• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Thoughts on the rest of the season

We all know where this is headed, but unless there are more disciplinary actions (could be I guess), then play the best players on the field. Or at least shake things up. We've seen the same starting 11 on defense all four games save for Jamal Gay starting at OLB/Bandit. He was rotating with Daniel Raymond. Same starting corners until Shafeek Smith was pulled when he allowed a TD and couldn't make the tackle over the middle. So. Illinois transfer Dorian Davis played the rest of the way. 

You just can't have an O-line that is a work-in-progress going into the fifth game of the season. There wasn't much they could do with four starters leaving, but should not have added a left tackle transfer that is now on the right side and is probably not going to get on the field this season. You can't whiff on one of the most important positions on offense. Not saying that Dan Volpe is bad. He's going to be a really good one (hopefully for TU), but in a huge season, you don't want to start a true freshman LT.

Piggy was not good yesterday, but for the life of me, I can't understand why we don't use RPO with him more. We did some against Morgan State two weeks ago and that was it. We've run RPO more with 6-4 Scott Smith than we have with 5-10 Piggy. At least that's what appears and all I remember in camp was that Smith was the gunslinger in the spring and summer. Why are we trying to run that type of offense with him? He's not Ryan Stover and while he can run some, if he's not a pocket passer, the backup should be Zach Jackson or Nathan Kent, who are dual-threat QBs.

Hunter gives it his all and Matthews appears to be banged up. But no Sabias Folley and no Curtis Murray yesterday. Not saying they are stars, but mind-boggling. You can say the first four games have been beyond confusing to me. If you are going to go out, try and do some different things.

Now what didn't make sense is that we have DK James, Isaiah Perkins, Darian Street and others who couldn't seem to get open yesterday in the first half. They did in the second half as maybe they were playing softer with a big lead or we just started takings shots downfield and James was blowing by everyone. Unfortunately, Piggy was overthrowing guys a lot and didn't show a lot of touch. Not saying anybody on the bench is better, but when you're down 3 TDs, there's no reason why you don't get another QB in there.

I hate to see a staff give up but when we scored to make it 31-13 or whatever it was and then kicked the XP late in the third quarter, why do you not go for 2 there? You make it 31-15, then 31-23 and then try and tie it. Were we not going to score three straight TDs with three straight two-point conversions and hold them to nothing? Of course not, but at least you have to make an effort to show the team we're still trying.

I assume there are only going to be maybe a few changes here and there the rest of the way or at least until the bye. It's not going to be enough to compete against Delaware and Elon on the road. That's a shame because while some people just want to see us get blown out every game, I think there was enough talent to be competitive. But apparently, it's not just talent that gets you places.

Here's my thought on the rest of the season: Everyone on this board -- those who just read the comments as well as those who contribute them -- email the new AD to register your displeasure. And cc the school president.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Here's my thought on the rest of the season: Everyone on this board -- those who just read the comments as well as those who contribute them -- email the new AD to register your displeasure. And cc the school president.

It’s not necessary but go ahead.

I know everyone wants the coach gone and there’s basically no chance of making the playoffs. There’s nothing wrong with pulling for the team as a fan because wins will be tough to come by the rest of the way.

I’m still going to cover this team while pointing out the bad and the occasional good. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Thank you for your dedication you are the best

I appreciate it and those who have been through the ups and downs of this program. You see the potential that this place could become much bigger some day with a more competitive program. I thought we had probably close to 5,000 students between the stands and the parking lots (some say more). There are so many more kids on campus and over 10,000 with a mile radius. No reason not to fill the student section in the future.

Now, we have to get the alums back on board and the rest will follow (hopefully).

• Like 1

I am kind of wishing I did not promise to meet a friend of mine at the Blue Chickens game this weekend.  Not looking forward to going to watch getting our "arses" kicked.  Different sport of course but I had enough of that while going to watch us play Drexel under PK. 

I follow the board to get insight on our teams as I remain an avid supporter.  I refuse to buy into Flosports so I usually cannot watch any of our games so my only knowledge of players on any of our teams is strictly from what I get on this board.  For as long as I have been on this board this maybe the first time where there is overwhelming agreement on something and it seems like almost everyone thinks that Rob has to go.  His quotes post games this year almost seem like even he knows he is a lame duck.  If Rob mentions "off the field issues this week" he has to expound on them.  He can't drop that nugget and walk away.  Seems like there is no respectable leadership whether it be from the coaches or players when "off the field issues" start to get out of hand whatever they were.  I know we are not like other schools that can eat buyouts of coaches and just let him go now, but if he knows and the AD knows, the player know and the fans know, can't we at least right now announce that this is Rob's last year so we can start moving forward now?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

I am kind of wishing I did not promise to meet a friend of mine at the Blue Chickens game this weekend.  Not looking forward to going to watch getting our "arses" kicked.  Different sport of course but I had enough of that while going to watch us play Drexel under PK. 

I follow the board to get insight on our teams as I remain an avid supporter.  I refuse to buy into Flosports so I usually cannot watch any of our games so my only knowledge of players on any of our teams is strictly from what I get on this board.  For as long as I have been on this board this maybe the first time where there is overwhelming agreement on something and it seems like almost everyone thinks that Rob has to go.  His quotes post games this year almost seem like even he knows he is a lame duck.  If Rob mentions "off the field issues this week" he has to expound on them.  He can't drop that nugget and walk away.  Seems like there is no respectable leadership whether it be from the coaches or players when "off the field issues" start to get out of hand whatever they were.  I know we are not like other schools that can eat buyouts of coaches and just let him go now, but if he knows and the AD knows, the player know and the fans know, can't we at least right now announce that this is Rob's last year so we can start moving forward now?

At this point we aren’t eating a buy out. His contract is up at the end of the season. Paying him the rest of the year to not coach Vs paying him to “coach” currently, what’s the difference??

Then he should not mention it in his post game.  From my knowledge no one knew about it.  Was there a mention of anything happening on this board?  Not that this board knows everything but there have been whispers of things happening in the past.  Did anyone in the press conference press him on it?

• Like 2