• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to St. Joe's 78-76 in exhibition play

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/saint-josephs-exhibition-/boxscore/25704

No real recap here. Did watch the game and was disappointed with the first half, even though Towson was up by six. Thought the play was very selfish. Defensively, we didn't play that well, but the Hawks just missed open shots.

In the second half, the defense was dreadful and St. Joe's started making shots from everywhere. We got edged on the boards by just one 31-30, but it felt like 10. We allowed 15 offensive rebounds. Some of that was due to foul trouble for Charles Thompson, who had just five rebounds and four points in 19 minutes. He and Sekou Sylla also both went 0-for-2 from the line down the stretch. Jason Gibson started with Nygal Russell at small forward and Nicolas Timberlake at the 2. Nick had 21 points, five rebounds but shot just 6-of-15 from the field as he struggled in the second half to finish near the rim. The same could be said about Russel, Thompson and Sylla as PS has consistently mentioned us having issues finishing in the so-called red-zone (around five feet or less). 

But what really hurt us was their size and length. CT is 6-7, 253 with a 7-0 wingspan, but he still had issues against Eijke Obinna (6-10, 245) and Rasheer Fleming (6-9, 220). They also had a 7-footer in Charles Coleman who played 12 minutes but we decided to use 6-7 Chris Biekeu. Chase Paar did not play and I've mentioned that he's been dinged up a lot. So has Radhir Hicks, who struggled in 23 minutes with four points just one assist and one turnover. He struggled defensively against their guards and that's why he's there but maybe lack of practice time caught up with him.

Not a great game for a bulked up Jason Gibson with 9 points but just 3 of 8 from 3pt and 3 of 9 from the field. Russell had six but was just 2 of 8. Towson shot 35.3% from the field and 10-of-27 (37%) from beyond the arc. Made 18 of 24 from the line. Cam had 25 points, 12 rebs, 4 assists an 3 turnovers in 37 minutes (8-20 FT, 2-6 3pt). Thought he took some questionable shots in the first half but overall, he gave us the best chance to win running the offense. Fouled out with 31 secs left on a horrendous call as he passed to Russell in the corner. Not sure if he would have made the shot down 1 but the defense just flopped about 2 secs after Cam dished the ball. Either way, it shouldn't have been that close. The Hawks are a young team picked 12th in the A-10.

Their length bothered us and while we won't see many guys 6-10 or taller in the CAA, seems like we are missing that 6-8ish guy like Juwan Gray to help us defend the perimeter and some bigs. Obviously, the fouling was a major issue in the first half as Charles and Cam fouled out an Sylla had four fouls in 15 minutes. His defense is a bit of an issue to be nice. Ryan Conway played just six minutes and was 0-for-2 from the field and 0-for-1 from beyond the arc. Guessing he won't be part of the rotation early in the season.

Rotation probably is Sylla, Hicks and Biekeu or Paar. I think we go eight until Conway can play better on the defensive end. Christian May played just two minutes so he probably won't play much early on.

In the end, it doesn't count and that's probably a good thing.  I was disappointed with the defensive rebounding effort in the 2nd half and also with the lack of finishing ability in the lane.  Thompson has been here for 4 years and he still can't seem to take it strong at the basket, instead fading from contact.  Timberlake was also doing that in the 2nd half on his takes to the basket.  Yes, you have to avoid charges but more often than not, we're beating defenders to that spot and not powering through it.  The free throw misses down the stretch were unnerving as well.  On the positive side, the ball movement was really good and we had a number of open looks, especially in the first half.  And since it was an exhibition, Pat was running some rotations, especially late, that I don't think he'd run in a regular season game.  I can't see Hicks getting that many meaningful minutes in a tight ballgame.  He got them today and he struggled with it.  Russell made a 3 but I wouldn't want him taking that shot all that much.  I'd rather he slash and look for opportunities in the lane.  Until that BS charge call on Holden with 30 seconds left, Russell was on his way to the lane for a potential something before the whistle sounded.  Sylla is another that has potential to be assertive but there is a jump involved from D2 to D1 and to me, he showed that he has a couple rungs to go to get there.  I was disappointed we didn't see more of Conway today.  I have a feeling that if this were a regular season game, this wouldn't have been the result.

I was also disappointed with the final sequence.  Timberlake, as a senior, has to recognize that a defender up on him like that means he has to go to the basket, especially in a 2-point game.  He didn't need to hoist up a desperation shot there as he still had plenty of time to pass it off or drive.

55 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

In the end, it doesn't count and that's probably a good thing.  I was disappointed with the defensive rebounding effort in the 2nd half and also with the lack of finishing ability in the lane.  Thompson has been here for 4 years and he still can't seem to take it strong at the basket, instead fading from contact.  Timberlake was also doing that in the 2nd half on his takes to the basket.  Yes, you have to avoid charges but more often than not, we're beating defenders to that spot and not powering through it.  The free throw misses down the stretch were unnerving as well.  On the positive side, the ball movement was really good and we had a number of open looks, especially in the first half.  And since it was an exhibition, Pat was running some rotations, especially late, that I don't think he'd run in a regular season game.  I can't see Hicks getting that many meaningful minutes in a tight ballgame.  He got them today and he struggled with it.  Russell made a 3 but I wouldn't want him taking that shot all that much.  I'd rather he slash and look for opportunities in the lane.  Until that BS charge call on Holden with 30 seconds left, Russell was on his way to the lane for a potential something before the whistle sounded.  Sylla is another that has potential to be assertive but there is a jump involved from D2 to D1 and to me, he showed that he has a couple rungs to go to get there.  I was disappointed we didn't see more of Conway today.  I have a feeling that if this were a regular season game, this wouldn't have been the result.

I was also disappointed with the final sequence.  Timberlake, as a senior, has to recognize that a defender up on him like that means he has to go to the basket, especially in a 2-point game.  He didn't need to hoist up a desperation shot there as he still had plenty of time to pass it off or drive.

I thought Timberlake might have been searching for a foul and was hit, but I'm not going for a two at the end of an exhibition game. I'm going for 3. F the overtime. 

57 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I think Hicks will play at least 20 minutes and might be in at the end of games if we're up due to his defense. He's our best or second-best defender after Russell. JG always struggles against quicker guards. I hate to judge Hicks too much because he missed a couple of weeks of practice due to injury. I do want to see Conway on the floor late in games on the offensive end. Maybe you go offense/defense with him and Hicks though it would have been nice to see him get more run today. I see the rotation as:

Timberlake 30+

Holden 35+

Thompson 30+

Gibson 25-30

Russell 20+

Hicks 15+

Sylla 10-15

Biekeu/Parr 10+

Conway 5

47 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I think I heard Joe Lunatic say on the broadcast that they were picked 12th in the A-10

Yes, young team. They do have some talented guards and a lot of size, but if this was a game that counted, it would be a bad loss.

• Like 1

I'm concerned that Conway is that far down the depth chart - I was hoping he would be an instant contributor.  Also, why is Gibson bulking up?  He's there for playmaking and shooting, he does not need to be a power lifter and my concern is the bulk will mess up his shot.  Similarly with Hicks - we don't need everyone to be an adonis on this team....