• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Pete Shinnick named football coach

13 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Lol 6-5 program who hasn’t won much in a decade , “not rebuilding”. 

appreciate the honest responses from the AD.  
But the fcs will still exist, it just won’t be as good. (All levels of football have seen the Talent drop off)

why is there any talk about expansion and stadium renovations?!?  Why?!? There’s no point.  Build the damn bridge that they have been talking about since I was in school. 

Feel like this coaching move will either be a slam dunk or a total shitshow with little chance for anything in between. He doesn’t seem like the boisterous and personality type to get 15 good players in year one so it will take some time. Bless him for leaving sunny Florida for Towson. Wish him much success

Well, coming from a guy who started two programs and is looking at the fact that Towson hasn't been the worse team in the conference, it is pretty understandable that he doesn't think this will be a rebuild. I would agree. It is not like this program has been a joke the last 5-7 years. It just has done a very poor job of taking the next step of being a consistent playoff team. Especially considering it had a lot to build off in the early 2010s. 

To me Shinnick's charge is making this program a consistent FCS Playoff team and then building it to the point where we can make final 8, final four or even national champions. He certainly provided capable of that at West Florida, and that feels like the No. 1 reason Eigonbrot hired him. This is not a rebuild, but it actually might be harder because if we are 4-7 next year we are all going to be pretty hard on him because we have lived with decent/mediocre football for a while. We need it to get better quickly. 

I don't expect a real answer out of anyone regarding FCS or whatever future plans, because all we can do is be forward-thinking and plan two or three steps ahead so when the next dominos fall we are ready. FCS will not be much worse until Power 5 takes its ball and leaves the Group of Five. To me, at that point a lot or programs will have to figure out what resources they want to put into football. I also think there are programs in D2 that may jump in and make the FCS better long-term as the shuffle continues. NDSU was D2 about 18 years ago (and didn't finish the transition until 2008) and so was South Dakota State. However, there is a reckoning coming in regards to how much money people want to invest in football. I am interested to see if the new FBS playoff format is used to further alienate the Group of Five or if college football actually wants to incorporate them in a small way to provide a March Madness underdog element (which clearly doesn't work quite as well in football). 

I am going on record that I am pretty sure this hire won't be a shitshow. Shinnick seems pretty grounded in his principles, and it feels like Eigonbrot has some good reasoning for bringing him here. What it could easily be is mediocrity and not being able to get over the hump or get momentum, which would be much of the same and very disappointing. That would not completely surprise me. However, I do feel like Shinnick has the background to at least get this going in the right direction. As much as people bitch about Same Old Towson and where this program has been recently, I think we can say that each of the last three coaches have significantly moved the ball to make this program better during their tenure. Now having given Gordy and Rob credit for their roles in doing that, both of them also reached a point where it was absolutely time to go to move the program forward. It will be interesting to see if Shinnick can continue that path of moving the level of the program up while he is here. 

• Like 2

I just think it's refreshing and fascinating to see someone who has no prior/existing connection to Towson at the helm.  Our previous 4 coaches were all Towson "lifers".  Felt a bit high schoolish that each coach was someone with direct ties to the program.....felt a little bit like nepotism and a small-minded approach to hiring.  Having an outsider, with bona fide success and credentials at other programs with no preconceived notions or bias towards the program is great.  He's coming in looking at things with fresh eyes and is not jaded by any historical connection to the program.  

Will he succeed?  Who knows.  However, he's not beholden to doing things the "Towson" way, he gets to do things his way.  With each passing day and with every little bit more info/content I see or read about him, I like this hire more & more.

Can't wait to see the staff he puts together.

• Like 6

I was in the unimpressed camp when I first heard about the hire, but I'm becoming more and more of a fan. Pete seems like a high character guy who tries to treat his players right and build them up. I know how many of us took issue with Rob's apparent smugness and attitude so this is a welcome change. I also think that while we aren't a total rebuild or perennial bottomfeeder, we have been mostly middling for what feels like forever now. It's great to have a coach who has successfully gone through the process of building programs from scratch. He's certainly starting from a better place here than he did at his other schools and I look forward to seeing what he does with our resources. 

I really liked Steve's answers about this hire and the future of the program. We hired a winner and the immediate focus has to be becoming a consistent playoff contender. I appreciate his honesty about needing to fill Unitas as it is before we ever worry about expansion or whatever else, even if those plans already exist. I like the blend of optimism, drive, and realism. Call me naïve, but I feel good about the future. 

9 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I just think it's refreshing and fascinating to see someone who has no prior/existing connection to Towson at the helm.  Our previous 4 coaches were all Towson "lifers".  Felt a bit high schoolish that each coach was someone with direct ties to the program.....felt a little bit like nepotism and a small-minded approach to hiring.  Having an outsider, with bona fide success and credentials at other programs with no preconceived notions or bias towards the program is great.  He's coming in looking at things with fresh eyes and is not jaded by any historical connection to the program.  

Will he succeed?  Who knows.  However, he's not beholden to doing things the "Towson" way, he gets to do things his way.  With each passing day and with every little bit more info/content I see or read about him, I like this hire more & more.

Can't wait to see the staff he puts together.

Exactly. There were plenty on here clamoring for an alum and ones without experience at that!  It would make the football people “happy” and would donate lmfao