• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Ambrose let go

I don't think there is any right or wrong recipe when it comes to hiring a stepping stone type coach or someone who would stay and be loyal. There are always a variety of choices that lead down each of those paths, along with a variety of paths of commitment we might take. In my opinion, as we have talked about the Power 5 conference stuff has changed the dynamic of what our level of FCS will be. If things continue to play out the way they have, the non-power 5 could be a strong version of FCS football, the good FCS can be jumping into that or being on the outskirts of it, and the current FCS that we reside in might become more of a D-2 level of football. Power 5 is obviously way above our scope, but I am interested if we hire a coach and show enough commitment in resources to aspire to where the JMUs have gone and the Delaware's are going. It will take a pretty big swing here to do that. 

It is truly incredible that we have had three coaches (I think I am right on this) in our football program since 1972. I give all of them props for moving the program to the next level in their own way, and no matter that criticism about West being a big part of getting us to the title game Rob led the charge and in showing Towson football where it can go. He just didn't do a great job of keeping us there. If the next coach can continue that incremental build and make us a consistent winner and playoff team at a high level (whatever that shakes out to be in this modern NIL, conference shift every three years) world of football I will be happy. 

It would also give me a lot of confidence in Eigenbrot if he can get someone at the top of his list (which I hope he already has in his head) quickly (like 2-3 weeks at the most). I know it may be unrealistic, but I do think good ADs plan for this stuff all the time no matter how good or bad the coach is doing.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Ok, so Mason Woods is on the Jerry Rice Award Finalist for best freshman.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/11/21/football-woods-honored-as-2022-jerry-rice-award-finalist.aspx

He's one of a handful that the new coach will need to keep. Also, WR Isaiah Perkins and LT Dan Volpe. All three are freshmen. Same with G/C Jorden Nelson, who hasn't played yet, but will likely start at center for Cheripko next season. Was an original commit to UConn. But in all reality, especially with NIL, it will be tough to keep everyone. 

When you talk about resources, the budget is important but we really need, aside from some NIL money, is Cost of Attendance or Alston case so players can get some stipends.

My suspicion is that other FCS teams will be looking to poach our more promising players, some of whom probably had other offers before committing here and will revisit that decision. In a lot of ways, the new coach will be starting from scratch, but if he has a good reputation it won't be as steep a climb as in the old days, when no transfer portal existed. (Having said that, I'd really like to see a strong emphasis on building a foundation of freshman recruits, which Mike London has done at W&M.)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I don't think there is any right or wrong recipe when it comes to hiring a stepping stone type coach or someone who would stay and be loyal. There are always a variety of choices that lead down each of those paths, along with a variety of paths of commitment we might take. In my opinion, as we have talked about the Power 5 conference stuff has changed the dynamic of what our level of FCS will be. If things continue to play out the way they have, the non-power 5 could be a strong version of FCS football, the good FCS can be jumping into that or being on the outskirts of it, and the current FCS that we reside in might become more of a D-2 level of football. Power 5 is obviously way above our scope, but I am interested if we hire a coach and show enough commitment in resources to aspire to where the JMUs have gone and the Delaware's are going. It will take a pretty big swing here to do that. 

It is truly incredible that we have had three coaches (I think I am right on this) in our football program since 1972. I give all of them props for moving the program to the next level in their own way, and no matter that criticism about West being a big part of getting us to the title game Rob led the charge and in showing Towson football where it can go. He just didn't do a great job of keeping us there. If the next coach can continue that incremental build and make us a consistent winner and playoff team at a high level (whatever that shakes out to be in this modern NIL, conference shift every three years) world of football I will be happy. 

It would also give me a lot of confidence in Eigenbrot if he can get someone at the top of his list (which I hope he already has in his head) quickly (like 2-3 weeks at the most). I know it may be unrealistic, but I do think good ADs plan for this stuff all the time no matter how good or bad the coach is doing.  

They do have a list for every position. My guess is that this decision was made a while ago. Would not be terribly surprised if the decision is very close to being made already. 

I’m sure they have to form a committee for the search and hire a firm. With recruiting, it would be great if it took 2-3 weeks but I assume not.

6 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I’m sure our Lyndon told Eigenbrot he will not seek or accept the job on a full time basis (bonus points to anyone who knows in what context the “real” LBJ made this statement).

