• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Defense, Hunter lift Football over Villanova 27-3

16 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The last AD wanted to get rid of Ambrose. I know this for a fact. 

Look, I take a backseat to no one in my hope that we have a new coach next season, but, at least for one day, let’s give credit where credit’s due-we blew out a decent team today. 

They did. Very unexpected considering everything going on. But it seems like we always do this late in the season. Finishing strong is great but September-October matter too.

No reason that a new coach shouldn’t have this team in top 20 of fcs (lol) in 2 years. 

Comments after the game

Opening statement

"I normally compliment the other team. they are very good and historic. I could not....(gets emotional). I could not be more proud of them. This was an insane week (flu bug going around the team, didn't have enough players to practice). The amount of adversity that this team faced in one week was impressive. Truth be told, Thursday afternoon, I couldn't tell you who was going to be in the lineup to start. We practiced our face off with whoever is left. We found a way to beat a team that was picked first or second in this league. They are historically good. Not only did we beat them. We beat them handily. That says a lot about the players in the locker room. A lot about the coaches. I have great respect for their kids, but today was our day. Well-earned."

On defense 

"I said earlier this week that the only way we beat this team after evaluating film, the only way to beat them.... they run for 200 yards every week and pass for 200, their defense is always good. We needed to run the ball to keep the about of their hands. We needed to not give up the big play and stop the run and play complete in three phases to get a big win in this league. Kids answered the ball."

"Better on third down defensively. Bend don't break. Missed three field goals and fumbled the ball going in. This game could have been out of hand. Finish this out with a run."

Robert Topss

"Coach Ambrose said we have to play hard. We get in trouble when teams outempo us. Guys are not ready. Not lined up right. We focused on lining up and being sound. Watching film all week."

Bangda

"This week, we focused on everyone doing their job and starting fast. That was the emphasis. Everyone did their job. We battled through injuries and sickness."

Topps

"We know what we have in that locker room. When somebody goes down, it's next man up."

Topps on adjustments defensively

"This week we took a look at ourselves in the mirror. Limit the big plays. That was a main big objective."

Ambrose On arguing with Piggy on that fourth down 

"The third down call was not my favorite. We didn't execute it well. Fourth and one and the conversation in my head was whether to take the points or put it on their back. After we didn't get it on third down, I decided to kick the field goal. He came to me and asked me not to. We talked about what to run and why. I agreed. I had a choice earlier in the game on our 20 and both times, I decided to trust the kids. If we would have told me that in Week 2, I would have said sit on the bench. This group has worked their face off together o find a way. He earned my respect and trust. He made the call and I agreed with it. We changed the call on the field and made the first down."

On Piggy

"He did what he needed to. We could have thrown for 350 yards and the clock would have stopped. We ran them out of the game with a physicality with a bunch of guys we put together in August. They are tough. Midway through the second quarter, they didn't want any part of us anymore. We beat them up. We were more physical. Very proud of our kids."

On Bangda's injury.

"Had a stinger. The goal was to do my job and that was to run downhill. When I do that, there's nobody in the country that can stop us as an offense. It creates explosive plays for everyone else on the field."

On what he said to Vaughn after third missed field goal

"If you, don't talk crap during the game. You talk after you beat their butt. You stay focused on the job at hand. If are a young athlete who likes to talk and you talk when you screw up, you look like a fool. He was talking trash to the opposing team after he missed a FG. He's going to miss field goals and we have to respond. He's been killing it the last month and a half. Missed a few today. There will never a Towson football player who will talk trash during a football game, especially after they screw up. It's childish, it's immature and unacceptable. We need to do better. We had a conversation and after the game. It's a good learning moment."

On Hunter

"You would think at some point they would stop (kicking to him). I'm putting the league on notice, I do not know how he's not the number one returner in this league. He's been second and third team. It's ridiculous. He's best in the league. If the league is not going to show it, let the country show it because he's going to be an All-American. Mat, for you and some of your breathren, who thought I was an idiot for recruiting a five-foot-nothing, 150-pound guy. They grow up, they get bigger and faster. They are awesome. He might be the greatest special teams player since David Meggett. Pretty damn company."

It's ok to compliment the team and still want a change. Two straight wins is two straight wins in late October or early September. Of course, it's too late. These kids give it their all and yes, it's impossible to put a team together in August. There are all certain reasons why, but either way, if they added a stronger QB the last two seasons, we wouldn't be talking change. Piggy did his job today despite a few misfires and the defense was as close to perfect as they'll ever be. It also shows we've had the talent on defense and for whatever reason, they were getting destroyed in just about every game.

BTW, considering what I heard about the flu bug and who was playing at corner this week in practice, it makes what they did even more impressive today.

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:Mat, for you and some of your breathren, who thought I was an idiot for recruiting a five-foot-nothing, 150-pound guy. They grow up, they get bigger and faster. They are awesome. He might be the greatest special teams player since David Meggett. Pretty damn company."

Lol Rob giving a shoutout to his critics here on the forum