• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

102-21

You don't hire someone because they have the potential to get lucky.  I'm not sure what some on here don't understand.  RA did not recruit West.  West lived nearby and was looking for somewhere to try out.  There is no championship without West and some of the accolades that are pointed out.  I am reflecting back during RA's entire tenure and what I am saying is that without this purely lucky event this would have been a much shorter coaching career.  This is not about playing the players you have.  What does that do in terms of showing how good your coach is?  Absolutely nothing.  What coach that is alive would not have played West?   Once West graduates highlights what I am referring to.  A total collapse in recruiting after the championship year and now everyone has finally had enough.  There most likely will never be another West.

1 hour ago, omniland said:

You don't hire someone because they have the potential to get lucky.  I'm not sure what some on here don't understand.  RA did not recruit West.  West lived nearby and was looking for somewhere to try out.  There is no championship without West and some of the accolades that are pointed out.  I am reflecting back during RA's entire tenure and what I am saying is that without this purely lucky event this would have been a much shorter coaching career.  This is not about playing the players you have.  What does that do in terms of showing how good your coach is?  Absolutely nothing.  What coach that is alive would not have played West?   Once West graduates highlights what I am referring to.  A total collapse in recruiting after the championship year and now everyone has finally had enough.  There most likely will never be another West.

This!

1 hour ago, omniland said:

You could say the same thing about PK getting Neal. That didn’t work quite as well, The recruiting was the biggest problem after West but it’s revisionist history to not recognize how good that offensive line was. I don’t care if he has Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith, with no line the team is going nowhere. Shane Simpson and Darius Victor were very good backs after West, but they could never match that Oline or recruit a better QB outside of Flacco There are other issues the last few seasons that people aren’t aware of. And the decision not to play in the spring of 2021 appears to be a poor one.

Sure, it starts with misses in recruiting after the title run.

4 hours ago, mat1992 said:

There are other issues the last few seasons that people aren’t aware of.

There are always so many "secret" issues around this program. For a couch that is always coming off as 'holier than thou' (benching star players, getting flagged for sideline behavior) you'd think the program would be much more transparent.

• Like 1

I actually think this is all happening at the right time. I am not as down on Ambrose as many on this board, but the writing for me has probably been on the wall since we lost to Elon and missed the playoffs in Flacco's last year in 2019. All the COVID stuff made it hard to do anything in a fair way, and frankly I don't think we would have been prepared enough to get a good outcome out of a search process. 

I appreciate everything Ambrose has done and while you all want to equate all his success to Terrance West and say Ambrose got lucky,  that was a badass offensive line that West was running behind. Ambrose was a big part of putting that line and team together. I was in Baton Rouge when we actually physically hung with LSU for a half and that was a pretty amazing thing to watch. I also think Rob deserves some credit for getting Flacco here, although I don't think we were nearly as successful at that time as we should have been. I love having an alum as a coach, and I always appreciated that Ambrose shows his love and pride for Towson in a landscape dominated by the Ravens and Terps. 

As for the bad, I always felt like we weren't very good on special teams, had some dumb penalties, bad clock management, have been very hit or miss on QB transfers, didn't capitalize on run to the national title game, and have not developed a system where our players have developed well (although the transfer portal has thrown that out the window). Right now, this program does not have an identity at all (as evidenced with all of the transfers that aren't amount to much colletively) and we need to have one in a league that feels like it is there for the taking if we can just get back on track as a program. 

There were a lot of highs with Rob, but this program is having more bad moments than good ones recently. 

I have always been against the trigger happy fire-the-coach crowd mainly because I didn't think think AD we had in place would do a great job finding a replacement. I feel like now that we gone out and hired what I consider a quality AD I have more confidence that we are in the right space to hire new football coach. 

There is a lot of season left and I will be rooting for Rob to turn this ship around, but I think it is pretty evident a change is needed at this point.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tiger93 said:

I actually think this is all happening at the right time. I am not as down on Ambrose as many on this board, but the writing for me has probably been on the wall since we lost to Elon and missed the playoffs in Flacco's last year in 2019. All the COVID stuff made it hard to do anything in a fair way, and frankly I don't think we would have been prepared enough to get a good outcome out of a search process. 

