• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Pete Shinnick named football coach

It was either going to be a great HC at D2 (or otherwise) or an assistant at the FBS level who wanted to step down but take on the leadership role of the HC, with an unknown track record as a HC... Lets see what the presser brings. 

I personally felt like we needed someone with a track record of success and a proven winner and this guy appears to meet that criteria for sure. Hard to argue with his resume.  Will it translate at this level?  Will top level FCS talent be clamoring to come play for this guy? Who knows?

I will be very interested to see what kind of staff he brings with him.  Will he just bring his current staff or will he look to upgrade?  How "hands-on" is he with Xs/Os?  Is he a fantastic recruiting salesman and game day motivator? 

More questions than answers right now, but absolutely need to throw all of our support behind him.

Go Tigers!!

Not all OC's, DC's or position coaches are cut out to be a head coach, but he's proven he is. Not sure if there was a younger, proven candidate out there who was ready or available. An experienced head coach surrounded by young energetic coaches sounds good.

Edited by towsonx
  • Like 1

I'm guardedly optimistic. HC hires are almost always a crap shoot, so risk is unavoidable. I would not have renewed my season tickets had RA been retained, but I'm already looking forward to what the future will bring. (2023 would be a tall order for any new hire, but hope springs eternal.) And for what it's worth, I remember Don Shinnick well, back when the Colts were fearsome on defense in the late '50s and 1960s. He was as hard-nosed as they come.

Don’t mind his DII experience at all. In fact, I was hoping the Slippery Rock coach would have somehow found his way into the mix. I liked his record, regional connections and his age. I think that dude could have a bright future in the FCS or FBS ranks.

After thinking about the Shinnick hiring some more, what I hope could be a silver lining are his connections to Florida high school programs. Wouldn’t mind some more Florida speed and talent in Baltimore. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Don’t mind his DII experience at all. In fact, I was hoping the Slippery Rock coach would have somehow found his way into the mix. I liked his record, regional connections and his age. I think that dude could have a bright future in the FCS or FBS ranks.

After thinking about the Shinnick hiring some more, what I hope could be a silver lining are his connections to Florida high school programs. Wouldn’t mind some more Florida speed and talent in Baltimore. 

Agree with you about the possibility he could snag a few Florida kids 

Hearing a lot of good things tonight. He's apparently a super-positive guy. Giving out his Twitter handle if you want to follow him. Has over 20,000 followers. Apparently had some FBS offers as well. Heard we had some quality FBS assistants in the mix, but they were asking for a lot more resources than we could afford or what a typical CAA coordinator gets. Also think it's cool that he'll coach at Unitas Stadium and his father Don played with Johnny U. back with the Colts.

https://weartv.com/sports/uwf-sports/pete-shinnick-resigns-as-uwf-football-coach-to-take-same-position-with-towson

https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/college/university-west-florida/2022/12/11/uwf-football-pete-shinnick-head-coach-accepts-job-towson-resigns/69711024007/

https://twitter.com/peteshinnick?lang=en

• Like 3

Troy Taylor is 54 and just got snatched up by Stanford.  I like this hire a lot. 
This guy recruited for Oregon State when he first got started in college ball.  
He is very offensive minded and we will be throwing the ball a whole lot more. 
Maybe not the Air Raid offense but very similar schemes etc.   

Edited by Bay Area Tiger