• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Ambrose let go

Now that’s a gutsy move and looks like they are being serious in making the program better. Rob, thanks for the championship run but that’s about it. Much success. On to the next one!

Well, you all got what you wanted. Rob brough this program to a place we had never been to before. The playoffs and the NC. I want to personnly thank Rob for bring life to our program. For those that say I am a Rob Supporter, I am. I am a supporter of the program period. I started with Gordy (1991 - when there was no fundrsiing at all for football) and was a super Gordy Supporter. I started the Quarterback Club to help Gordy and the program raise funds (funds the school by the way would not give the program). I don't want to go into all the things I have done to help this program, but I can tell you it is more than any of you all have done combined. When Gordy was let go, I became a Rob Supporter. I will be a Super Supporter of whoever the next coach is too. For me it's not about who the coach is, its about the program. I get behind whoever the coach is and give my TOTAL suppoprt to him. I have been involved for 31 years (as a volunteer, never paid for anything I do). My wife and I have been to every game home and away for 31 years (Minus the Eastern Washington game in 2013 due to canceld flight and snow storms). Can any of you people who are so negative about this program say that! I hope that the next coach gets all the support from the Admin he needs for US to be successful. I know that I will be a big supporter of whoever it is, because thats what I do, SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM with my heart and soul. 

So whoever the next coach is, I am your biggest supporter. Go Tigers

Ed Molen

• Like 4

I think most of us that are here love this program. Some don't and that's fine. FCS football is not for everyone. Tailgating is not for everyone. Steve Eigenbrot wasn't brought in just to replace Tim Leonard. He was going to come in and change things that needed changing or at least attempt. He also wasn't brought in just to hire a women's basketball and field hockey coach. 

Personally, I had a hard time watching this team over the years, on both sides of the ball. In the last four games, the defense played well, but the offense was like watching paint dry and I love football (FCS or FBS). If I had thought it was dull to cover and I can only imagine what the casual fans thought. They want to be entertained, not just win football games against bad-to-mediocre opponents. We were really good in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2018. That's four seasons in 13+ years. We were mediocre-to-bad the rest of the way. Mediocrity is 76-76. In years past, that was good enough. If you want to get to the next level, whatever that may be, whether it's top of the FCS or moving on to Gof5, then the move had to be made. Now, that hire will be the most important one since Rob was brought in. Even more than the Skerry hire because our program was dormant when he took over.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, etiger said:

Well, you all got what you wanted. Rob brough this program to a place we had never been to before. The playoffs and the NC. I want to personnly thank Rob for bring life to our program. For those that say I am a Rob Supporter, I am. I am a supporter of the program period. I started with Gordy (1991 - when there was no fundrsiing at all for football) and was a super Gordy Supporter. I started the Quarterback Club to help Gordy and the program raise funds (funds the school by the way would not give the program). I don't want to go into all the things I have done to help this program, but I can tell you it is more than any of you all have done combined. When Gordy was let go, I became a Rob Supporter. I will be a Super Supporter of whoever the next coach is too. For me it's not about who the coach is, its about the program. I get behind whoever the coach is and give my TOTAL suppoprt to him. I have been involved for 31 years (as a volunteer, never paid for anything I do). My wife and I have been to every game home and away for 31 years (Minus the Eastern Washington game in 2013 due to canceld flight and snow storms). Can any of you people who are so negative about this program say that! I hope that the next coach gets all the support from the Admin he needs for US to be successful. I know that I will be a big supporter of whoever it is, because thats what I do, SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM with my heart and soul. 

So whoever the next coach is, I am your biggest supporter. Go Tigers

Ed Molen

What “we” wanted (those of us who advocated for a change) was a reset; a coach who can hopefully make us a consistent playoff team, which necessarily means a coach who can do a better job bringing in quality QB’s and who’s ceiling isn’t 6-5 or maybe, in a good year, 7-4. 

Surely no one believes that the 10 or so of us who post here regularly had even the slightest role in convincing the new A.D. to make this decision. Are there people who post here (including me) who have been negative about the job Ambrose has been doing? Of course, and with good cause, I would say, given his record from 2014-2022. Does this diminish the storybook championship game run? Of course not, but there comes a point where past accomplishments begin to fade in the rear view mirror and current and future results become the relevant consideration.

