• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Thompson, Russell lead MBB to 83-67 win over Coppin State

Interesting, we won both halves by 8 points. In a game where Timberlake struggled to score, I thought the heroes were Sylla and Russell. Was particularly impressed with Russell’s 3-point stroke.  Nice to see Conway drain 2 3’s. From where I was seated, Gibson was moving very gingerly and didn’t look like someone who’s going to be playing anytime soon. Hopefully, my assessment is wrong.

This is not your father’s Coppin. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they win the MEAC. Holding Sessoms to under 20 was quite the accomplishment. Man would I love to have him on our squad 

Edited by TSU88

Good game for the role players. you expect that at home. The fact that many of the new guys contributed tonight is a huge plus. We need more road nick than secu nick.  
Thought hicks did well (Russell too) defending seasoms and tarke. Coppin had the best two on the court but Towson had the next 9 best players. 

agree with above. Gibson looked very Uncomfortable. If he plays before mid caa play, I’d be surprised. 

5-0 with tougher games ahead. 
I watched Northern Iowa yesterday despite losing they were super efficient and a perfect test for our team next month.  

We really haven’t played a great 40 minute game.  Best basketball ahead of us we hope. 

I know May and Conway need to defend better but I want to see these two guys play more and while shooting 9-24 from 3.. Conway was 2-4.  Gotta find him minutes come CAA play.  We have to be able to shoot the 3 ball consistently to get where we want to go.  

Hicks now 10 assists to 8 turnovers while averaging 21 minutes a game.  Yes he needs to develop an offensive game but for this specific season I love this kid who defends and takes care of the ball.  He’s gonna be a huge reason whether we dance or not.  Not trying to put all on him but Nick and Gibby are guys who play hard and seem to never be 100%.  Hicks is key to this season. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

5-0 with tougher games ahead. 
I watched Northern Iowa yesterday despite losing they were super efficient and a perfect test for our team next month.  

We really haven’t played a great 40 minute game.  Best basketball ahead of us we hope. 

I know May and Conway need to defend better but I want to see these two guys play more and while shooting 9-24 from 3.. Conway was 2-4.  Gotta find him minutes come CAA play.  We have to be able to shoot the 3 ball consistently to get where we want to go.  

Hicks now 10 assists to 8 turnovers while averaging 21 minutes a game.  Yes he needs to develop an offensive game but for this specific season I love this kid who defends and takes care of the ball.  He’s gonna be a huge reason whether we dance or not.  Not trying to put all on him but Nick and Gibby are guys who play hard and seem to never be 100%.  Hicks is key to this season. 

Yeah much tougher games ahead. This is preseason. December will be tough.  Toughest schedule by far in the caa as well. 
Russel or Conway need to hit threes with Gibson out a while

• Like 1

Ok, very busy tonight. We are 5-0. Here are the comments

Sekou

"My sixth three-pointer ever. Still low."

"It felt good especially since they are from Baltimore so it's a rivalry game."

Cam on playing smaller team

"They have a unique style. They take you off the bounce. They play team basketball. It tests our one-on-one defense. I got beaten off the dribble. I'm used to people cutting."

Charles Thompson on starting out 5-0

"Everybody talks about it. We're just having fun. This not a surprise to us. We asked for a tough schedule on the road and we got it."

Holden 

"We have skilled guys. We play inside-out. I can post up point guard since I play the point. It frees Charlie up for a dunk or Nic up for a layup. "

On not having Gibson

"Jason is a great leader. I play 1 through 4 on this team. Radhir was a little banged up. Whatever spot they need me in."

On rebounding

Sekou

"All week. Coach Skerry was emphasizing boxing out. We did that in practice all week."

CT on balance

"We trust each other. The offense is made for everyone to thrive in. We're all capable of putting the ball in the bucket."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yeah much tougher games ahead. This is preseason. December will be tough.  Toughest schedule by far in the caa as well. 
Russel or Conway need to hit threes with Gibson out a while

Fairfield comes in 0-4.   Dangerous game if we aren’t ready to play.  Fields is shooting 48% from 3 thus far. 

