• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to St. Joe's 78-76 in exhibition play

1 hour ago, tu_fan said:

I'm concerned that Conway is that far down the depth chart - I was hoping he would be an instant contributor.  Also, why is Gibson bulking up?  He's there for playmaking and shooting, he does not need to be a power lifter and my concern is the bulk will mess up his shot.  Similarly with Hicks - we don't need everyone to be an adonis on this team....

I think there’s a difference between being 6-1 170 and 188. He’s not massive, just bigger because it’s the first time he had legit off-season after back issues and Covid. My hope is that it will help him score with contact in the rare times that he drives and it should help get through screens on D. Everyone goes to the weight room to get stronger. Look at CofC.

Just watched the replay. Hawks were much larger and more athletic than we are.
Too many dumb fouls and awful defensive rebounding. 32 being a non contributor didn’t help. We hopefully won’t play too many teams with that many bigs. Charles struggles on both ends against larger 5s. 
some of the new guys looked a bit lost, as they normally do. Probably good that we played a close game and got punched in the mouth. Maybe it’ll wake them up. Any reason Coleman and paar didn’t get any minutes??

17 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Just watched the replay. Hawks were much larger and more athletic than we are.
Too many dumb fouls and awful defensive rebounding. 32 being a non contributor didn’t help. We hopefully won’t play too many teams with that many bigs. Charles struggles on both ends against larger 5s. 
some of the new guys looked a bit lost, as they normally do. Probably good that we played a close game and got punched in the mouth. Maybe it’ll wake them up. Any reason Coleman and paar didn’t get any minutes??

Paar has been hurt and I assume Bieku is going to be backup five. Coleman didn’t play and May played just two minutes. We played this game as if it were a real game and I assume in the La Salle closed scrimmage that everyone got a decent shot at playing because they played five quarters. Both those guys are 6-6ish so I don’t think it would have been pretty. May is probably a tweener right now. Needs to bulk up to play the four and get a better handle to be a wing. I think he can help some against the press because he’s athletic.

10 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Conway is supposedly a great shooter.  I’m sure he will be in the mix more once we start Nov 7th.  
We are gonna be fine. 

No one will remember yesterday’s “exhibition game” if we have a strong showing a week from tomorrow night 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Conway is supposedly a great shooter.  I’m sure he will be in the mix more once we start Nov 7th.  
We are gonna be fine. 

Not sure he will. Playing six minutes in an ex. game was not a good sign and you do have to be more than just a shooter to play D1. I think he'll be in the mix in conference play once he figures out how to defend and what a good shot is.

• Like 1

As I see it, it's a question of remove and replace: Nolan, Gray and Rizzuto are out. Can Russell, Sylla, Conway, a more experienced Coleman + May fill those shoes. Clearly Nolan will be hardest to sub for.. It's expected that the remaining 7 experienced players have the skills and know-how to glue this whole thing together.. 

Hoping for a blowout confidence-building opener, with sharp passing, lock down D, and a rain of treys..

VERY excited after 8 months of jockeying, wondering and waiting to see what we've got! Also hoping for a raucous crowd. 

• Thanks 1