• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat Penn 80-74

I am taking it week by week, in the early going its 3-0. UNCG bigs look to be decently sized and kept it competitive with The U into the latter part of the second half. We have the talent to keep stacking these W's. We did what we needed to do against Penn. I did see Conway in briefly 

1 hour ago, TUTigers said:

At least they were clutch with the free throws. Good win. 

23-32 for 72%.  Road foul shots win games.  This team needs to hit the front ends better going forward but I’ll take it. 

I’ll gladly take a work in progress 3-0 than the alternative. They’ve got stuff to clean up but so does everyone else. They’re going to keep getting better as they gel.

43 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’d like to look at it as we’re  a work in progress and certainly don’t want to peak too soon. No doubt there’s room for improvement, but I’ll take 3-0, with 2 W’s on the road. Vexed/disappointed that Conway is MIA. The pessimist in me is concerned he may turn out to be a ballyhooed lost cause, but too early of course to make that conclusion. I guess my other concern is Sylla, who’s production has decreased in each game. As Mat has pointed out, he’s not athletic enough to score from the perimeter and he’s far too small to be a consistent inside scorer. I’m thinking his ceiling is a season average of around 7ppg. But we don’t need him to score 20ppg. Nice to see Biekeu making some contributions, and Hicks as well. On to Greensboro 

I’ll concede that. But our older players need to step up. Sloppy play, bad shots, lackadaisical etc. We don’t have a good enough player to get away with that like other caa teams.  

42 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Awful is a stretch. We played well for about 30 minutes today on the road against a pretty good Ivy League team with a great player in Dingle. I don't have expectations of playing a perfect game on the road in a 125-year old arena. Just win, get better and improve the rotation.

That was far from perfect. No one expects that. Penn played awful too and jury is out if they are actually decent. We didn’t take advantage and put it away. Glad you were happy to just get a win. Taking the foot of the gas is a bad habit to get into.

Some positives in our 3 wins…

Nic, Cam & Gibby are shooting 40% or better from beyond the arc 

Sylla is averaging 6.7 rebounds per game 

Our team assist to turnover ratio is 44-41 *Cam is 12 to 16 and that will improve I believe or at least not get worse 

Canadien Chris has averaged 5.5 pts & 3 rebounds so far..  bonus!

Hicks is averaging 18.7 minutes per game as opposed to 12.7 minutes last season.  That kid is gonna get better and better.  

3-0!!!   Good teams find a way to win despite playing poorly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’ll concede that. But our older players need to step up. Sloppy play, bad shots, lackadaisical etc. We don’t have a good enough player to get away with that like other caa teams.  

That was far from perfect. No one expects that. Penn played awful too and jury is out if they are actually decent. We didn’t take advantage and put it away. Glad you were happy to just get a win. Taking the foot of the gas is a bad habit to get into.

Funny. I was happy to get the win but I did say we need to improve the rotation and other things. I'm not going to cry after every game that we did not win by 20+ on the road. Is Penn good or bad? WTF knows but you know that the CAA is not great including us. We're not Kansas or Duke or even VCU about 15 years ago who really didn't have a great offense. They won with the press. It's ok to win with defense and rebounding as long as you have enough offense to win or a star player coming through. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Some positives in our 3 wins…

Nic, Cam & Gibby are shooting 40% or better from beyond the arc 

Sylla is averaging 6.7 rebounds per game 

Our team assist to turnover ratio is 44-41 *Cam is 12 to 16 and that will improve I believe or at least not get worse 

Canadien Chris has averaged 5.5 pts & 3 rebounds so far..  bonus!

Hicks is averaging 18.7 minutes per game as opposed to 12.7 minutes last season.  That kid is gonna get better and better.  

3-0!!!   Good teams find a way to win despite playing poorly.  

Biekeu has been a pleasant surprise and he's only played two games.

• Like 1

I know, I'm getting too far ahead with this question. But just how many more (ugly) Ws would it take for us to get ranked, say in the top 65? We were highly regarded pre-season, and are now 3-0. If (IF..) we edge UNCG, 4-0.. 🤔

I'm fairly confident we'll improve enough at some point to approximate the level of play we displayed late last year when we won four out of five games by 20-30 points: just dominant play all around, especially down low where CT became a potent offensive weapon. In those games, we were a force. BUT, it concerns me that our old habits die hard, even with a largely veteran group. By that, I mean stretches  where "bad Cam" emerges and tries to do too much, committing costly turnovers in the process; too many times when we're flatfooted at both ends of the court; and times when poor free-throw shooting seems contagious. And, frankly, too many times when PS's substitution decisions are head-scratching (a polite way of saying "boneheaded"). Yes, each season is a work in progress, so I'll stay hopeful for now that Mr. Hyde doesn't show up at inopportune times (the CAA tournament in particular) to undo Dr. Jekyll's otherwise good work.

• Like 1