Skerry comments

"Happy with the win. Juan has done a really good job turning that program around. They are hard to play against. They are not rattled. We couldn't shake them. Thought it was good to getting Cam back to being Cam. Rebounding was outstanding. Second half we took care of the ball."

On Russell's play

"Sessoms is really good. He earned some trust late in the game by taking care of the ball, making good shots. He's a good fit for the sauce we're trying to put together. Good ingredient. Thought Cam found people and guys knocked down shots. It wasn't a night where Nic had his best night. Coppin took him out of it. Good to get Ryan Conway going. He's going to be a good player for us."

On CT

"We need to keep him on the floor. He plays so hard. He's so strong and aggressive. He's a game-changer for us."

On 23-0 run

"We want our ball movement to define us. That gave us a good separation. We just couldn't shake them."

On Gibson's status

"He's day-to-day. We're hopeful this weekend. Just want to make sure...12 minutes before tip-off at Greensboro, his back locked up on him like me shovel snow. I didn't do a good job coaching the first half, It threw us for a loop. Hopefully, he'll be back this weekend. If we have him back, that we know he's going to be good. He's a key piece for us."

"Radhir Hicks got cleared about 4:30 this afternoon. He sprained his ankle on Saturday. His effort was admirable. I thought he was dragging late. We have to get healthy. Cam tore ligaments in his hand against UMass. We're not really practicing him. Just trying to keep him healthy for games. It's part of the deal."

On Cam at point guard

"He's done it a lot for us all year. He did a better job taking care of the ball. I thought our guys did a better job with spacing and cutting to help him out. He's such a good passer that guys rely on him, thinking that he'll make a play. Versus helping him out. He does deliver the ball."

On Timberlake's struggles

"The younger version of him, you worry about meltdowns. Or forcing it. He's past that. It's better when he makes shots, but they did a good job on him tonight."

On rebounding

"Good to see us getting back to doing that. We pride ourselves on that. We're not quite there yet. We had more of that mentality that we had against UMass. Sylla, Holden and Thompson. The physcality can wear people down."

"Thought it was a very good crowd, right before Thanksgiving. Good for local basketball. Leaving at 5am tomorrow Savanah on Saturday. I'm the idiot that made the schedule. It will toughen us up for CAA play."

"We have a lot of things we have to get better at. Our competitiveness and winning DNA showed up against UNC Greensboro. We have the belief. Don't always have that with every group. Things tactically we have to get better at."

On starting 5-0

"Show film on what they did well and didn't. I know what guys consume. That's hard (to get focused). If you don't keep getting better, you are not going to get the opportunities you want later in the year. I think our guys understand that. What we do this weekend is hopefuly give us a chance to have an experience in March."

Was really hoping to talk to Russell tonight. I thought he was the best player on the floor at times because he had defended Sessoms most of the time and did a great job on him. He also made two big threes to clinch the game. I think he scored a layup on him late, but don't remember him scoring many points with #22 on him. He had 14 points, six rebounds and made 4-of-7 from 3pt range. Cam had a nice all-around game and didn't notice he injured his hand against UMass. Hicks was also playing with a sprained ankle. He did have four assists and two rough turnovers in the first half. 

The key to me was Conway (3-5 FG, 2-4 3pg) who had 8 points and a rebound (no turnovers) off the bench. He wasn't Gary Payton defensively, but he wasn't terrible. If he can be just average on defense and knock down 2-3 shots a game off the bench, that would be a huge help. Saw the potential finally tonight. The explosion on that small lefty layup for his first basket ever. He just needs to play and I think he'll be a key player down the road. Sylla as well gave us 23 big minutes with 14 and 7. Defensively, you have to hide him some. He made a three tonight and I'm not saying he should be a stretch 4, but I'd like to see him hit that mid-range shot and that will open up his game some. I wasn't shocked he played well tonight against a small frontcourt. Can he do against a bigger frontcourt? Need to see more.

Big test over the weekend. Assuming Gibby won't play or even fly if he is that gimpy. There are other ways to help the pain and I've been there. Maybe it hasn't come that yet.