• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB edges Albany 67-62 in a sluggish opener

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

He got beat badly by a freshman in his first career game.   Nick Charles and Holden were AWFUL tonight. It’s ok to say it.  They can’t play that bad again and expect to win. Team looks like they were to busy reading all the press clipping instead of doing other basketball related  things 

When did I say they were good? All three were terrible. I'm also not saying the world is ending. 

That was quite the brutal brawl, w more serious fouls than any two MBb games I've ever witnessed at Towson - akin to Ali & Joe Frazier! The Danes seemed to particularly have targeted Holden.. 

I too agree, Charles seemed intimidated or just distracted near the basket. Not the best night for him.. For a good stretch late in the 2nd half, it was more mayhem than basketball, with both sides out of sync, out of sorts, and struggling w ball control.. Skerry was afraid to use more than 7 players - wondering what that indicates? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

When did I say they were good? All three were terrible. I'm also not saying the world is ending. 

When did I say that you said they were good?

Just looked at umass. That can get UGLY on Thursday. Isaac the Towson killer kante coming off their bench?  He will torch us for 20 and 14. 

st joes should have been the wake up call. If not this shoulda been. But I doubt it. 7 player rotation. With 6 of them able to score at the d1 level?  Ugh

• Like 1

Back to the comments, Skerry

Opening Comment:

"Give Albany credit. With Bobby Jordan filling in for Dwayne Killings. We had to earn it. I want to thank Steve and his staff. That was an excellent crowd. It's what a college basketball environment is supposed to be like. I'm really appreciative of that. With that being said, I'm glad we recruited Sekou and Nygel. If you told me coming in that Nick and Cam were going to go 2-for-17, I would definitely would have been worried. I thought they made timely threes. Will have to watch the tape. Some broken plays. Long shots. Long rebounds. We didn't do a good enough job cleaning glass. But we did do a good job of making foul shots late. We told our guys in the locker room that this is what it's going to be like every night."

On rotation playing 7

"Mat, you are one of the smartest Towson people I've ever met. In Jerrelle's senior year when we won 25 games, our seventh man played 11 minutes per game. I think we have the ability to go 2-3 deeper. We're not there yet. We had them on the ropes. Maybe I should have put a couple of guys in. I make the most mistakes and I make the most decisions. I'll go home tonight and watch the tape and will try and figure out all the mistakes I made and try and get better out of it. "

The rebounding

"We didn't do a good enough job cleaning glass enough. Long shots, long rebounds. Some of it is guards rebounding down. What's exciting is that everyone is gong to expect us to roll over everyone. It's not going to happen. It's going to be a grind. We have holes. We have stuff we're trying to get better at. The more these types of games we have, it's going to help us in February and March."

On Timberlake pressing

"I think all of our guys want to play well and perform well at home in front of their peers and family, especially the competitive guys. All those guys are competitive. We'll get it right. They are playing hard. They'll be fine."

On getting chippy in second half and Albany coming back

"Bad play calls in that stretch where they came back. We have to clean some stuff up x's and o's wise. I do think some of that competitive juice stuff is good for our guys to lock in. That probably helped us late."

On crowd helping late

"It was great. I've been here awhile. I appreciate it. We've had a lot of good teams. When we have energy like that it absolutely helps. It's a credit to our administration and Steve helping to create the environment. Great opportunities coming up. Playing UMass. They have a Final Four coach. Will present a lot of challenges. A great opportunity for us. 

I’m sorry I wasn’t at the game.  Listened on the radio and then watched the highlights after.  

We did get the win right??  67-62

Ease up it is only their first game.  The sky is not falling.  
We know certain key guys (Nick & Cam) had off nights but their resumes say they are gonna be just fine.  
No clue why PS decided to only play 7 guys tonight.  

In comparison I just got back from the USF-Texas Southern game where USF committed 22 turnovers and their starter Julian Rishwain aka Swishrain had only 3 points in a 1 for 5 shooting night.  
USF got the win but their defense and rebounding and handling of the basketball were atrocious.  

Great to have such high expectations for Towson but we are gonna have a clunker or two this season and maybe good we got this one out of the way to start.  
CT, Gibby, Double S & Russell shot a combined 21-35!!  Wow!

Horrific second half. Had them on the ropes and couldn’t put them away which is disappointing. Gotta hope our first team all conference guys shoot better than 30% from the field (0-5 from 3). 

I hope the rotation gets deeper as the non-conference progresses. I think we’ve all agreed here, while we want this team to be successful it all comes down to conference play/conference tournament time. 

my biggest concern is the cohesion of the team. I hope they genuinely like each other and want to play for each other. That’s seemed to be the common theme for any “successful” team we’ve had. 

aside from that, a win is a win. Bigger test to see what we are made of later this week.