• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

We're on to UNH....Tigers fall to West Virginia 65-7

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Well, West Virginia certainly was but most teams should not be more athletic than us. I've been bitching for weeks that we have better athletes at corner and safety that we're not using. But does it really matter? If the coverage is going to be soft and we're going to rush 3 on 3rd and 12, to me, it's more scheme and playcalling than it is just personnel issues. Also, while the DC's have changed over the years, the head coach hasn't. I'm guessing he has something to do with the way the team defends. Maybe he completely gives his DC's all the authority in the world to run their own D, but I highly doubt it.

Noway that we should be running the same defense over the years with zero positive results. That’s on the head coach who hopefully has less than a handful of games less.

the only offense that wouldn’t be able to move and score on our defense would be our own 😂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Noway that we should be running the same defense over the years with zero positive results. That’s on the head coach who hopefully has less than a handful of games less.

the only offense that wouldn’t be able to move and score on our defense would be our own 😂

I think it's funny that some people on this board think if he goes 4-7 again with a contract that is up and a new AD, that he's going to return. The last AD wanted to move on, but they moved on with him. This is not a bad job. It pays pretty well compared to other FCS jobs. If he doesn't get the job done at the end of the season, there will be plenty of applicants.

What I can’t wrap my head around is all the FBS transfers on D (schools include Oregon, Colorado, Kansas, S. Carolina, ECU, Indiana. Maybe Penn State too? Perhaps others I’ve overlooked) yet collectively they aren’t good at football. Is it poor talent evaluation in terms of even recruiting them, or is it poor coaching, both in terms of deciding which ones play, and the schemes employed when they do play? I suspect a combination of the two. 

Part II of what I can’t wrap my head around is why our CB’s give such generous cushions. There were several occasions Saturday when it was 2nd or 3rd and long & our CB’s were giving 10 yard cushions. This made for a simple game of pitch and catch for the WVA QB. There just seems to be no imagination, and no willingness to try different strategies. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing (that’s not working) over & over again, and expecting a different result. Thus, our D coordinator must be insane.

Part III of what I can’t wrap my head around is why we are using a 5’6, 160 lb guy as our feature back. Are there no other RB’s on the roster? 3 games in & how many explosive plays (plays of over 20 yards) do we have? A couple, maybe? 

All of this is attributable to the head coach, who, up to now, seems not to be held accountable for this mess. Hopefully, that will mercifully change at the end of the season though.

Funny thing is, if we somehow pull out a W Saturday, against a UNH team that doesn’t appear to be a juggernaut, will be 3-1. OTOH, if we L, we could be in the early stages of a long losing streak. 

• Like 2

Part II has been a pox on this defense for at least as long as the Championship Game year.  It's unnerving to watch def. coordinator after def. coordinator come in here and not run an attacking style of defense, especially when it comes to long yardage situations.  Here ya go, catch it after 15 yards and then we'll tackle you to move the sticks.  Bring a blitz or 3 and let the corners press cover.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chris Datres said:

Part II has been a pox on this defense for at least as long as the Championship Game year.  It's unnerving to watch def. coordinator after def. coordinator come in here and not run an attacking style of defense, especially when it comes to long yardage situations.  Here ya go, catch it after 15 yards and then we'll tackle you to move the sticks.  Bring a blitz or 3 and let the corners press cover.  

Exactly!! Geez, if we’re going to lose anyway, why not send the house & put the CB’s up in the faces of the WR’s. Who knows, maybe we’ll occasionally get a sack or at least force a hurried pass to a WR who isn’t wide open 

As I’ve said over and over again, that all the transfers are not playing or starting for whatever reason. If you look at the back seven, both starting corners are non transfers, Topps is a transfer but he’s been in the program art least three years.Three of the four starting linebackers are non transfers. Up front. Lauer is not a transfer, while Vinnie and Gibbs have been in the program at least three years. There is not one new transfer who is starting on defense.

Now things could change against UNH as some of the transfers like Cunningham and Jordan basically just got here. But it’s puzzling why the others are just role players unless they were just using the first three games as playing the more experienced guys over the more talented new transfers. It’s mind boggling.

As for playing soft, I didn’t see that much against Bucknell and it was understandable against West Virginia, but even the announcers were shocked at how much cushion they were given up. Personally, I’m just used to seeing that and I think it shows no confidence in the corners when you play like that.

I’m not saying Robert Javier is a good corner, but he’s right there on a lot of the TDs he gives up. Just doesn’t make enough plays. It would also help that Daniels could find two starting safeties and stick with them instead of rotating throughout the game. That’d  position is a major problem right now as the corners have received very little help and communication must not be great.

Bottom line is no pass rush, no pass defense. If you are getting no pass rush from four players and you are unwilling to blitz, than the defense is going to continue to get shredded in the air and give up chunk plays on the ground because they are playing the pass.