• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First scrimmage update

Skerryball needs to make a significant jump in the results to gain any leverage into getting what he wants. Yes the program has come quite a way from the moribund hole it used to be in, but neither any statement wins or ncaa tourney appearances to justify anything. Just a decent/average program over the years which happens to come up repeatedly short in big moments..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tualum said:

Skerryball needs to make a significant jump in the results to gain any leverage into getting what he wants. Yes the program has come quite a way from the moribund hole it used to be in, but neither any statement wins or ncaa tourney appearances to justify anything. Just a decent/average program over the years which happens to come up repeatedly short in big moments..

But we should take a look at funding since he started to where we are now. Because if the funding has stayed consistent (not grown) over the past decade while he has brought us up from the ruins, I think its a fair point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tualum said:

This could be a crossroads season. After this year, Holden, Sylla, Russell & Timberlake are definitely gone, & CT & Gibson could leave as well. With all these departures looming, this year has a now or never feel to it. I think we’re all cautiously optimistic about this coming season, but if last season taught us anything, it’s that things can change wildly from year-to-year, with the transfer portal. The “experts” pegged us as cellar dwellers last season. The point being that while most “experts” have us near or at the top of the conference this season, for all we know there are other teams in the conference who are radically improved from last season.

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Um, no football programs?🤔

I still believe a good football & basketball program can co-exist. As bad as our football team is, I can’t imagine fall without it. I’m not for moving down a level, or for junking football entirely. I’m for getting a new coach and rebuilding. Anyway, I digress. 

That is correct. Now NE has hockey which is likely not as costly as football but still expensive. 

Agree, just pointing out that the caa hoops schools are just that. (From time to time Delaware breaks through but it’s tough) but keeping a coach a few years past their expiration date due to not having funds to do so is exasperated in a situation like that. Hoops or football or any team for that fact. 

We all hope Steve gives out smart extensions when warranted 

13 minutes ago, tualum said:

Yup. We need to breakthrough. 19 win seasons are great for some on here (I was one of them a few years ago, early in the skerry era) but times have changed. It is beyond time to win this thing. Every other caa team has played in the championship game in the PS era except us.  NCAA OR BUST!

On 10/9/2022 at 8:59 AM, tu_fan said:

Good for Skerry.  He's right.  We should invest heavily in hoops between TV rights, attendance, the $ associated with making the tournament, etc., this is the sport that needs to be prioritized within the university.  While it is probably not popular wihtin this board, I'd be fine with investing less in football & dropping baseball if it meant creating a sustainable hoops program.  I recall PK stating how underfunded the program was, making it nearly impossible for any coach to succeed.  I assume we invest more these days, but am not sure.  I think Skerry should have a ton of leverage- we were literally the worst D1 basketball program in the country for years (how many losing seasons in a row did we have?  shitty APR rates, scant attendance) and we ended the year close to top 50/60 in Net rankings.  

Are you kidding....A coach who has won NOTHING....NOTHING, whining about not getting the respect he is due. Let him move on. I really have never gotten past the idea that Skerry gets a pass after failing every year in the tournament, which (and I know that most of you will disagree) is the only way Towson will get the "return on investment". Surprised his right arm does not hurt from patting himself on the back.