• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

#12 W&M routs Football 44-24

This was brutal. Only thing I could say is the "definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results." More about defense than the offense. Seems like QB situation is due to injuries and lack of faith in a four-string QB. But sure, Piggy is all over the place with his throws and if not for his running, we probably get shut out. That's it. Now to brief comments

Opening Comment

"That team is going to make a run in the playoffs. We need to play better, especially in the first half."

On changing QB at the half

"I considered it earlier than that. Our best possible chance to win? No, that wasn't a good move and the second half pretty much prove it. "

On injuries at QB

"Tyler (Johnston out with ACL) is doing his best to coach, Scott (Smith) is not healthy and cannot play, Tyrell is getting better every week. Nate (Kent) is still far behind. Anytime you get into your fourth (QB), that's usually not the best..not saying he's not going to be a really good QB the rest of his career, but he has a lot of work to do."

On fumbles (five but one lost)

"It wasn't good enough. Not like we didn't work on it the last two weeks. (Robert) Schwob caught a ball inside the 10 and unlike last time against Elon, he held on to the ball with both hands. He learned from his mistake and grew. I wished DK (James) would do the same. Add another 7 points on the board. Tough to lose the ball at the one yard line."

On fake field goal in first half that went for a TD

"It was not pleasing. What I like the most, that after giving up 300 yards of offense in the first half by our defense, that was a real good conversation about pride and representing the university. There was a conversation about fighting back and not quit. Outside of one play in the second half, that's some of the best football we've played so far. I'd like to see it for four quarters. One day we're going to be smart enough and confident enough to start fast. It's the first time I've seen this group show it. It's nice to see."

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

This was brutal. Only thing I could say is the "definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results." More about defense than the offense. Seems like QB situation is due to injuries and lack of faith in a four-string QB. But sure, Piggy is all over the place with his throws and if not for his running, we probably get shut out. That's it. Now to brief comments

Opening Comment

"That team is going to make a run in the playoffs. We need to play better, especially in the first half."

On changing QB at the half

"I considered it earlier than that. Our best possible chance to win? No, that wasn't a good move and the second half pretty much prove it. "

On injuries at QB

"Tyler (Johnston out with ACL) is doing his best to coach, Scott (Smith) is not healthy and cannot play, Tyrell is getting better every week. Nate (Kent) is still far behind. Anytime you get into your fourth (QB), that's usually not the best..not saying he's not going to be a really good QB the rest of his career, but he has a lot of work to do."

On fumbles (five but one lost)

"It wasn't good enough. Not like we didn't work on it the last two weeks. (Robert) Schwob caught a ball inside the 10 and unlike last time against Elon, he held on to the ball with both hands. He learned from his mistake and grew. I wished DK (James) would do the same. Add another 7 points on the board. Tough to lose the ball at the one yard line."

On fake field goal in first half that went for a TD

"It was not pleasing. What I like the most, that after giving up 300 yards of offense in the first half by our defense, that was a real good conversation about pride and representing the university. There was a conversation about fighting back and not quit. Outside of one play in the second half, that's some of the best football we've played so far. I'd like to see it for four quarters. One day we're going to be smart enough and confident enough to start fast. It's the first time I've seen this group show it. It's nice to see."

Same crap answers from him every week. “We had a conversation about pride” blah, blah, blah. “One of these games we’re going to put it all together” blah, blah, blah. “These guys fight & don’t quit” blah, blah, blah. But the best one is “we need to play better.” Really? Boy that’s a revelation. Thanks Knute Ambrose. So sick of this snake oil salesman. Please go away 

• Like 1

I get it that we don’t really have anyone else but Piggy at this point, however this is really a marvel of division 1 football to field a team (2 years in a row now) that does not run the triple option, to be this unable to complete a 10+ yard pass without any type of consistency.  RA is delusional in that if we have more penalties or TFL against us than what happened yesterday, drives that led to scores end.  100% certainty we punt a lot more.  No ability to overcome a negative play because we must have one of the worst passing games in the country.  I can’t say I’ve seen anything like it.  QB is everything.  Every team we face has a better passing game without exception.  How is it possible to suck this bad at passing two years in a row. 

