• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

New Coach Thread

18 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Pat Skerry is able to retain top talent which is worth its weight in gold in the transfer portal era we play in now. He’s got his guys loyal to him and that speaks volumes 

Enough top talent to bomb out in the CAA tournament....for over a decade....the only real games that matter.....I know I will get bashed for saying that, but the truth is the truth....Winning in the regular season is feel good, but that and 10 cents gets you a cup of coffee. 

• Like 1

I think minimally we are all confident about basketball this year. Not like football. The energy around the basketball program for those keeping tabs is HALF GLASS FULL

9 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I think minimally we are all confident about basketball this year. Not like football. The energy around the basketball program for those keeping tabs is HALF GLASS FULL

after 13 years...I would hope so

On 9/26/2022 at 11:03 AM, TuTigers2012 said:

We all know how bad the programs were before the respective coaches both took over. It’s not year 2 or 3 or even 8 for them! They have had the time and some success.  

Pat has won a lot in the regular season and had adjusted his coaching philosophy. But the constant failing in early March is what needs to change. 

I totally agree he needs to win in March. I also think he’s had some bad luck in those.  Off the top of my head 

-Maybe our best team (Bennimon) was ineligible to compete

-Johnny Davis gets shot 

- Charles Sprains his ankle in the opener last year 

5 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I totally agree he needs to win in March. I also think he’s had some bad luck in those.  Off the top of my head 

-Maybe our best team (Bennimon) was ineligible to compete

-Johnny Davis gets shot 

- Charles Sprains his ankle in the opener last year 

That was a good team that got hot at the end. 

bad luck and adversity his everyone. We have had our share of that but we also have been the better seed in most tournaments and we’re pretty uncompetitive in the losses 

just feels like he gets tight in March and it spreads to the players

Guys, please get back to football and potential coaches. There's a general basketball thread to discuss hoops. I don't want to start moving comments.

• Like 1

Agreed. The fact you guys are bringing up Skerry in this thread is borderline idiotic. We are all pretty much in agreement that football needs to move in another direction, and I do appreciate Atlanta Tiger bringing up ideas and people reacting to it. This is the conversation.

We can have the Skerry conversation (as dumb as it is) when the season starts, and for those of you that want him gone it is not worth even having the conversation until March. In the meantime, lets stay on the football coach topic.

I agree with the sentiment that someone who can recruit the DMV is important (or at least someone who can assemble a staff that can do it effectively). I wish I had extensive enough knowledge to come up with names, but I feel like a lot of us will have to do some digging. I have much more confidence that Eigenbrot has a ready-made list of names in his mind to check on than I would have that Tim Leonard would have (no evidence for this, just a hunch). 

I am not sure there is a ready-made list of boxes to check for this hire, because at this level there are so many different directions you can go and some of the guys you can and can't get are based on circumstance or connections with the AD or university. This will be an interesting process. In the meantime, I just hope we can play well enough so this season doesn't get ugly.  

• Like 2

For the first time since Mikey W I feel like we have an AD that knows how to use the internet and knows how to build engagement, despite the fact that I hate the GOH campaign at least he tried something.  I have faith Dr Steve will be able to sell the position well to get good candidates. We have a good stadium, new practice fields, a talented area to recruit from, a solid geographic rival (UD). Yes, we likely need an indoor practice facility but if the new coach can start winning and filling the stands that will come.  Mikey W got us our only sellout ever ten years ago - it can be done again with the right pieces in place.