• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Timberlake leads MBB to 67-55 win over UMass

https://umassathletics.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=away

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/11/10/mens-basketball-timberlakes-career-night-leads-towson-mens-basketball-to-big-67-55-win-at-umass.aspx

Alright, instead of a recap, let's talk about the good, bad, and the ugly.  Good win on the road. Much better performance than Albany on opening night. Towson as a 3.5-point underdog near tip.

Good

Heck of a win on the road. Nicolas Timberlake bounced back from a 1-for-10 performance against Albany to score a career-high 27 points against a better UMass team. Yes, he was close to his home in Boston, but last year, he might have had his worst game ever at NE. UMass does have some really good players including Fernandes and "Shaggy" Cross is going to be a good transfer for them. Kante started working us in the second half, but was too late. Thank God we won't see him again.

Defense was good. Didn't really allow many open shots. Rebounding was spectacular against a big team. Cam Holden had 13 rebounds. 

Bench. Wasn't great tonight, but Chris Biekeu's 7 points in the first half when Charles Thompson played just 7 minutes due to foul trouble was huge.

UMass shot just 34.5% from the field. Most of that is on the Towson defense. They also shot just 3-of-14 from long range.

Bad

Free throws. I get when CT goes 2 for 5, but Cam was 3 for 8 and missed a front end of a one-an-one. He was around 70% last year and was good in the first game. Turnovers. Had 16 and 11 in the second half. They have a lot of depth and Frank Martin's teams will look to force turnovers and press and trap some in the halfcourt. Some of them were just drops by the big men. Hicks a nice dime or two. Charles dropped a perfect pass that would have been a dunk. 

Sylla 1 for 6 after scoring 19 points in the first half. Had trouble finishing tonight with the right hand. Not an explosive athlete but still needs to finish down low. Struggles a bit with footspeed defensively. But he did have seven boards.

Ugly

Fouls. Stop fouling when you're up 14. Gibson's foul on Kante when he had a wide open layup early in the second half was crushing. He picked up his fourth there and Radhir Hicks had to play most of the way. He's obviously struggling on offense, but not on D. A lot of those fouls late were on seniors.

Offense in the second half. Seemed like a lot of miscommunication between Holden and Sylla and Holden and Thompson. When Cam has the ball, guys have to move because he'll find you. But some concerns about Hicks playing the point for long stretches and struggling with his shot. He wasn't even close on one short jumper. His defense though is sensational. At some point, have to see what Ryan Conway can give them and maybe Dylan Williamson, though he's a bit thin but can shoot. 

Pat Skerry after the game on TowsonSportsNetwork.

"Don't bet against Nick. Timberlake and Holden are the most competitive guys we've ever had. We said no rebounds no rings. Guarded at a high level. We have to clean some stuff up. We guarded, rebounded and had Nick and Cam.

"Chris B. had 18 minutes. Practiced well, Earned it. Other guys are going to get their night. This is a big win for our school. University. It's on the road. Proud of our guys. Going to enjoy."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

2-0!  
Only played 8!

Goh Tigers!!  

Yup, after playing seven on Monday. Can we get to nine? Conway? Biekeu was sensational in the first half. Now he has to rebound (1).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Yup, after playing seven on Monday. Can we get to nine? Conway? Biekeu was sensational in the first half. Now he has to rebound (1).

It was a tremendous effort tonight.   I’m smiling and will be wearing my Towson gear proud tomorrow.  Assuming it is at the Palestra on Sunday?  Those nets are world famous.  Lets continue to let it rip Timberlake!

Scary thing is if we can put together a complete offensive game with the way we defend and rebound, we will be annihilating a lot of teams. Expectations are high and I was super critical tonight because I know how good this team can be from watching them over the summer. I doubt that we're going to play eight players in January or February. It's going to be a gradual thing to get some of these guys playing time and I mean Conway and Christian May. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

It was a tremendous effort tonight.   I’m smiling and will be wearing my Towson gear proud tomorrow.  Assuming it is at the Palestra on Sunday?  Those nets are world famous.  Lets continue to let it rip Timberlake!

Yes, the world-famous Palestra. Never saw a game there, but broadcasted a women's game in the late nineties there. It was super old back then.

• Like 1

Road win is a road win.

The last 17 minutes of that game was as ugly as two teams could play.  Lets hope we got our stinkers out against two bad teams. 

first half Nick was good. Too much reaching. Too much Fouling.  Thank god umass couldn’t hit from the line and is a bad team. 

2-0 and playing poorly Is good I guess. Need others to step up. 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Road win is a road win.

The last 17 minutes of that game was as ugly as two teams could play.  Lets hope we got our stinkers out against two bad teams. 

first half Nick was good. Too much reaching. Too much Fouling.  Thank god umass couldn’t hit from the line and is a bad team. 

2-0 and playing poorly Is good I guess. Need others to step up. 

Time will tell if this UMass team will be in the lower half of the A10. 
I saw Towson players hustling and getting their hands in the passing lanes and making things happen.  Not a complete 40 minutes but a nice answer to Monday’s lackluster performance.  2012 you are always a tough critic but I appreciate you.  Always keeping us old timers grounded.