• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Pete Shinnick named football coach

2 hours ago, tualum said:

Like him already then.. lol

9 hours ago, sr16 said:

Not sure how I feel about this but he runs a "no cussing pg mentality" type of style. Expects that of his guys too.. 

I hate to stereotype but in all honesty when I first saw his picture on Sunday I thought he appeared to be a "Gosh darn it" "Oh fiddlesticks" type of guy.  Time will tell but if no "F" bombs increases our "W" total I'm all for it.   I wonder how the first meeting with the team went as it is all about buy in right now.

12 hours ago, sr16 said:

Not sure how I feel about this but he runs a "no cussing pg mentality" type of style. Expects that of his guys too.. 

Very different from Ambrose talking about “f***ing up Jesus and his disciples” 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TUTigers said:

Very different from Ambrose talking about “f***ing up Jesus and his disciples” 

Opposite to the Skerry style as well from first hand experience hahah

Just a brief conversation I had with Steve Eigenbrot before we get to Coach Pete

What made Coach Pete the best candidate

““Resume’, national championship. I think a little bit more intricate reply is that has a lot to do with who he is a person. As a character and optimist. Had he won a championship and if he and I were not aligned, that wouldn’t work. I also think was that some coaches in all sports they can turn on head coach schtick. With Coach Pete, he is a very authentic individual. It’s who he is as a person.”

On taking over a program that doesn’t have to be rebuilt (6-5)

“Eyes wide open when were talking to Coach Pete and other candidates, you have to think about hirability. Obvious thing was that he was competing for Final 4 and a championship. He’s not running from a job. He’s not thirsty to be a head coach for the first time.”

On facilities

“The field house especially needs some work as we all know. We’re in a good spot as it relates to the conference. That matters too. We can be one of the better teams in our conference based on facilities, budget and resources. They were telling us in the candidate pool. That this is a good job.”

On future of FCS and CAA

“My crystal ball. The future of FCS is more stable than those who are racing for Group of Five opportunities. Not saying it’s going away. In a very unstable time, FCS is as stable as it gets, despite what has happened the last 10 days.”

“What are doing this for? He’s won a National Championship. Group of Five jobs? Hard to believe that in five years that it’s not a little different. What are you trying to do? (a playoff?).”

What’s next?

“Field house is next. Finishing the next phase. Cleanest path to the weight room solution is to have one right here (SECU/Towson Center). At South Carolina, we had all the resources in the world. We get three lifts in. Getting another weight room to help the other sports…we need another weight room, we don’t need another weight room that is so big that the football team can work at it in one time.”

On Stadium expansion

“We have to fill what we have before we expand in my humble opinion. If we’re making investments moving forward, we’re always going to prioritize things that can impact and improve the experience for our student-athletes. We need to sell a couple of thousand season tickets that we have to sell…there are plans out there. They exist.”

On campus

“Stadium renovation. Looking at lots 4 and 5. The master plan has a bridge coming over Osler. What are they bridging too. That’s a conversation we’re having. What can we do to invite more people from the community on a non-game day. People being on this side of campus for reasons other than Towson football or basketball practice, it’s still very important. We have people looking at that right now.

• Like 3

Coach Pete

“There are some difficult decisions to be made. Can’t talk about staff today. In the process, have to go through HR. Hopefully can make decisions in the next couple of days. The people that I want around me and the type of person has to put the student-athlete on the top of their last. We want our football players to represent our university in a first-class matter. We have a program theme that we talk about a lot. It’s Arete. A Greek word for excellence. It’s excellence of any kind. Living up to one’s fullest potential and it’s moral virtue. When we have an opportunity to talk to an 18-23 year old, we’ll talk to them about those qualities. When we hire this staff, it’s going to be a group of men who embrace that. I’ve followed this program for 10-12 years from the success and them going to the national championship. It’s always kind of been a job that I follow. I’m a football fan. I grew up around it. Four brothers played D1 football. My dad played 13 years in the NFL and coached for about 15. I follow football. That’s my hobby. I looked at this job from afar and if we can get everything in place, the success that we had earlier can be continued. This is a tremendous challenge and great opportunity for me. I’m excited to embrace that. Involving alums, donors, fanbase to make this a special place. The exciting thing is that there a lot of pieces in place to do that. Not easy, but a great opportunity to make this a place that they’ll be proud of.

Growing up the son of a football coach, people would say where were you from? And when you lived outside of Chicago, Oakland, Columbia (Mo.), Fayetteville, St. Louis, Colorado. I was born in Baltimore and then told them the 15 places I had lived and travelled across. I was born in Baltimore and now I’m from Towson. We have very high expectations. Will try and live up to them. Excited that Steve saw something in me. Fired up to be here.

On choosing Towson

“I’ve been blessed to talk to a handful of other programs over the years. Really was waiting for one that I could align myself with. That really desired and wanted the same things that I did. I was looking for a leader of an athletic dept. that wanted to see things done the right way. Had a vision for his football program to be successful. I don’t think just making a change at the top is the only thing that needs to take place. There has to be a lot of things that work together on that. I love what Steve laid out. Love what his vision for this athletic department is and what it could get to. I love how this team finished. I had the opportunity to meet with them and will meet with each position group. I love their fight and determination on how they finished.”

On comparing Towson to West Fla.

“I would love to not have the record my first year at UWF. That would be great to start off with. When you say start it from the ground up. When they hired me, they gave me a phone and a desk. The exciting thing about this is that it’s going to move fast. This is going to go quickly. We have a very good foundation here. We have an opportunity to infuse a little bit of who we are and how we do it by the people we bring in. I have very high expectations of what our first season will look like. We just talked about playing great football (at UWF). I’m looking forward to make it happen.”

