• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

New Coach Thread

For whoever it is we decide to go after, let's hope that the proper amount of funds are appropriated for it.  Our pool for assistant coaches isn't all that great and a lead guy may be pretty hesitant to come here if he can't pay his assistants the right amount, whatever that is.  Madam President is going to have to start caring about athletics enough to open up the purse strings if she doesn't want to be angry like the rest of us in future football seasons.

43 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

For whoever it is we decide to go after, let's hope that the proper amount of funds are appropriated for it.  Our pool for assistant coaches isn't all that great and a lead guy may be pretty hesitant to come here if he can't pay his assistants the right amount, whatever that is.  Madam President is going to have to start caring about athletics enough to open up the purse strings if she doesn't want to be angry like the rest of us in future football seasons.

What’s the dollar amount of the pool ?

2 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

It will be. TL is gone and she's not going to control the budget for assistant coaches. At least I don't think she will. Steve didn't come here to eff around with the crap.

Yeah, I don’t know who told you thatbut it’s not accurate.  In 2008 we were probably at the bottom of the conferenebut not today.  We have paid coordinators over $100k and position coaches have earned $50k(some at $75+) since the 2010 season. 

I want to throw another name into my very unofficial wish-list of hypothetical head coaching candidates...

Warren Ruggiero, current OC at Wake Forest.  A former QB and 1998 grad of Delaware.  He's coached at Elon, William & Mary and Hofstra....more recently Kansas State and Bowling Green.

He's a native north Jersey guy, so in addition to his CAA roots, he knows our recruiting area and conference well.

Warren Ruggiero - Football Coach - Wake Forest University Athletics (godeacs.com)

On 10/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Chris Datres said:

to give you a clue about how little she cares about athletics, Madame President did not even show up....or any of her staff.... at the Towson Hall of Fame Banquet. This honors the best of the best of Towson Athletic.......not even there!

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I want to throw another name into my very unofficial wish-list of hypothetical head coaching candidates...

Warren Ruggiero, current OC at Wake Forest.  A former QB and 1998 grad of Delaware.  He's coached at Elon, William & Mary and Hofstra....more recently Kansas State and Bowling Green.

He's a native north Jersey guy, so in addition to his CAA roots, he knows our recruiting area and conference well.

Warren Ruggiero - Football Coach - Wake Forest University Athletics (godeacs.com)

He makes around $600,000 so he would have to take a pay cut. Most coordinators at P5 schools aren’t going to take an FCS head coaching job for that reason. 

31 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He makes around $600,000 so he would have to take a pay cut. Most coordinators at P5 schools aren’t going to take an FCS head coaching job for that reason. 

Fair enough, certainly a long-shot but not an altogether crazy idea that the guy might want a crack at a HC gig somewhere he's familiar with both geographically/competitively. 

With that being said, here's my last entry into my pro bono head coach head-hunting service for Towson....

Justin Roper, OC at Furman.  A young guy but some good experience.  Interestingly, has spent time on staffs run by two guys who have already been suggested as possible replacements for RA on this thread: Holy Cross (Bob Chesney) and Slippery Rock (Shawn Lutz).

Admittedly he might not have the strongest ties to the mid-Atlantic recruiting scene but I wouldn't necessarily say that should be a deal breaker for anyone.

Justin Roper - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks - Football Coaches - Furman University (furmanpaladins.com)

Go Tigers.