• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football Edges Morgan State 29-21

4 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

A few thoughts:

RA has been flagged at least three times in his years here for poor sideline conduct. Having watch football since the 1960s, I've NEVER seen another coach -- even Gordy, who could get pretty riled up at the officials -- get flagged. This is not just an embarrassment, it's shameful.

Why is No. 0 in the backfield at all? He's tiny, provides no protection for the QB, and averaged 3.1 yards per carry. Reynolds averaged 6 yards. The math is obvious, or should be.

Piggy's passing skills are modest, at best, but his mobility gives him playmaking ability. If he gets hurt at West Virginia, we might not win another game.

If he stays healthy, my expectation is we win two more games, three max. (I hope I'm wrong, that Bangda finally gets on the field and proves to be a stud, that we start gelling in general. But it's hard to ignore what I've seen, and how hollow the head coach's past overstatements have proven to be.)

It’s has to have been more than 3..

Any success this team has is based on qbs legs not arm

7 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

A few thoughts:

RA has been flagged at least three times in his years here for poor sideline conduct. Having watch football since the 1960s, I've NEVER seen another coach -- even Gordy, who could get pretty riled up at the officials -- get flagged. This is not just an embarrassment, it's shameful.

Why is No. 0 in the backfield at all? He's tiny, provides no protection for the QB, and averaged 3.1 yards per carry. Reynolds averaged 6 yards. The math is obvious, or should be.

Piggy's passing skills are modest, at best, but his mobility gives him playmaking ability. If he gets hurt at West Virginia, we might not win another game.

If he stays healthy, my expectation is we win two more games, three max. (I hope I'm wrong, that Bangda finally gets on the field and proves to be a stud, that we start gelling in general. But it's hard to ignore what I've seen, and how hollow the head coach's past overstatements have proven to be.)

Watching a replay of the game, Gordy did mention he had a penalty against Bucknell. One in his career. Guessing Coach A never had one.

Ok, got to watch the game back on MPT. Didn't realize that it was basically a Flo broadcast with TSN cameras. Save for a few mistakes by the cameras getting faked out on the RPOs, I thought it was fine.

So my first impression is that we sub we took much on defense. No wonder there is no continuity and chemistry. Only guys that play the whole way were Mason Woods and Ryan Kearney, who played about 95% of the time. Woods was probably the best defender, though both guys dropped picks. I had us for five drops by five different receivers in the first half. Piggy threw two great long balls. One to Street on the first play that he dropped and one to DK James on that last drive that just went off his fingertips.

But getting back to the subs, I counted Steed, Topps, Xavier Terry, and Rutkowski at safety. Burgess played very little at safety. My guess is that they are still experimenting but with Hunter coming off an ankle injury, they wanted Burgess to return kicks. Again, perplexing but Evan Rutkowski was playing with Topps on that last drive. The Bears scored on just one drive in the second half on their first possession and Steed gets a 15-yard penalty for a late-hit out of bounds. Then whiffs on a TD run by Graham, who was very impressive (runs under 4.4 40). Also in that last drive when Jesus Gibbs went down and Graham went crazy to the refs, it almost looked like he faked it to get a timeout. Though why would you want your most talented player off the field? Just bizarre shit on D. They finally blitz and they make plays, but it shouldn't have come down to that. If you don't go for 2 and kick the extra point, you get the field and goal and lead by 9. Game over. Then again, we probably play Hachvent and let them go right down the field without blitzing.

On the long TD pass that Carson Baker threw to Avery Jones, why was the safety help from Topps? Robert Javier wasn't really beaten badly, but the Bears went with a different formation. They had two tight ends and we looked confused.

So Sean Tucker did play some cornerback. Thought Shafeek Smith and Javier were ok. It appears were a bit bitter at corner this season, but the lack of pass rush doesn't help matters. We did get some rush in the first half. Lauer had a sack that was called back on the Jamal Gay hold. Then he had Baker in his grasp in the second half and couldn't finish. Same with Vinnie in the first half. 

What are we doing with having Tramar Reece and Mason Woods covering receivers? One is a 6-4, 270-pound OLB and the other is a 6-0, 235-pound ILB. 

I have no clue who the starters should be on defense right now aside from Woods, Vinnie, and Gibbs, When MJ Cunningham and Janaz Jordan are ready to go, they need to be in there. Matthews was the best RB by far but he got nicked up in the second half. So no Folley or Curtis Murray. We went with Hunter almost the entire second half with Piggy running a ton.

Play-calling wasn't as suspect as I thought it was in the Bucknell game. Red zone play-calling and execution were iffy. Miss Jabari Allen's height there. Again, it's where you need Bangda but what happened to direct snap to Matthews? I guess it's tough to do that at the 10. It's more for inside the 5.

You gotta like the way piggy can shift and juke through the defense. RPO can be more effective if we can get a healthy stable of running backs to play in the same game. D’Ago needs to be relegated to kick returns only. No more handing it off to Hunter. Maybe hit a screen pass to him but that’s it. 

the defense is gonna get a good education at WVU this weekend. Hopefully we can grow and learn in the next two weeks to look better prepared for conference play

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, TSU88 said:

Yes, we are undefeated. And rumor has it Mrs. Lincoln loved the play 

Staying that way after this coming game could be tough.....but you never know!