• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB beats Mercer 70-60 to go 2-1 in Savannah

50 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Gibson helps us offensively there is no doubt. We just have better spacing with him and he's another ballhandler. If we lose him for extensive time, it's going to be rough against those teams. But it's not about bringing your A game in November. If Conway can give us 15mpg off the bench when it counts and Gibson is healthy, we'll be ok. If Gibson is hurt, we're going to have to win a lot of rock fights and Nic is going to see a lot of attention. He doesn't need to put up 25, but I think some of these guys are looking at numbers so they can play overseas. He's pressing. Just needs to play within himself. If he can get 4-5 dimes than fine.

Let's face it. We didn't lose a lot but everyone is going to come after us this season and we're not playing our best at this point. Maybe we can turn it on in conference play, maybe not. Even the bad teams will be a struggle for us that way we are playing but if we can win the whole thing that way, I'll take my blood pressure going up.

Matt, Is there any prognosis or other info to give us an idea when the Gibster might return?.. 

After the last few games where we've had some looks at Conway, maybe he'll improve enough to where he'll be competent to spot for Gibson? 

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

7–1 record with 6 games on the road and all the expectations.  Don’t care who the competition has been..  impressive start to the season.   

We all have to ease up on Timberlake.  He’s playing 35 minutes a game.  Averaging 15 points and more importantly his assist to turnover ratio in the positive. 19-16 

Yes he struggled this weekend but he’s not a pro so expecting him to be great every single game is too much.  

2-1 with no Gibby and Hicks for only 1 of the games..  This could have easily been a 0-3 road tourney.

How many guys we play against Albany???  Don’t look now but PS has more groceries to cook with!

Nic is his own worst enemy at times and you can tell he gets on himself a lot. We do as well because he's not just some scrub. He's coming off a first-team All-Conference season. While you say he's not a pro, he's not an NBA player. But Juwan Gray is playing overseas. TJ Parker-Rivera had a career. Terry Nolan signed a contract. He might be pressing to get that pro look and he's probably trying to get around 20ppg. He didn't do that last season and as you said 15ppg would be fine if he was a lot more consistent. HOWEVER, Cam is the man and some nights it will be Nic's and other night's Cam or Charles. We're finding a way to win w/o two key guys. Gibson hopefully will return by conference play. Just not sure when.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

7–1 record with 6 games on the road and all the expectations.  Don’t care who the competition has been..  impressive start to the season.   

We all have to ease up on Timberlake.  He’s playing 35 minutes a game.  Averaging 15 points and more importantly his assist to turnover ratio in the positive. 19-16 

Yes he struggled this weekend but he’s not a pro so expecting him to be great every single game is too much.  

2-1 with no Gibby and Hicks for only 1 of the games..  This could have easily been a 0-3 road tourney.

How many guys we play against Albany???  Don’t look now but PS has more groceries to cook with!

No one, that I’m aware of, is raking Timberlake over the coals. Sometimes things aren’t always sunshine, rainbows and lollipops. This team is going to go as far as Timberlake, CT and Holden can take them. I think it’s objectively accurate to note that Timberlake sometimes fluctuates between brilliant games and games where he struggles. No one, least of all me, expects perfection from him, but I would like to see more peaks and less valleys 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

Matt, Is there any prognosis or other info to give us an idea when the Gibster might return?.. 

After the last few games where we've had some looks at Conway, maybe he'll improve enough to where he'll be competent to spot for Gibson? 

Conway is not a point guard, though you can say the same about Gibby. Conway is a shooter and Hicks is a defender (when healthy). 

I don't know when Gibson is going to return, but it doesn't sound like he's going to play any time soon. There is no rush. And when he returns, assuming Hicks is there, you don't need him to play 30 minutes. In fact, if Conway continues to progress, you can play Nic less minutes as well. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Nic is his own worst enemy at times and you can tell he gets on himself a lot. We do as well because he's not just some scrub. He's coming off a first-team All-Conference season. While you say he's not a pro, he's not an NBA player. But Juwan Gray is playing overseas. TJ Parker-Rivera had a career. Terry Nolan signed a contract. He might be pressing to get that pro look and he's probably trying to get around 20ppg. He didn't do that last season and as you said 15ppg would be fine if he was a lot more consistent. HOWEVER, Cam is the man and some nights it will be Nic's and other night's Cam or Charles. We're finding a way to win w/o two key guys. Gibson hopefully will return by conference play. Just not sure when.

Obviously Nic will be a pro after his Towson career ends..  I’m just saying ease up on the kid. He’s already had some huge games for us this season.  These are college players and they are gonna have off nights.   

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Obviously Nic will be a pro after his Towson career ends..  I’m just saying ease up on the kid. He’s already had some huge games for us this season.  These are college players and they are gonna have off nights.   

You know we're not going to be easy on guys that are seniors but you are right, it's a mental thing. So I'll personally try to ease up but I can't control everyone else. This is also a message board so we are going to bitch, cry and moan about everything.

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

You know we're not going to be easy on guys that are seniors but you are right, it's a mental thing. So I'll personally try to ease up but I can't control everyone else. This is also a message board so we are going to bitch, cry and moan about everything.

Reminds me of the Dr. Pepper Fansville commercial where 1 of the characters is criticized by other fans for not caring about the team, because he hasn’t posted any insane rants on the team’s message board 😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Oh this wasn’t directed at you.  You get it.  
We’ve all been tough on certain players throughout the years.  I just think we need to praise Nic more and understand that the mental side of the game can be difficult at times.   
That kid cares a ton as they all do and I hate to see him press so much.  

7-1 record thus far and we’ve only played 2 home games.  Great job thus far. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Oh this wasn’t directed at you.  You get it.  
We’ve all been tough on certain players throughout the years.  I just think we need to praise Nic more and understand that the mental side of the game can be difficult at times.   
That kid cares a ton as they all do and I hate to see him press so much.  

7-1 record thus far and we’ve only played 2 home games.  Great job thus far. 

I thought he should have been pulled in the second half and then he makes this great play where he dives near the Mercer bench and saves it. I think it led to a basket. There are so many things you can do aside from scoring. He can block shots and rebound. He has to realize he can do other things.More worried about other so-called D2 players.

• Like 1

Some of the expectations from people in here have gotten out of hand. Have we forgotten what Towson basketball has been the last 30 years? Do we remember what it was like to be 1-31 or even just a couple year ago winning just 4 games. We’re 7-1 and one of the best mid major basketball teams in the country. Enjoy this as I can promise you it won’t last forever. Good grief.

And I’m not saying we can’t be critical of this team at times. But some of you have clearly forgotten where we came from. Have a little appreciation for these guys. 

I don’t post in here often but I do read before and after every game. Just couldn’t keep mouth shut this time. 7-1 with tons of growth potential. Man this could be an exciting/special year. I’m excited to enjoy the ride. 

• Like 4