More than 1 thing can be true at the same time-we can support the program (and you’re right, we all take a backseat to you in that regard) and still want new leadership and a new vision to hopefully return the program to relevance, as opposed to the rut we’ve been in since Frisco. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I think most of us that are here love this program. Some don't and that's fine. FCS football is not for everyone. Tailgating is not for everyone. Steve Eigenbrot wasn't brought in just to replace Tim Leonard. He was going to come in and change things that needed changing or at least attempt. He also wasn't brought in just to hire a women's basketball and field hockey coach. 

Personally, I had a hard time watching this team over the years, on both sides of the ball. In the last four games, the defense played well, but the offense was watching paint dry and I love football (FCS or FBS). If I had thought it was dull to cover and I can only imagine what the casual fans thought. They want to be entertained, not just win football games against bad-to-mediocre opponents. We were really good for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2018. That's four seasons in 13+ years. We were mediocre-to-bad the rest of the way. Mediocrity is 76-76. In years past, that was good enough. If you want to get to the next level, whatever that may be, whether it's top of the FCS or moving on to Gof5, then the move had to be made. Now, that hire will be the most important one since Rob was brought in. Even more than the Skerry hire because our program was dormant when he took over.

You are likely correct about being brought in to make changes. We will now see if the university is willing to put their money where their mouth is. Our sports are totally underfunded...all of them. If you are going to make changes and hope for better results......you had better throw in a bunch of greenbacks. Otherwise, you are merely replacing one face with another.

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

What “we” wanted (those of us who advocated for a change) was a reset; a coach who can hopefully make us a consistent playoff team, which necessarily means a coach who can do a better job bringing in quality QB’s and who’s ceiling isn’t 6-5 or maybe, in a good year, 7-4. 

Surely no one believes that the 10 or so of us who post here regularly had even the slightest role in convincing the new A.D. to make this decision. Are there people who post here (including me) who have been negative about the job Ambrose has been doing? Of course, and with good cause, I would say, given his record from 2014-2022. Does this diminish the storybook championship game run? Of course not, but there comes a point where past accomplishments begin to fade in the rear view mirror and current and future results become the relevant consideration.

More than 1 thing can be true at the same time-we can support the program (and you’re right, we all take a backseat to you in that regard) and still want new leadership and a new vision to hopefully return the program to relevance, as opposed to the rut we’ve been in since Frisco. 

Exactly.  Being one of the more vocal on here, the only chance we had at change was not making the playoffs this year. Wish we had enough money to cut him loose last year. Band aid transfers, going year to year with a lame duck coach is no way to build a program.  
I loved Robs energy when he was first hired. It was contagious around campus. We had a few really good players for a stretch and an all world one. Made the championship but after that it was all down hill. He got stale, as do many coaches just hanging around. Got to give him and the players credit for continuing to fight at the end. I know first hand that everyone including PK himself gave up that last year (assuming he tried at all). 
A new voice was needed and hopefully we have someone good coming in soon, who can take us where all tiger fans want to be.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Exactly.  Being one of the more vocal on here, the only chance we had at change was not making the playoffs this year. Wish we had enough money to cut him loose last year. Band aid transfers, going year to year with a lame duck coach is no way to build a program.  
I loved Robs energy when he was first hired. It was contagious around campus. We had a few really good players for a stretch and an all world one. Made the championship but after that it was all down hill. He got stale, as do many coaches just hanging around. Got to give him and the players credit for continuing to fight at the end. I know first hand that everyone including PK himself gave up that last year (assuming he tried at all). 
A new voice was needed and hopefully we have someone good coming in soon, who can take us where all tiger fans want to be.  

Almost without exception, coaches are hired to be fired. Even legendary ones. The trajectory of the program has been heading downward for years. 7-win ceiling; 1 playoff appearance, ending in an unceremonious drubbing at the hands of Duquesne; over reliance on transfers; a revolving door of mostly mediocre QB play; an often boring style of play; attendance declining every game this season after the home opener. 

These aren’t low blows, just the facts 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

One of the problems is that Towson is a stepping stone school. If the program winds up with someone who "takes you where you want to go".....that coach will be gone almost immediately. The difference was that Rob was where he wanted to be. Not defending or attacking....just statement of fact.

Just now, Tgr4life said:

One of the problems is that Towson is a stepping stone school. If the program winds up with someone who "takes you where you want to go".....that coach will be gone almost immediately. The difference was that Rob was where he wanted to be. Not defending or attacking....just statement of fact.

I have no problem with being a stepping stone. That would mean someone made us very successful before moving on, which would make us an attractive landing spot for the next coach. Wash, rinse, repeat. What programs, other than a select few, aren’t stepping stones?🤔

• Like 1