E68057F3-0325-4EB8-A89C-0B9B146F0450.jpeg

I am old enough that ten year old me was watching that night.

• Like 1

While I don’t enjoy seeing anyone lose their job, especially when the person, seemingly, was working their dream job - but this is the right move.  

I’ve been a season ticket holder for many years. I support football,Lax and Hoops. For me, our football program has been painful to watch. We need new energy, we need a new voice, we need a new start. We absolutely did nothing to capitalize on our good run in the T West days. 

Good luck Rob….. I had tears in my eyes during the 2014 run- but it is time for change. 

• Like 2

Rob was/is a tremendous position coach and offensive coordinator. Not every great coordinator makes for a great head coach. I believe his time at Towson prior to being HC and his time at UConn are indicative of his value as a coordinator. He can easily transition to an OC at a Group 5 school and even a lesser Power 5 school. Just don’t think his demeanor and personality are well suited for a head coaching gig. 

He’s a Tiger for life and his success should not be discounted. Just wasn’t able to sustain any momentum. 

Onward & upward, Tigers!

56 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Rob was/is a tremendous position coach and offensive coordinator. Not every great coordinator makes for a great head coach. I believe his time at Towson prior to being HC and his time at UConn are indicative of his value as a coordinator. He can easily transition to an OC at a Group 5 school and even a lesser Power 5 school. Just don’t think his demeanor and personality are well suited for a head coaching gig. 

He’s a Tiger for life and his success should not be discounted. Just wasn’t able to sustain any momentum. 

Onward & upward, Tigers!

I do think Rob was a good leader. He did the right things when it came to making guys go to class and doing the right things off the field. On the field, I didn't agree with everything that was done, but what ultimately did him in was recruiting. Not getting enough talent at the important spots and maybe not picking the right DC though I'm sure $$$ had something to do with it. I'm sure he'll do fine as an OC/QB coach somewhere, but I could also see him as a HC at another FCS school if he chooses to take less $$$.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I do think Rob was a good leader. He did the right things when it came to making guys go to class and doing the right things off the field. On the field, I didn't agree with everything that was done, but what ultimately did him in was recruiting. Not getting enough talent at the important spots and maybe not picking the right DC though I'm sure $$$ had something to do with it. I'm sure he'll do fine as an OC/QB coach somewhere, but I could also see him as a HC at another FCS school if he chooses to take less $$$.

I am overlysimplifying things, but it really felt like the inability to build off our national championship game appearance boiled down to two main things. Rob was never able to replicate the dominate offensive line we had for that run, which I think almost if not as much as Terrance West was responsible for that run. Also, we had way too many misses on transfer/recruited QBs. Enders and Athens both did a nice job of being high level game mangers for very good rushing offenses, and Flacco was a human highlight reel. Other than that, there were just way too many misses on that position. 

It always felt like we had talent on our defense, but could never build a dominant unit with some of the schemes we employed. Our special teams was hit or miss at best throughout Rob's tenure. If we had better talent around Flacco, we probably could have made a better run.

However, what Rob did with not only West, but that offensive line should not be discounted. I was in Baton Rouge when our offensive line pushed around No 3 LSU for most of the first half and it is still one of the most impressive things this program has done. 

52 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I am overlysimplifying things, but it really felt like the inability to build off our national championship game appearance boiled down to two main things. Rob was never able to replicate the dominate offensive line we had for that run, which I think almost if not as much as Terrance West was responsible for that run. Also, we had way too many misses on transfer/recruited QBs. Enders and Athens both did a nice job of being high level game mangers for very good rushing offenses, and Flacco was a human highlight reel. Other than that, there were just way too many misses on that position. 

It always felt like we had talent on our defense, but could never build a dominant unit with some of the schemes we employed. Our special teams was hit or miss at best throughout Rob's tenure. If we had better talent around Flacco, we probably could have made a better run.

However, what Rob did with not only West, but that offensive line should not be discounted. I was in Baton Rouge when our offensive line pushed around No 3 LSU for most of the first half and it is still one of the most impressive things this program has done. 

Good point about the offensive line. I thought we had a pretty good one from 2018-21. Not having enough depth at running back when Shane went down various times didn’t help.