I heard Rob was tailgating during the bye week instead of working on the passing game. It’s still not out of the realm of possibility he gets a contract extension with this administration

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I heard Rob was tailgating during the bye week instead of working on the passing game. It’s still not out of the realm of possibility he gets a contract extension with this administration

I agree. Granted, I’m probably over paranoid, but until the ink is dry on his pink slip, I’m going to have nagging doubts. Remember, the last AD wanted to can him, & you see who won that power struggle. I get it; new AD….but how do any of us really know what Schatzel is thinking, and how much autonomy the new A.D. truly has. For all we know, Schatzel is more concerned with how many community service hours the players do, or some other metrics wholly unrelated to W’s & L’s 

• Like 1

Yes.  No doubt this President could prove to be incompetent making men’s division 1 basketball and football decisions.  These sports take tremendous skill and competence to compete in.  Alabama would be nothing without its football team.  Towson has no ability to be on any stage without men’s football and/or basketball.  Is she satisfied being a lack luster regional state school that no one really knows?  Perhaps.  It is impossible to break into the academic elite of the Ivy or a few others.  The only way you can gain any notoriety is through men’s football and/or basketball.  No exception.  It is what the average person knows that equals reputation, not gurus and geeks that follow this stuff and not the pay for play US News and World Report rankings.  The average person knows Alabama for one thing and one thing only regardless of what the President of Alabama thinks.  Saban is worth his weight in gold to that University.  She is guilty until proven innocent and may live in a yes man academic advisor bubble.  Hard to believe that RA will get an extension.  I just cannot imagine. 

As a side note, perhaps Matt can comment.  For Athens, who I think is the only high school QB RA has ever landed, should we even give credit to RA?  Or was this a left over Combs recruit where RA honored the scholarship offer?  I don’t know the background but I believe Athens came from the same high school as Schaefer and I believe both were All Met.  If you take Athens away, in 14 seasons, that would give RA not one high school QB that was worthy of Division 1 mention.  A startling statistic.

32 minutes ago, omniland said:

Yes.  No doubt this President could prove to be incompetent making men’s division 1 basketball and football decisions.  These sports take tremendous skill and competence to compete in.  Alabama would be nothing without its football team.  Towson has no ability to be on any stage without men’s football and/or basketball.  Is she satisfied being a lack luster regional state school that no one really knows?  Perhaps.  It is impossible to break into the academic elite of the Ivy or a few others.  The only way you can gain any notoriety is through men’s football and/or basketball.  No exception.  It is what the average person knows that equals reputation, not gurus and geeks that follow this stuff and not the pay for play US News and World Report rankings.  The average person knows Alabama for one thing and one thing only regardless of what the President of Alabama thinks.  Saban is worth his weight in gold to that University.  She is guilty until proven innocent and may live in a yes man academic advisor bubble.  Hard to believe that RA will get an extension.  I just cannot imagine. 

As a side note, perhaps Matt can comment.  For Athens, who I think is the only high school QB RA has ever landed, should we even give credit to RA?  Or was this a left over Combs recruit where RA honored the scholarship offer?  I don’t know the background but I believe Athens came from the same high school as Schaefer and I believe both were All Met.  If you take Athens away, in 14 seasons, that would give RA not one high school QB that was worthy of Division 1 mention.  A startling statistic.

Other than Flacco, his record in terms of transfer QB’s isn’t much better. Olsen (never played); Pass (never played); Mahalik (played a few games before injuries ended his career. Not sure he was that good, irrespective of the injuries); Pigrome (good runner, below average passer, at best). Am I forgetting anyone? 

His ineptitude when it comes to QB’s is a shocking indictment of his tenure.