• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

New Coach Thread

32 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Let's revive this thread.....any new or interesting coaching candidate suggestions from anyone??

Hope there’s a few young hungry coordinators out there.  Some here will want an alum coaching the team. The overall history of Towson football has been average at best, so my question to that would be why?!  Need someone outside and with energy. 

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hope there’s a few young hungry coordinators out there.  Some here will want an alum coaching the team. The overall history of Towson football has been average at best, so my question to that would be why?!  Need someone outside and with energy. 

Oh bother… you really have no clue about the history of Towson football.  Keep spinning your web on the board, Spidey. Those who don’t know the historybelieve you.  

Aren’t we the only program in the country that’s been to the D3, D2 and D1 playoffs? I mean, there’s certainly been some good history. The question of whether the new coach (assuming there will be one) should have ties to TU or not is a fair one. Most importantly, any new coach has to be a much better recruiter than the current coach, and much better at X’s and O’s/developing the players which are brought in. That’s not asking too much, is it? For one, I want him to bring in a QB (HS kid preferably) like the QB for W&M. 

57 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Oh bother… you really have no clue about the history of Towson football.  Keep spinning your web on the board, Spidey. Those who don’t know the historybelieve you.  

Thanks for showing up!  I did make a mistake in my statement. Yes there has been a  history of football (sort of), making the playoffs at all three levels is cool. I was speaking on the overall history of success, which actually does matter.

The overall division one record is 211-221. And 3 playoff appearances. 1987-current. 
You seem invested in the program (I have my hunches) so who, besides rob, do you want to lead the program??

28 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Aren’t we the only program in the country that’s been to the D3, D2 and D1 playoffs? I mean, there’s certainly been some good history. The question of whether the new coach (assuming there will be one) should have ties to TU or not is a fair one. Most importantly, any new coach has to be a much better recruiter than the current coach, and much better at X’s and O’s/developing the players which are brought in. That’s not asking too much, is it? For one, I want him to bring in a QB (HS kid preferably) like the QB for W&M. 

Yes, see above.  Meant a history of success 

Being a TU Alum would be a bonus if that person is the best candidate for the job, however it should not be one of the criteria we use in our selection.

I really like how we say we don't trust the administration to make the hire, but very few outside of Atlanta Tiger have actually given concrete examples of who we should/could hire (myself included). I would venture to say that that Steven Eigonbrot probably has more connections and knowledge of what to look for in the current college football landscape than we do. That is why I ask if anyone has any ideas of who to hire. I will fully admit that it would take me a while to do the research to even have a somewhat credible list (if I could even produce one), led alone a preference.

I hope Rob and the guys on this year's team can close out a more manageable part of the schedule with some Ws. I am interested in hearing possible names and conversation because at the end of the day this will be a good opportunity. It is going to be bittersweet because Rob gave us some really great memories, but I think it is a great opportunity to make a hire to build onto everything that Phil Albert, Gordy Combs and Rob have done for this program.  

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Being a TU Alum would be a bonus if that person is the best candidate for the job, however it should not be one of the criteria we use in our selection.

I really like how we say we don't trust the administration to make the hire, but very few outside of Atlanta Tiger have actually given concrete examples of who we should/could hire (myself included). I would venture to say that that Steven Eigonbrot probably has more connections and knowledge of what to look for in the current college football landscape than we do. That is why I ask if anyone has any ideas of who to hire. I will fully admit that it would take me a while to do the research to even have a somewhat credible list (if I could even produce one), led alone a preference.

I hope Rob and the guys on this year's team can close out a more manageable part of the schedule with some Ws. I am interested in hearing possible names and conversation because at the end of the day this will be a good opportunity. It is going to be bittersweet because Rob gave us some really great memories, but I think it is a great opportunity to make a hire to build onto everything that Phil Albert, Gordy Combs and Rob have done for this program.  

To know who the hot assistant coaches, in either FBS (assuming some of them would be willing to take a pay cut, if that’s an issue) or FCS is probably too inside baseball for any on this board. Same for knowing which, if any, FCS HC’s might be good candidates. I agree that this is an Eigenbrot function, in conjunction with any selection committee or headhunting firm that might be used. 

I’m guessing our HC job will pay at or near 500K a year. That’s real money, and I would think makes this a pretty desirable gig. First things first-thank the current HC for his contributions and move on from him. Then, hire someone who can recruit & surround him with quality X’s & O’s assistants. 

Came across this guy's profile and thought there was enough interesting & relevant experience that he might be worth a look.  Most notably, he was OC for JMU for a few seasons within the last few years and was the HC of Miami of Ohio during the Big Ben years.  Maybe he'd like another shot at running a program as a HC?  Maybe not a very "sexy" prospect but seems to have good coaching "chops".

Shane Montgomery - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Football Coaches - University at Buffalo (ubbulls.com)

Bob Chesney, current HC of undefeated Holy Cross. 91-42 career record at his 3 different head coaching stops. Plus, he has ties to the area, having served as an assistant coach at Johns Hopkins from 2005-2009

47 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Bob Chesney, current HC of undefeated Holy Cross. 91-42 career record at his 3 different head coaching stops. Plus, he has ties to the area, having served as an assistant coach at Johns Hopkins from 2005-2009

Yes, mentioned in the other thread. He should be in the top five. Who knows which guys will reach out? A lot of Group of Five FBS coordinators, some P5 position coaches, a handful of alums.

17 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Yes, mentioned in the other thread. He should be in the top five. Who knows which guys will reach out? A lot of Group of Five FBS coordinators, some P5 position coaches, a handful of alums.

Didn't see that threat initially. Great start on a list of names.