• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Pete Shinnick named football coach

I think it is pretty hard to call this a good or bad hire without knowing all of the options that are available and what the ultimate plans for this program might be. The point that someone else brought up that Shinnick has built two programs from scratch fairly quickly and effectively is a good one. I know we are not building from scratch, but at some point in the 3-5 years we will have to shift one way or another in levels and/or conferences. It feels like we had a solid AD and a football coach who has planned and guided teams from scratch to high levels of success. That seems like the right blend of experiences for the journey that awaits.

I also have a high level of respect for anyone who guides a program to national championship at any level. Especially if they aren't just given the keys to the best and most funded program (full admission, I have no idea where West Florida fits in this equation). West Florida was third in the nation scoring this year and made the national semifinals this year. In 2017, they made the national title game and 2019 as was mentioned before the won it all (there was a stat mentioned somewhere that it matched the quickest that a program has won a national title after being started).

Also, NDSU was pretty much D2 until their full transition ended in 2008, and they have been terrorizing FCS (and for that matter FBS) shortly after that timing. If Shinnick can coach, I don't really really think it matters what his age, recruiting background and or level he is coming from that this point. I am looking forward to hearing from and getting to know about Coach Shinnick

• Like 3

https://247sports.com/Article/Towson-hires-West-Floridas-Pete-Shinnick-as-its-next-head-coach-200194350/

Seens like he was extremely well liked from all the Twitter mentions. Now the key is whether he can recruit. I was looking into whether their QB might join him. He’s a big dual threat guy at around 6-3 245 even though his name is Peewee but completion percentage was rough and

https://goargos.com/sports/football/roster/peewee-jarrett/6776

Not sure he takes his DC with him, but I assume so unless he gets the head coaching job. I would assume we would be doubling his pay or close. Steve Saulnier, the OL and associate head coach, has been with him along time. Unless he gets the head coaching job, I assume he follows as well.

https://goargos.com/staff-directory/darian-dulin/180

https://goargos.com/staff-directory/steve-saulnier/56

Probably doesn’t mean much, but I’ve watched a couple of his post game pressers from UWF, and I like his demeanor. Straight shooter type. Seems like he’ll represent the program well. 

Let’s hope he can recruit and win ballgames. 

Going into this thing I was not sure what I was expecting and after this hire I am not sure what to think.  Never going to happen but it would be nice to have had a crystal ball or something to look at the top 3 finalist to compare.  I think someone on this thread, probably Mat eluded to money in terms of what other candidates may have wanted.  Hiring a D2 coach means he is definitely making less than what Rob made.  Does the coaching pool for assistants stay the same or does that go down as well?  Hoping he was chosen because he was the best candidate and not a budget move to save a few bucks

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Going into this thing I was not sure what I was expecting and after this hire I am not sure what to think.  Never going to happen but it would be nice to have had a crystal ball or something to look at the top 3 finalist to compare.  I think someone on this thread, probably Mat eluded to money in terms of what other candidates may have wanted.  Hiring a D2 coach means he is definitely making less than what Rob made.  Does the coaching pool for assistants stay the same or does that go down as well?  Hoping he was chosen because he was the best candidate and not a budget move to save a few bucks

Did Curt Cignetti move from IUP to Elon to JMU for less money than the going rate? No. My understanding of the situationis that during the interview processs, some of the candidates may not have understood the financial structure of FCS football.  ie (a private jet and an $8mm recruiting budget)

17 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Look up Lance Leopold

His record at Wisconsin Whitewater was 109-6. That’s not a typo. What good’s a coach who loses 6 games 😆

I think the conversation about recruiting and staff assembly is ultimately more interesting than looking back at the past accomplishments, but one thing I do find interesting when you look at Shinnick's time at UNC-Pembroke is he started the program back up had .676 winning percentage (50-24) and they made two NCAA D2 Tournament appearances. Since he left, they have made one tournament appearance and had a .435 winning percentage (37-48). 

I think one thing that I am always interesting in coaching hires is has the coach won at a place where others have trouble winning and/or taken jobs where they have had to create success rather than walking into it. My guess is West Florida put some good resources into being good in D2 and being in Florida doesn't hurt. However, I just looked at the history of D2 National Championships and it appears West Florida's national title in 2019 and its appearance in the championship game in 2017 are the only ones every in D2 history by a college/university from the state of Florida. Of course, there are so many D1 Florida schools and they generally aim higher than trying to be good at the D2 level, but it is still an impressive accomplishment as far as I can tell.

Like I said it is hard to have complete context to judge the hire, but I do like that in general the two places Shinnick has been a head coach he has been a program builder. It will be different at this level, but I am glad we hired someone with experience doing this because we do need someone who understands this. Rob took as to the highest level of the FCS, and I think at minimum I would like to see Shinnick make us a consistent playoff team that makes some runs. What that looks like in the modern landscape of college football over the next 3-5 years I have no idea.  

• Like 2