I appreciate everything Ambrose has done and while you all want to equate all his success to Terrance West and say Ambrose got lucky,  that was a badass offensive line that West was running behind. Ambrose was a big part of putting that line and team together. I was in Baton Rouge when we actually physically hung with LSU for a half and that was a pretty amazing thing to watch. I also think Rob deserves some credit for getting Flacco here, although I don't think we were nearly as successful at that time as we should have been. I love having an alum as a coach, and I always appreciated that Ambrose shows his love and pride for Towson in a landscape dominated by the Ravens and Terps. 

As for the bad, I always felt like we weren't very good on special teams, had some dumb penalties, bad clock management, have been very hit or miss on QB transfers, didn't capitalize on run to the national title game, and have not developed a system where our players have developed well (although the transfer portal has thrown that out the window). Right now, this program does not have an identity at all (as evidenced with all of the transfers that aren't amount to much colletively) and we need to have one in a league that feels like it is there for the taking if we can just get back on track as a program. 

There were a lot of highs with Rob, but this program is having more bad moments than good ones recently. 

I have always been against the trigger happy fire-the-coach crowd mainly because I didn't think think AD we had in place would do a great job finding a replacement. I feel like now that we gone out and hired what I consider a quality AD I have more confidence that we are in the right space to hire new football coach. 

There is a lot of season left and I will be rooting for Rob to turn this ship around, but I think it is pretty evident a change is needed at this point.

I will second all of this - I've taken a long while to come around to moving on from Rob because of what we had before. He will leave the program in a better place than he found but our expectations have elevated and he has not been able to match them.

The stupid penalties, bad game management, inconsistency in transfers, blow out in recent FBS games, bad playoff L's at home - we can't have those anymore if we are going to try and build a sustainable program.

Considering the schools that have left we should be top 4 of the CAA every year or we are backsliding overall. (same goes for MBB)

9 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

I will second all of this - I've taken a long while to come around to moving on from Rob because of what we had before. He will leave the program in a better place than he found but our expectations have elevated and he has not been able to match them.

The stupid penalties, bad game management, inconsistency in transfers, blow out in recent FBS games, bad playoff L's at home - we can't have those anymore if we are going to try and build a sustainable program.

Considering the schools that have left we should be top 4 of the CAA every year or we are backsliding overall. (same goes for MBB)

Can’t be struggling to beat and lose to Nec, patriot league, what’s left of the meac and ivys like we have since 2013

1 hour ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

There are always so many "secret" issues around this program. For a couch that is always coming off as 'holier than thou' (benching star players, getting flagged for sideline behavior) you'd think the program would be much more transparent.

Some things you can control and that’s on him. Other issues are more about egos.

40 W’s & 44 L’s, since 2014, through and including last week. Terrible L’s to CCSU, URI (when they stunk) & Dartmouth. Close W’s over St. Francis, Morgan & DE State. 1 playoff appearance in this span, resulting in us being unceremoniously drubbed at home by Duquesne. Perennially weak at QB, with the exception of Flacco.  Perennial issues on D regarding lack of pass rush and inability to get off the field, particularly on 3rd and long. Recruiting now heavily reliant on transfers, with dubious success, absent a few outliers. 

This isn’t a small sample size, and the evidence in support of what I believe is inevitable at the end of the season is overwhelming 

Edited by TSU88

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Can’t be struggling to beat and lose to Nec, patriot league, what’s left of the meac and ivys like we have since 2013

I agree with this mostly and won't fully argue. However, I will have to say that to provide full context you have to acknowledge there were some accomplishments during that time including:

- Going 4-2 in that stretch against Delaware (not a great Delaware group, but a rival is a rival)
- In 2015 playing fairly close with East Carolina and beating #22 Villanova, and finishing 5-1 at home
- In 2018, beating #10 Villanova, #13 Stony Brook,  #5 Elon and making the playoffs (although losing to Duquesne was embarrassing)
- In 2019, played a decent first half against Florida and had a playoff berth in our sights before choking against Elon (that is a positive that ultimately turned into a negative)

To be fair, we were 25-31 in conference play in that span, not great. The only point in this exercise is to agree that Rob did not do great in this span, but that there were some positives. I do agree most of the time the negative results have outweighed the positives in that span. However, in my mind (and this is all opinion and preference) we did not reach a point where I thought a change was fully needed until 2019 when we couldn't get into the playoffs despite the amazing efforts of Flacco. I think there are definitely arguments that we didn't have the right AD in place to make that hire (which is another issue altogether), and that COVID circumstances didn't make it the best time to search for a coach. 

I am not here to make excuses, I just think we need to acknowledge facts on all ends of things. I do agree that this program has decayed rapidly the last three years. 

• Like 2