• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB edges Albany 67-62 in a sluggish opener

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/ualbany/boxscore/23607

In a game where first-team All-Conference players Nicolas Timberlake and Cam Holden went a combined 2-for-17 from the field, Towson found a way to beat Albany 67-62 at home on Monday night before 3,242 in their season opener. Albany pushed the Tigers to the limit in the second half, after getting down by as much as 15 in the first half. The Great Danes took the lead in the second half but Towson was able to close it out at the line.

Towson had 13 turnovers, but eight in the second half. They made 43% from the field and just 2-of-12 from beyond the arc. Sekou Sylla and Nygal Russell scored the game's first 15 points. Sylla, the D2 Player of the Year, led the Tigers with 19 points

More later from the press conference...

Before everyone comments, I'll say and would hope that the Big 3 of Thompson, Timberlake and Holden don't play that poorly at the same time again, or Towson won't win many games that way. The good news was that Sylla was as advertised. Very much like John Davis. Limited athletically and struggles at times on defense. He got everything in the paint. Russell is our best wing defender. Hit some big threes in the first half and then missed open shots in the second half.  They were the bright spot, but Gibson and Timberlake have to carry the team from the perimeter. For whatever reason, they got very few good looks in the second half and part of that was Cam Holden getting into foul trouble. When he's on the bench, the ball does not move as well.

Turnovers in the second half didn't help.

Ugly game. Awful effort, or we just suck?  A game like this should not happen. We had another stinker against saint joes last week. Maybe this team is better as the hunter?

some are ECSTATIC over tonight’s win. But the caa doesn’t run through York road  

• Like 1

It was nice to see the crowd get so loud in the second half, that caused Albany to miss a FT. It's been a long time since I've seen that happen at SECU.

They looked bad tonight but I’m sure there will be nights they play so good we can’t believe what we’re seeing. Hot and cold towson teams make my blood pressure rise. Happy with the crowd just wish our guys put on a better show for them. Thank Jesus for D.P. Dough. Quick turnaround to UMASS on Thursday. Hopefully this team wants to show they are road warriors. Gotta like Sekou and Russel’s efforts. Gotta hope Nick can learn to play like a veteran leader should. We miss juwan gray bad. Charlie Thompson needs more alpha dog in him and dominate the glass. Always disappointing when other teams are giving us the business on the offensive rebounds

8 minutes ago, Blounge said:

They looked bad tonight but I’m sure there will be nights they play so good we can’t believe what we’re seeing. Hot and cold towson teams make my blood pressure rise. Happy with the crowd just wish our guys put on a better show for them. Thank Jesus for D.P. Dough. Quick turnaround to UMASS on Thursday. Hopefully this team wants to show they are road warriors. Gotta like Sekou and Russel’s efforts. Gotta hope Nick can learn to play like a veteran leader should. We miss juwan gray bad. Charlie Thompson needs more alpha dog in him and dominate the glass. Always disappointing when other teams are giving us the business on the offensive rebounds

For some reason, Charles seems to shine in the CAA where the bigs aren't that big and the big ones are soft. He also struggled in non-conference play last season. Unfortunately, I mentioned the lack of a Juwan Gray-type in preseason and think you miss his length defensively. On offense, he would occasionally hit a big shot and grab a key rebound. I think Russel can be that guy to a point, but he's four inches shorter. 

10 minutes ago, Blounge said:

That was the best crowd we will get all year by over 1250 people.  Give me a good team playing in front of 50 over as bad one in front of 3000. 
this isn’t a strong basketball or sports area. Nothing wrong with being “Baltimore’s college team” and going 5-6 in football and 17-15 in hoops!

Just got home from game.  Ok, super small sample size, but what I saw was unsettling. First, I’m baffled why we only played 7 guys. It’s not that Conway, Paar, Biekeu, May & Williamson only played a few minutes, none of them played even 1 minute. I can’t imagine we’re going to have a successful season with a 7-man rotation.

Shooting was dismal and I think we might have broke even on the boards. I paid close attention to Hicks, and saw absolutely nothing to suggest he’s made the freshman to sophomore season leap we were all hoping for. As for the vets, CT missed multiple gimmes; Timberlake continues to let his emotions get the best of him and inexplicably fouled a guy near the end of the game on a 3-point shot. My seats are very close to the Towson bench and I noticed a lot of bad body language from Holden. Some fan near me was berating him at one point for distancing himself from the team huddle during a timeout.

My biggest question that I came away with tonight is are we athletic enough & big enough? To me, we look plodding and I don’t see anyone who was able to create their own shot off the dribble. Kudos to Sylla and Russell. Without them, we get blown out tonight. 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

For some reason, Charles seems to shine in the CAA where the bigs aren't that big and the big ones are soft. He also struggled in non-conference play last season. Unfortunately, I mentioned the lack of a Juwan Gray-type in preseason and think you miss his length defensively. On offense, he would occasionally hit a big shot and grab a key rebound. I think Russel can be that guy to a point, but he's four inches shorter. 

He got beat badly by a freshman in his first career game.   Nick Charles and Holden were AWFUL tonight. It’s ok to say it.  They can’t play that bad again and expect to win. Team looks like they were to busy reading all the press clipping instead of doing other basketball related  things 

Russell and Sylla opening comments

Russell

"It was fun. The crowd was there and the energy. Glad to perform in front of the family. Glad we got the win."

Sylla

"It felt great. After the scrimmage and the exhibition game, it felt good to put the ball up for real."

"We got this motto, I got your back, you got my back. It doesn't matter who is performing, we got each other."

Russell

"We were big pieces in our previous schools, wanted to come to a team that won a championship and replicate that. When our number is called, it's time to make an impact as much as we can."

Russell on playing at home (he's from Reisterstown)

"It was great. Playing in front of my family that has never seen me play, my grandparents. It's a great experience. Can't wait to try and bring home a championship again."

Sylla on the difference between D1 and D2

"It's way more physical. Coach and scouting is better. They know everything you are going to do before you do it and you hear it being called out."