On ability to recruit

“It’s a great university and it’s an amazing place. Within a 2.5 hour radius, there are a lot of young men, if they don’t know about us, they will soon. That is our desire and that’s what we want to see. We will get out and spend as much time as we possibly can to ignite that excitement about what the future of this school can be, playing football and getting a degree. This is an extremely impressive campus. I love what the entrance looks like. I love how this campus is put together. I’m looking forward to getting young men and their families on campus. The opportunity for parents, family and friends to watch their son play is a huge deal. I want as many people in the stands as possible. We can’t take everybody. HS coaches have told me who I should take. We’re trying to get the right person and right fit. I’m fired up to embrace that. We’ll have some guys on staff who know the area very well.”

On spending time in the ACC and other big programs

“I played under Bill McCartney at Colorado. Ken Hatfield at Arkansas and Clemson. Those guys helped set the foundation of probably what my philosophy moving forward was going to be. The biggest influence in my life was my dad. Was one of the smartest football coaches I’ve ever been around. He was the model that I was trying to follow. That set for me what I wanted to do as a coach. I want to impact them in a positive way. At Clemson, we had all the resources in the world. At Azuza Pacific, we had no resources. To make that work, that’s where my growth as a head coach, that’s taken from what’s applicable to the situation.”

On transfer portal

“It is what it is. It’s there. We’re going to use that as a resource to recruit. It’s part of the process. Free agency was allowed years ago. Everyone is using the transfer portal now. There will be some guidelines and restrictions on it. My desire is to recruit the best HS player that we can get into the program. If they do someplace else, let them know that we care about them. We have to find the right fit for this university and this program. Every place I’ve been, I can tell you all the pluses of the university, the town, the facilities, etc. The best thing that we ever had at any of those programs were our players. We are going to find the right people. It will take some time finding them. We will see who the right is for our team.”

On players leaving from the team

“I’ve made a pitch at the team meeting. We’ll try to get with them individually also. My pitch is that they chose Towson for a reason. I would like them to give us an opportunity to keep them around and see what this experience would be like under a new staff.”

On playing Maryland, who is playing in the Mayo Bowl

“We will be definitely watching that. Here’s what I’ll say about a Towson alum. Coach Locksley gave me a phone call. Right after the announcement. I did not know he was a Towson alum. For the next 10 minutes, he said I want to see this program achieve great success. Anything I can do to help you. If you want to stop by bowl practice…and I said I think I saw them on the schedule. He said, I don’t care. I want my university to be great. That speaks volumes of the type of person that he is and the pride he has in our university.”

On the CAA

“One of the reasons, I took the West Florida job is that they compete in the Gulf South Conference and that’s one of the best D2 conferences in the nation. I feel very strongly about the CAA. The number of teams that could make the playoffs. It’s well respected and is difficult. The top half of the league gets it and knows what it looks like to be successful at the FCS level. That is what we want to be. Want to prove who we are on the national level.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Just a brief conversation I had with Steve Eigenbrot before we get to Coach Pete

What made Coach Pete the best candidate

““Resume’, national championship. I think a little bit more intricate reply is that has a lot to do with who he is a person. As a character and optimist. Had he won a championship and if he and I were not aligned, that wouldn’t work. I also think was that some coaches in all sports they can turn on head coach schtick. With Coach Pete, he is a very authentic individual. It’s who he is as a person.”

On taking over a program that doesn’t have to be rebuilt (6-5)

“Eyes wide open when were talking to Coach Pete and other candidates, you have to think about hirability. Obvious thing was that he was competing for Final 4 and a championship. He’s not running from a job. He’s not thirsty to be a head coach for the first time.”

On facilities

“The field house especially needs some work as we all know. We’re in a good spot as it relates to the conference. That matters too. We can be one of the better teams in our conference based on facilities, budget and resources. They were telling us in the candidate pool. That this is a good job.”

On future of FCS and CAA

“My crystal ball. The future of FCS is more stable than those who are racing for Group of Five opportunities. Not saying it’s going away. In a very unstable time, FCS is as stable as it gets, despite what has happened the last 10 days.”

“What are doing this for? He’s won a National Championship. Group of Five jobs? Hard to believe that in five years that it’s not a little different. What are you trying to do? (a playoff?).”

What’s next?

“Field house is next. Finishing the next phase. Cleanest path to the weight room solution is to have one right here (SECU/Towson Center). At South Carolina, we had all the resources in the world. We get three lifts in. Getting another weight room to help the other sports…we need another weight room, we don’t need another weight room that is so big that the football team can work at it in one time.”

On Stadium expansion

“We have to fill what we have before we expand in my humble opinion. If we’re making investments moving forward, we’re always going to prioritize things that can impact and improve the experience for our student-athletes. We need to sell a couple of thousand season tickets that we have to sell…there are plans out there. They exist.”

On campus

“Stadium renovation. Looking at lots 4 and 5. The master plan has a bridge coming over Osler. What are they bridging too. That’s a conversation we’re having. What can we do to invite more people from the community on a non-game day. People being on this side of campus for reasons other than Towson football or basketball practice, it’s still very important. We have people looking at that right now.

Lol 6-5 program who hasn’t won much in a decade , “not rebuilding”. 

appreciate the honest responses from the AD.  
But the fcs will still exist, it just won’t be as good. (All levels of football have seen the Talent drop off)

why is there any talk about expansion and stadium renovations?!?  Why?!? There’s no point.  Build the damn bridge that they have been talking about since I was in school. 

Feel like this coaching move will either be a slam dunk or a total shitshow with little chance for anything in between. He doesn’t seem like the boisterous and personality type to get 15 good players in year one so it will take some time. Bless him for leaving sunny Florida for Towson. Wish him much success