitely a disappointment but what else did we expect. Good on him for converting that 4th down in OT though. 

43 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I agree the D looked good in the first half but the offense all game was hard to watch. The thing about Smith is, he has the hardest part down which is the passing (it seems like). If he can clean up his technique in other areas he could be good for us. Pigrome was definitely a disappointment but what else did we expect. Good on him for converting that 4th down in OT though. 

It’s bucknell. Probably the worst or second worst offense we play all year…

I’m negative. Everyone knows that. Someone give me something positive besides it’s one game closer to the end? 🙏🏼 . 

51 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s bucknell. Probably the worst or second worst offense we play all year…

I’m negative. Everyone knows that. Someone give me something positive besides it’s one game closer to the end? 🙏🏼 . 

You’re not wrong but I just don’t look forward to hearing you say the same thing over and over again for the next 10 weeks. 

• Haha 1

This is probably the worst I’ve felt after a win in a long time. The product on the field gave me zero confidence going forward that this team can even remotely compete in conference play. 

• Like 1