• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Javier leads Football to 27-7 win over Hampton in finale

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/11/19/towson-football-tops-hampton-for-fourth-straight-victory.aspx

Four straight wins to end the season. The defense held their last three opponents to 27 points combined. Sure, the opponents helped though the win over Villanova was arguably the best win since Flacco was at QB. Robert Javier was sensational for the second straight week with four deflections and the pick-six. I didn't see this happening from him. I was hoping he'd be this good about four years ago so I guess he's a late bloomer.

The offense was good at using the clock, but they didn't finish drives. More later in the comments section about the penalties and how they were eliminated in the second half.

Also, Isaiah Perkins is going to be a star. It would help if he played with a more accurate QB, but Piggy did get the job done with his arm and feet to get the team to 6-5. A win against an overrated Delaware team or they showed up against Elon or UNH, it would have been nice. W&M is just really good.

Was that enough or not enough? That is the question and I attempted to ask it at the press conference with Steve Eigenbrot and Rob's wife in attendance, so it was awkward and there really wasn't an answer. Kind of tough to answer that in a press conference where your boss is in attendance other than to say, "our staff deserves to be here in 2023 and beyond, but I don't make those decisions." That's what I was hoping for but there wasn't an answer. More comments later.

Thanks for asking the question! It’s time for a new coach. I respect rob and think he gave it his all here as the coach but we need to strive for more. I’d rather swing and miss on a new coach rather then settle for mediocrity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Comments after the game

RA

"I'm very proud, in a way that most people won't understand. I don't really care. These are football players and grown up young men. Really proud of how they played, how they carried themslves. Represented the football program and my diploma. Just happy that I got to spend time with them."

Javier

"Against Stony Brook, I kind of set up. Steeds was to my side, he was supposed to be my safety help. I know #11 personally, so I was just like, alright I was going to give him the inside and I wanted to win."

Last 3 games, allowing 27 points

Vinnie Schaffer 

"Coming together and playing as a team. Go out there and we want to win. We started, 2-0 and then 0-5 and to come out with a winning record, it's amazing. It shows you how much we gelled together. If we had five more weeks, we would have won five more games."

On playing with new guys

"Having all the new guys in, you have to fill that chemistry. When you go on that losing streak, guys aren't locked in as well. It speaks character to what these guys do."

On overcoming adversity (sickness and 5-game losing streak)

"I feel a lot of it was self-inflicted, We shot ourselves in the foot. We should  have won a lot of those guys and we beat ourselves."

RA on penalties in first half

"I told them that if anybody retaliated again, that they would have to take off their uniform and they were done for the day. I have a lot of commentaries internal that I'm not going to say. They handled their business in the second half."

On offense

"This was a team win. Part of what we've done offensively, it a little bit what we did back in the day. When you face super-dynamic offenses, you better be able to control the ball. You better be able to keep the ball out of their hands. We ran the ball as well as anybody in the league in the second half of the season. That was out of necessity because we played some impressive offense. YOu can't score when you don't have the ball. We could have done some more stuff in the second half. But the longer we kept the ball, the longer they were on the sidelines, the colder they got and the less talented they became."

On next year (will there be one) with the momentum of winning four straight?

"Are you dropping football? (You ask him, pointed towards Steve E.) Unless the program is dead? A bunch of guys in the locker room that are tighter than before. They grow up. When they do, they tend to have a tremendous amount of success. There are a lot of guys that see what can be done and are excited about the future."

Steed on two picks

"I saw seeing basic routes. Verticals. Hash, hash, numbers. Easy reads. I just needed to stay poised in big moments. When I stay poised I make big plays."

Vinnie on senior year

"It feels surreal, coming from another school, walking on here. Grateful for all of it. The fact that we were able to come back and go 6-5. All of the momentum going into next year. I will will be here cheering on my guys. I love this team and all the people in it."

On time of possession for defensive guys

Vinnie

"It gives everyone confidence. Football is a game of swag and momentum. I want to match that. We went out and played with our hearts."

Rob on what the seniors what they went through

"The guys that are in that locker room right now have gone through a college experience unlike any other in my lifetime. There's no playbook for any of us who have done us. To go through college and had the experience we had re-defined the word "challenge". I think everyone learned a bit about themselves and the game. The world throws  you Covid and life is a lot different. As an alum, the experience here in the classroom and off can prepare you to be successful. I have complete confidence in all these kids that they will all be successful."

Happy for the players, especially the seniors. You play who’s on the schedule. The fact that the winning streak was against bad teams (well, Villanova is mediocre, not bad) isn’t the fault of our players.

I feel the program is at a crossroads-do the comfortable thing and rationalize giving RA a new contract, because he finished the season on a winning streak, thus continuing on the cycle of mediocrity we’ve been in since the 2014 season, or do something bold and roll the dice 🎲 on a new coach, in the process making a statement that we’re shooting for something better than a 6-5 or 7-4 ceiling 

Let’s not joke ourselves… This is Towson, of course he’s back.  The football alum just happy having a program. As is the president.  6-5, 3-8, 5-6 in Fcs? Who cares?

I've only heard from a few football alums but it's really not their choice. The one making the decision, and maybe he'll have some help, is a Maryland alum.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I've only heard from a few football alums but it's really not their choice. The one making the decision, and maybe he'll have some help, is a Maryland alum.

Whether he stays or goes, would it not make sense to make the decision promptly, so that whoever the coach is going to be can hit the recruiting trail? I can’t imagine Ambrose has any recruiting cred at the moment, as a lame duck