• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

We're on to UNH....Tigers fall to West Virginia 65-7

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

It's positive because if we somehow won that game Rob would get a 10 year extension

Never say never.. he is a pillar of Towson football..

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Here are a couple of tidbits, unrelated to today’s game, but somewhat TU related:

(1) Southern Illinois U (where Tim Leonard is now the AD) beat Northwestern today;

(2) Jeff Miller, former TU QB has passed for 740 yards, 8 TD’s to 1 INT, in 3 games this season with D2 Glenville (WVA) State. 

Yikes 

The pressure is on this week. I can understand the reticence about supporting this staff right now, but I do support the players. I've seen their potential and I think they are more talented than last season at pretty much every aspect save for the offensive line and maybe cornerback where Collins (when he played) was very good. Jerry Howard was pretty damn good last season behind a line that faced a stacked box every game and he averaged nearly 5.0 yards per carry. Not sure that Matthews and Bangda are better, but combined they can be just as good. I do think Matthews has picked up another gear this season, though he's not a burner. Neither is Bangda, though he wasn't given a real chance today. Love Hunter as a returner and a third-down back. He's not a primary back, but he can certainly help. So can Sam Reynolds and he should get 4-5 touches minimum as a runner and receiver each game due to his 4.4 speed.

All I'm asking is for our defense is to use the speed, size and weapons that we have added in the offseason. S Juwad Burgess (Indiana, USC commit, 4.5 speed), DT Janaz Jordan (6-4, 325, Colorado), CB Sean Tucker (6-0, 190 3*, ECU), ILB MJ Cunningham (6-1, 240, 4* Oregon), DB Dorian Davis (6-0, 195, So. Illinois). Not even mentioning the recent transfers that are playing ok (Faison, Haltiwanger). We are not starting one of those guys I've mentioned that are pretty high-level FBS transfers. Not saying all are great, but it's odd that they are either coming off the bench or playing very little. I think some of that will change next week.

UNH lost to a pretty good NC Central team 45-27 today at home. They allowed over 200 yards rushing. There’s no doubt what we have to do on offense.

• Like 1

If I read the UNH stats correctly..  

They only rushed the ball for 60+ yards today which was around the same total when they beat Monmouth in week 1 and then against Albany it was well over 250+ yards rushing. 
Lets hope we stop their run this coming week!

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

If I read the UNH stats correctly..  

They only rushed the ball for 60+ yards today which was around the same total when they beat Monmouth in week 1 and then against Albany it was well over 250+ yards rushing. 
Lets hope we stop their run this coming week!

I think we have the potential to be pretty good against the run with the Colorado transfer on the line and Oly Okombi back in action. I also think he should play the Edge against the run. Pass defense is another story.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I think we have the potential to be pretty good against the run with the Colorado transfer on the line and Oly Okombi back in action. I also think he should play the Edge against the run. Pass defense is another story.

168, 149 and 322 yards allowed on the ground 

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

168, 149 and 322 yards allowed on the ground 

I said we have the potential to be good on the ground with the addition of the kid from Colorado. I didn't say we were currently good. Pass defense is always going to be bad.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I said we have the potential to be good on the ground with the addition of the kid from Colorado. I didn't say we were currently good. Pass defense is always going to be bad.

This isn’t a typical cynical question by me. But why is it every year we allow soft coverage and rarely blitz. Shouldn’t we able to somewhat defend the pass?  Guys are always open and this has always been an issue even with good players. (Smith and love). Nothing changed over the year.  Are other teams that more athletic than us at skill positions where they can get open but we can’t?

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

This isn’t a typical cynical question by me. But why is it every year we allow soft coverage and rarely blitz. Shouldn’t we able to somewhat defend the pass?  Guys are always open and this has always been an issue even with good players. (Smith and love). Nothing changed over the year.  Are other teams that more athletic than us at skill positions where they can get open but we can’t?

Well, West Virginia certainly was but most teams should not be more athletic than us. I've been bitching for weeks that we have better athletes at corner and safety that we're not using. But does it really matter? If the coverage is going to be soft and we're going to rush 3 on 3rd and 12, to me, it's more scheme and playcalling than it is just personnel issues. Also, while the DC's have changed over the years, the head coach hasn't. I'm guessing he has something to do with the way the team defends. Maybe he completely gives his DC's all the authority in the world to run their own D, but I highly doubt it.

• Like 1