• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
tu_fan

Around the CAA

5 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Tonight's College of Charleston-NC A&T game will be more interesting than we had initially anticipated. After being handled by Northeastern in its opener, NC A&T had an upset road win over Hofstra (after Hofstra crushed Delaware on the road). I would expect a double-digit CofC victory, but am interested to see if some of their sloppy play against Towson in the second half carries into that game. 

NC A&T couldn’t even cover +12.5

Edited by Blounge

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not interesting. A and T stinks. Unless Charleston does their patented second half collapse, they win by 20

Nope, didn't end up being very interesting. That result makes sense. Sometimes the first 3-4 conference games results don't, and Charleston played tight games with Presbyterian and Stetson (they are alright) earlier this year. Good on them for eeking out a close game at our place and taking care of business against a crappy team that can score points and was coming off a good road win. That is what really good teams are supposed to do. They have been really good in non-conference play and I was interested to see if they would continue to be really good in conference play. They definitely took care of business tonight. 

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

NC A&T couldn’t even cover +12.5

Wrote my previous post too quickly. Should have said could be interesting not will be interesting. Obviously this was the most likely result, but I was interested to see what NC A&T could do coming off the Hofstra win. They did score more points against CofC than any team other than Richmind and UNC, but they clearly don't play a lick of defense.

Looks UNC-W kept Elon on arms length for the entire night as well. They have done a good job of fattening up Monmouth, Hampton and Elon so far in conference play. 

46 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Wrote my previous post too quickly. Should have said could be interesting not will be interesting. Obviously this was the most likely result, but I was interested to see what NC A&T could do coming off the Hofstra win. They did score more points against CofC than any team other than Richmind and UNC, but they clearly don't play a lick of defense.

Looks UNC-W kept Elon on arms length for the entire night as well. They have done a good job of fattening up Monmouth, Hampton and Elon so far in conference play. 

Charleston 

Uncw

Hofstra 

Delaware.      Towson 

Everyone  else 

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Charleston 

Uncw

Hofstra 

Delaware.      Towson 

Everyone  else 

You are probably right, but I am not quite read for that structure yet. 

Feels like

College of Charleston

UNC-Wilmington, Towson, Hofstra

Northeastern, Delaware, Drexel

Everyone else, but Hampton (and I am pretty sure everyone but Charleston, will probably find a way to stub their toe against one of the likes of Elon, Monmouth, Stony Brook or NC A&T at some point this season).

Hampton (they look like definitively the worst team)

Like I said, I think you are right mostly, but CofC is the only team I think we can say is definitively better than everyone right now. Hofstra, UNC-Wilmington and especially Towson all have a lot to still show. I also think one of Northeastern, Delaware or Drexel could jump in that mix if one of the afformentioned three disappoint. As you have said before, it is garbage conference right now with Charleston and maybe UNC-Wilmington as the only good teams. I am not done thinking that we can get our crap together and be a top 3-4 team in this conference, but we have a lot to sort out to get there and that process needs to start tonight. I do think if this membership stays the same this could be a pretty solid conference eventually. Stony Brook had some really good America East seasons, Monmouth had some really strong runs in the MAAC and I actually expect NC A&T recruting profile to jump up because I think a lot of HBCUs are successfully ramping up recruiting efforts and raising expectations by leaving the MEAC. 

49 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Looks like the 1 seed is no longer locked up. 

Does this cost C of.C an autobid, if they don’t win the conference tournament? My guess is maybe. If they lose in the conference tournament, that would give them 3 L’s on the season, and might give the selection committee an excuse to keep them out in favor of some 5th-7th place P5 school. 

Edited by TSU88

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Does this cost C of.C an autobid, if they don’t win the conference tournament? My guess is maybe. If they lose in the conference tournament, that would give them 3 L’s on the season, and might give the selection committee an excuse to keep them out in favor of some 5th-7th place P5 school. 

A lot depends on who they lose to. Losing to one of the top 4 in the league won’t hurt as much as a bad loss. I’d say they can probably tolerate 1 more reg season and a loss in the finals to get in. 

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

A lot depends on who they lose to. Losing to one of the top 4 in the league won’t hurt as much as a bad loss. I’d say they can probably tolerate 1 more reg season and a loss in the finals to get in. 

Being ranked for 3/4 weeks helps. It’s in peoples minds. But some of the shine of their early seasons losses have worn off. Only 2 games left with teams more than a game over 500

The only 2 losses they could really afford is vs Towson and vs UNCW. Both are in the top 135 in the NET currently but I’d think losing 1 of those 2 and a Conf Finals loss would still get them in. To 2012’s point, the only other over .500 teams they play are UD and Drexel who would end up being bad L’s. 

As bad as the bottom of the league is, the top 4 (CoC, UNCW, Hofstra, Towson) are pretty dang good.