• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Ambrose let go

45 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I am overlysimplifying things, but it really felt like the inability to build off our national championship game appearance boiled down to two main things. Rob was never able to replicate the dominate offensive line we had for that run, which I think almost if not as much as Terrance West was responsible for that run. Also, we had way too many misses on transfer/recruited QBs. Enders and Athens both did a nice job of being high level game mangers for very good rushing offenses, and Flacco was a human highlight reel. Other than that, there were just way too many misses on that position. 

It always felt like we had talent on our defense, but could never build a dominant unit with some of the schemes we employed. Our special teams was hit or miss at best throughout Rob's tenure. If we had better talent around Flacco, we probably could have made a better run.

However, what Rob did with not only West, but that offensive line should not be discounted. I was in Baton Rouge when our offensive line pushed around No 3 LSU for most of the first half and it is still one of the most impressive things this program has done. 

Fantastic synopsis.  However,  I believe we had those offensive linemen in the program. Because of injuries,Guys like Flaherty, Antonio Harris, Shunke  only played 1/2 of a game together (2015 ECU) -and in that game they showed how dominant they could have been.

I also believe that some moves behind the scenes within the administrationled to a dip in performance on the field.  I trust that our new AD will not allow that kind of stuff to happen with our new coach.

Also we can’t forget that one sorority girl who tried to do a backflip off a pickup truck at the tailgate and hit her head so hard they banned tailgating and further set the program and fan base back. Without that nonsense I legitimately believe attendance would be significantly higher

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

Also we can’t forget that one sorority girl who tried to do a backflip off a pickup truck at the tailgate and hit her head so hard they banned tailgating and further set the program and fan base back. Without that nonsense I legitimately believe attendance would be significantly higher

Ah….. that 11pm wbal news headline.  A rouge administrator pops off and does her own thang!

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-rob-ambrose-towson-football-20221121-pxaikn4p6jcvhcfhqtieifc7hi-story.html

Quotes from the Sun story this morning (top of the front page of the Sports section)

Reached via text, Ambrose declined to comment.

Towson athletic director Steve Eigenbrot said he informed Ambrose of the decision Monday morning. He also said he elected not to offer another contract extension to Ambrose, who had two more months left on his current deal.

While acknowledging a number of factors that contributed to the decision, Eigenbrot noted that the school has not qualified for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoffs since 2018.

“We want to play football on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and we want to continue that with more frequency,” he said. “When I got hired, I think the comment that was made that was pretty relevant to TU athletics was that we’ve seen success in many areas across the board. The idea of sustained success and what that looks like is something that we’re after, and I think the football program in recent years hasn’t been able to hit that mark.”

Eigenbrot credited Ambrose and his players for refusing to give up after a five-game losing streak from Sept. 17 to Oct. 22.

“They lost five games in a row, which I think for all intents and purposes eliminated them from the playoffs, and they turned around and won four games,” he said. “I don’t care who the opponents are, but the fact that they did that says a lot about the character of the team and Coach Ambrose’s willingness to put in the work. That being said, when I got here in March, Rob had 10 months left on his contract, and we’ve been in a situation here — kind of well before my tenure — where as he was coaching that contract down, I think things were kind of pointed in this direction, and ultimately, it felt like … a confluence of circumstances where it was time.”

Eigenbrot said his phone has been “ablaze” with interest from potential successors. He said he would not restrict the parameters of the search to only those with head coaching experience or those who are well-versed in the CAA.

“I don’t think there’s a particular type,” he said. “With me, I feel like the fit piece certainly makes a lot of sense. … If you’re not a DMV person but you’ve got some experience in the CAA or know what FCS football looks like, I think there’s two different ways to go about that. At the end of the day, I’d really like to find somebody that fits Towson and fits with me and our vision of what this athletic department wants to be moving forward.”

• Like 1

Enders was one of the greatest QBs in the history of the team - in my opinion much better than Flacco (better runner and passer).  He was way more than a game manager and I'm convinced that if he was on the team that played NDSU, we would have easily won that game.  That said, I get you point, and outside of Flacco, we brought in one dud after another at QB....And the freshman recruits at QB seemed like D3 talents to me....

15 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Enders was one of the greatest QBs in the history of the team - in my opinion much better than Flacco (better runner and passer).  He was way more than a game manager and I'm convinced that if he was on the team that played NDSU, we would have easily won that game.  That said, I get you point, and outside of Flacco, we brought in one dud after another at QB....And the freshman recruits at QB seemed like D3 talents to me....

Ndsu was a machine. Didn’t matter who was under center 

totally disagree - our OL was starting to feast on them, then Victor slipped on that unrooted turf, leading to ambrose calling for a long FG, which was blocked and returned for a TD (or close to it) and we never recovered.  Athens shoulder was shot.  Enders with his arms and legs, with that OL and West, and we win that game going away.  We had more yards than they did when we made that dumb choice for the FG