• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First scrimmage update

1 hour ago, tu_fan said:

Good for Skerry.  He's right.  We should invest heavily in hoops between TV rights, attendance, the $ associated with making the tournament, etc., this is the sport that needs to be prioritized within the university.  While it is probably not popular wihtin this board, I'd be fine with investing less in football & dropping baseball if it meant creating a sustainable hoops program.  I recall PK stating how underfunded the program was, making it nearly impossible for any coach to succeed.  I assume we invest more these days, but am not sure.  I think Skerry should have a ton of leverage- we were literally the worst D1 basketball program in the country for years (how many losing seasons in a row did we have?  shitty APR rates, scant attendance) and we ended the year close to top 50/60 in Net rankings.  

The question of how much leverage Skerry has is an interesting one. On the one hand, he’s resurrected the program, graduates kids, and is arguably coming off his most successful season. OTOH is the elephant 🐘 in the room-his dismal conference tournament record. I dunno 🤷‍♂️ 

I do find it interesting that Skerry seems to be playing chess ♟ not checkers right now. By that I think he’s said to himself: (1) I’ve got a new AD; (2) I’m coming off a very successful season; and (3) football stinks right now. So, (4) now’s the time to play my cards and try and get more $ pumped into the program and try & get attendance boosted. I agree with him that we can’t afford to be left in the dust when it comes to NIL. These are certainly interesting times for the program 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I think he just wants the school to invest in the basketball program because yes, basketball can make more money than football and sure football is going to get more people because it's outdoors, tailgating, better weather, etc. Was hoping maybe we try something at the Towson Center before hoops games. Kind of a mini-tailgate. Kind of tough to to do that during mid-weeks games, but maybe just on weekends.

Do we think that winning the CAA Tournament is all of a sudden going to be a magic elixir for all the fans to come to SECU? I thought so 32 years ago and then 31 years ago and attendance didn't go up much despite winning two tournament titles and going to two straight NCAA trnys. Now there wasn't the internet, social media, etc. There's no excuse not to market the shit out of this basketball team and I think it's a solid move to shoot for the moon and try and get a sellout against Albany. It's not likely to happen so maybe we 3,500 instead of 2,000? Why could we not get 1,000 students in there or more? Let them see the banner ceremony. Maybe pick a few students and have them help raise the banner.

Whining from a coach who has won nothing in over a decade is incredible. Talk about ROI.....not Towson Hoops1

1 hour ago, tu_fan said:

Good for Skerry.  He's right.  We should invest heavily in hoops between TV rights, attendance, the $ associated with making the tournament, etc., this is the sport that needs to be prioritized within the university.  While it is probably not popular wihtin this board, I'd be fine with investing less in football & dropping baseball if it meant creating a sustainable hoops program.  I recall PK stating how underfunded the program was, making it nearly impossible for any coach to succeed.  I assume we invest more these days, but am not sure.  I think Skerry should have a ton of leverage- we were literally the worst D1 basketball program in the country for years (how many losing seasons in a row did we have?  shitty APR rates, scant attendance) and we ended the year close to top 50/60 in Net rankings.  

Why is  every other College and University (at every level) investing heavily in Football?  

11 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Whining from a coach who has won nothing in over a decade is incredible. Talk about ROI.....not Towson Hoops1

And the hoops budget is at the top of the CAA….

Nervous about these little injuries but hope they are good to go by November. 
Basketball needs to win in March. Plain and simple.  He needs to win and make the tournament. Until then he shouldn’t complain but students need to show up Atleast for the first game   Caa programs don’t draw students to games (sans Uncw hoops) 

Ncaa tournament brings more notoriety than fcs football and lacrosse could ever dream of. So yes basketball should be focal point   

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

is that true or is that sarcastic. I really do not know?

From 2018-2019 from mid major madness.. not sure it is accurate at all. Would assume we jumped a bit higher on the list since then. It’s hard data to find since it’s mid major and also some of the schools are private or semi private and don’t release data.

CC419224-7ABD-4CC6-BAD9-BC5E4DC5C09C.jpeg

20 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

From 2018-2019 from mid major madness.. not sure it is accurate at all. Would assume we jumped a bit higher on the list since then. It’s hard data to find since it’s mid major and also some of the schools are private or semi private and don’t release data.

CC419224-7ABD-4CC6-BAD9-BC5E4DC5C09C.jpeg

More math 😆

Well, this puts us near the bottom, at least as of a few years ago. Maybe Skerry has got a case. 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

More math 😆

Well, this puts us near the bottom, at least as of a few years ago. Maybe Skerry has got a case. 

Again take that with a grain of salt.  Charleston seems way to low. But what do 4 of the top 5 spenders have in common??

25 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Again take that with a grain of salt.  Charleston seems way to low. But what do 4 of the top 5 spenders have in common??

Um, no football programs?🤔

I still believe a good football & basketball program can co-exist. As bad as our football team is, I can’t imagine fall without it. I’m not for moving down a level, or for junking football entirely. I’m for getting a new coach and rebuilding. Anyway, I digress. 

• Like 1